Beta Reader Group discussion

Writing Advice & Discussion > 'Premium' Digital Proofreading Sit...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eve (new)

Eve Ashland (eve_ashland) | 3 comments Two weeks ago I downloaded and have been using the Gram---ly editing site for cover letters mostly (and a few chapters of my work) and am actually very impressed. My mistakes primarily come in the form of duplicate words or misplaced commas... Circumstantially, the site also points out additional errors that the 'Premium' option can help to correct.

That being said, has anyone tried the Premium version of the Gram---ly App? I am so tempted to purchase it (I can even get it at half price at the moment) but would like some first-hand/non-automated feedback. Thank you in advance...

message 2: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Alcyone | 275 comments I haven't used Grammarly, but I have used the paid version of its competitor, ProWritingAid. For me, ProWritingAid was worth it. As with any automated checker, you still have to use your brain and know when to ignore the software, and it's not a true replacement for a qualified human editor. But it was much better than Word's built-in check and it caught things I'd have missed.

message 3: by Eve (new)

Eve Ashland (eve_ashland) | 3 comments This is very helpful. I do only expect to use it for spelling and punctuation issues. Problems with syntax and diction, I know, will be more complicated and will need a human touch. I'll be sure to check out ProWritingAid. Thank you!

message 4: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Alcyone | 275 comments You're welcome! ProWritingAid often goes on sale (I've seen it up to 50% off), so if you try it and ultimately decide you like it and want to go for the paid version, poke around online and see if you can find a code.

That said -- the free version of ProWritingAid is actually quite good and has a lot of features. So you might not even need to spring for the premium version depending on how you use it.