Play Book Tag discussion

The Heart's Invisible Furies
This topic is about The Heart's Invisible Furies
Archive: Other Books > The Heart's Invisible Furies - John Boyne - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutely loved this book for so many different reasons. At times, this story made me laugh out loud, and at others, it brought me to tears. It was deeply heartfelt and moving. The characters were not only easy to get to know but it was a joy to know them. The protagonist Cyril is someone with whom you wish you were friends so that the two of you could go to a pub, drink a pint and laugh a lot, even in the midst of pain and hardship. This book was beautifully written, and the dialogue among characters was captivating.

The Heart's Invisible Furies is a story about relationships. Being gay cost Cyril a great deal. But so many people factored into his life in both big and small ways in spite of this. What is family? Not always your blood relatives, but often those who love you unconditionally and accept you for who you are. My youngest son is gay and I thought of him so often as I read this book. I can’t imagine him experiencing even some of what Cyril experienced. He has been fortunate to have strong relationships with those in his inner circle who see him for who he is: a human being who only wants to be loved and allowed to fit into this world of so many stereotypes. While my son is only 18, this book was personal for me and I connected with Cyril in a very motherly way.

The author, John Boyne, included so much humor in this novel, especially in the conversations Cyril had with others. It’s a serious book, but the generous portions of levity kept the story at the perfect emotional level. This is one of the things that made me love this book so much. Often when life is difficult, humor must play a part in order for emotional balance to be maintained, and this aspect of the book resonated strongly with me.

The art of great dialogue sometimes seems to be lost in pages and pages and pages of descriptive prose. While Boyne's descriptions were wonderfully done, they were only there to set the stage for his dialogue. His absolutely amazing and literate dialogue was one of the best features in this book. It was perfectly executed.

The Heart’s Invisible Furies is peppered with quirky conversations, people from many walks of life, and numerous events. The author never loses track of the plot, it is solid and consistent throughout. With a story that is 600 pages long I am sure that can’t be easy to do, but he absolutely succeeded. Both the idea of individual identity and the question of what makes up a family are skillfully woven into the themes of the book as Cyril creates a family of other seekers, and inherits from circumstances that arose and joined him in his path to “what is life” and “what is family?”

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8299 comments Loved every word of this review! Almost as much as I love the book itself. You are a beautiful writer with an incisive thoughtful mind.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Loved every word of this review! Almost as much as I love the book itself. You are a beautiful writer with an incisive thoughtful mind."

Thank you Amy. That touches my heart. I loved this book so much.