Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The President Is Missing
This topic is about The President Is Missing
Archive - Group Reads > The President is Missing by Bill Clinton & James Patterson (spoilers) - August 2018

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Jul 23, 2018 12:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  Paullin | 1286 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson, your hostess is Diane.

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.

Summary

As the novel opens, a threat looms. Enemies are planning an attack of unprecedented scale on America. Uncertainty and fear grip Washington. There are whispers of cyberterror and espionage and a traitor in the cabinet. The President himself becomes a suspect, and then goes missing...

Set in real time, over the course of three days, The President Is Missing is one of the most dramatic thrillers in decades. And it could all really happen. The President Is Missing is Bill Clinton and James Patterson's totally authentic and spellbinding thriller.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments Hello readers,

Is anyone reading? What did you think of the opening being an impeachment hearing? Bold of the former President to lead with this. They say write what you know.

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments Yes! I am reading. My mom actually grabbed my copy and also started reading.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments HAHA. You both can contribute to the discussion...if she will share.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments I live in Los Angeles. The water plant scenario is terrifying. Is it the end game or a distraction from something else?

message 6: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Aicher | 6 comments I was surprised by the end. I mean, I figured it out, but not long before "the big reveal". That redeemed some of the weaker points for me.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments yes. The strategy to keep individuals in the dark of the ultimate use of their talents are key to any kind of terrorism. In any kind of cyberterrorism there is also an essential element of social engineering. Mastering social engineering was a concept that I learned in cyberterrorism training by FEMA. It was a training held at that water treatment facility in southern California. This book is similar to the training scenario used too.

message 8: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  Paullin | 1286 comments Mod
I've finished. In spite of myself, I found myself enjoying this book. I thought this was a well-told thriller/mystery. The scenario of cyber-terrorist in the book is actually pretty terrifying.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments Gem wrote, "The scenario of cyber-terrorist in the book is actually pretty terrifying." I totally agree. This story informs us as well as entertains. I think the topic of cyber-terrorism is something we don't like to really think about or imagine that it will be too complicated to understand. This book overcomes that obstacle.