Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

To Infinity and Beyond > 60 Years of Songs that tell 60 Stories

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (last edited Sep 27, 2019 06:48AM) (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I am pretty certain that my song theme will not win in the 5th round of polling. I was surprised that many didn't have any interest in music and thought that it would be a hard theme to fill. I decided to pick 60 years of songs (1940-1999) that could tell stories to make my own wacky kind of challenge. First I picked a song from each year, not necessarily my favorites but songs that had a broad range of themes. I then set a theme based on the title or artist. After that I picked my books. I've already started the challenge, as the list was done on Wednesday, and will finish it next year. I encourage other music lovers to try it. It was so much fun to pull it together. I used this helpful site to select my songs. https://tsort.info/music/yr1940.htm
✔️1. Night & Day by Billie Holiday (A book with a day of the week in the title)
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Alan Sillitoe 4.25 Stars
2. Blues in the Night by Artie Shaw (A book with night in the title)
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
✔️3. Deep in the Heart of Texas by Gene Autry (A book set in TX)
The Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry 4 Stars
✔️4. Pistol Packin' Mama by Al Dexter and his Troopers (A book that echoes the title of the song)
Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart 3 Stars
✔️5. This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie (A book about an explorer/traveler/wanderer/hobo)
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 3.75 Stars
✔️6. I'm Beginning to See the Light by Duke Ellington (A book set in the Jazz Age) 4.25 Stars
Jazz by Toni Morrison
✔️7. Blue Skies by Count Basie (A book with a Blue Cover or Blue in the title)
Invisible by Paul Auster 3.75 Stars
✔️8. Temptation by Red Ingel and Jo Stafford (A book with a three syllable title) by W.G. Sebald
Austerlitz by Aldous Huxley 4 Stars
9. Boogie Chillun by John Lee Hooker (A book about a prostitute)
Chéri by Colette
✔️10. La Vie En Rose by Edith Piaf (A book with a type of bird in the title)
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
✔️11. Mona Lisa by Nat King Cole (A book with portrait in the title or about a painter)
The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James 4.25 Stars
✔️12. Dust My Broom by Elmore James (Book with a tool used to clean in the title, i.e., mop, rag, broom)
The Broom of the System by David Foster Wallace 4.25 Stars
✔️13. You Belong to Me by Jo Stafford (A book with a character being taken hostage, kidnapped, or possessed)
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson 4 Stars
✔️14. Your Cheatin’ Heart by Hank Williams (A book with heart in the title)
The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne 4 Stars
15. Earth Angel by The Penguins (A book with angel in the title)
Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster
16. Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley & his Comets (A book with time, clock or hours in the title or a clock on the cover)
Clock Without Hands by Carson McCullers
✔️17. Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley (A book set in a hotel)
A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles 4 Stars
✔️18. Tammy by Debbie Reynolds (A book with a title that is a woman's name)
Agnes Grey by Marquis de Sade 3.75 Stars
19. Tequila by The Champs (A book by an author with drinking problems)
The Love of the Last Tycoon by F. Scott Fitzgerald
✔️20. What'd I Say by Ray Charles (A title that is a question)
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Horace McCoy 3.75 Stars
✔️21. The Twist by Chubby Checker (A book with a twist ending)
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 2 Stars
✔️22. Take Five by Dave Brubeck (A title with 5 words)
The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy 4.5 Stars
✔️23. Soldier Boy by The Shirelles (A book about soldiers/war)
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque 4.75 Stars
✔️24. Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto (A Japanese author)
Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburō Ōe 4.75 Stars
✔️25. The House of the Rising Son by The Animals (A title with a type of home; apartment, house, mansion)
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton 5 Stars
26. Get off of My Cloud by The Rolling Stones (A title with cloud)
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
✔️27. Paperback Writer by The Beatles (A book about a writer)
The Wife by Meg Wolitzer 3.25 Stars
✔️28. Respect by Aretha Franklin (A book by a feminist)
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou 3.5 Stars
29. Hey Jude by The Beatles (A book with a character or an author named Jude or Judy)
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
✔️30. Je T'Aime (Moi Non Plus) by Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg (A book set in France)
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah 1.5 Stars
✔️31. Paranoid by Black Sabbath (A title with Black or Sunday)
Black Dogs by Ian McEwan 3.75 Stars
✔️32. Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin (A book about immigrants)
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
33. Your're So Vain by Carly Simon (A book with a vain character)
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
✔️34. Let's Get it On by Marvin Gaye (A book with a LGBTQIA protagonist)
Less by Andrew Sean Greer 3.75 Stars
35. TSOP (The Sound Of Philodelphia) by MFSB (A book set in Philadelphia)
Birdy by William Wharton
✔️36. The Hustle by Van McCoy (A book about con men or hustlers)
The Hustler by Walter Tevis 4.75 Stars
37. If You Leave Me Now by Chicago (A book with the name of a city, state, country or continent in the title)
The Master of Petersburg by J.M. Coetzee
38. God Save the Queen by The Sex Pistols (A book with a pistol)
Blind Man with a Pistol by Chester Himes
✔️39. Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush (Exact title match)
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 4.5 Stars
✔️40. London Calling by The Clash (A book set in London)
The Children Act by Ian McEwan 3.5 Stars
✔️41. Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd (A book title about construction)
Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction by J.D. Salinger 4 Stars
42. The River by Bruce Springsteen (A book with River in the title or river on the cover)
Deep River by Shūsaku Endō
43. We Got the Beat by The Go Gos (A beat writer or poet)
Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey
44. Rock of Ages Def Leppard (A book with an animal in the title)
The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
✔️45. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now by The Smiths (A book by an author named Smith)
NW by Zadie Smith 4.25 Stars
✔️46. We are the World by USA for Africa (A book by an African author or set in Africa)
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 3.25
✔️47. Nasty by Janet Jackson (A book relating to the lyric, "My name is Janet... Miss Jackson if you're nasty")
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark 4 Stars
✔️48. Orange Crush by REM (A book based on the lyric "I've got my orange crush")
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson 4 Stars
✔️49. Father Figure by George Michael (A book with an alliterative title)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré CURRENTLY READING
✔️50. She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals (A book in which a character is suffering from mental health/psychological issues)
The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn 3.25 Stars
51. Suicide Blonde by INXS (An author who committed suicide)
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima
✔️52. The Fly by U2 (A title with U or 2 in it)
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas 3.5 Stars
✔️53. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana (A book dealing with the sense of smell or with Nose in the title)
The Nose by Nikolai Gogol 4 Stars
✔️54. Creep by Radiohead (A book with a creepy character)
Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
✔️55. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden (A book with sun in the title)
Empire of the Sun by J.G. Ballard 4.5 Stars
✔️56. Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio (A book with Paradise in the title)
Paradise by Toni Morrison 4.5 Stars
✔️57. 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins (A book written in 1979)
Hear the Wind Sing by Haruki Murakami 3.75
✔️58. Don't Speak by No Doubt (A book about holding your tongue (quiet, hush, etc.))
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain 3 Stars
59. Ray of Light by Madonna (A book by an author named Ray)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
✔️60. Sexx Laws by Beck (A book that has a character who undergoes a gender reassignment or comes out of the closet)
The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff 3.25 Stars

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2201 comments Excellent list and explanation, Tammy.

message 3: by Tammy (last edited Jul 23, 2018 08:45AM) (new)

Tammy | 704 comments 39. Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush (Exact title match)
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 4.5 Stars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMM...

I did enjoy Wuthering Heights! From the cast of loathsome characters to the uninviting estate on the moors, everything was so delightfully detestable. So how does Kate Bush's song match up with the story? Her shrill voice echoing Catherine's demand to be let in is spine tingling and hair raising. I can't stand Kate's voice. It is just like nails scratching on a cold window on a winter's night. I think we have a 10 out of 10 match.

4. Pistol Packin' Mama by Al Dexter and his Troopers (A book that echoes the title of the song)
Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart 3 Stars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKBU_...

Girl Waits with Gun was an entertaining novel based on the true story of one of the nation’s first female deputy sheriffs, Constance Kopp. The song for this prompt, Pistol Packin' Mama, incorporates honky-tonk and country-pop with flourishes of swing, classic jazz, and jump blues. So while the song came out nearly 30 years after the 1915 events that the book recounts, the raucous tune works nicely when paired with the less than conventional character of a 6 foot spinster taking on a gang of baddies. And it is a really great tune. Song match score: 8 out of 10

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I am so enamored with this idea!

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2526 comments I love it, Tammy! You are just too creative. I like the way you came up with a them for each song. I started a list last week but decided I want to finish the 2 books I’m reading before I create any more challenges! I really hope the prompt wins but it may wind up being polarizing. I already have 5 songs and several books for each. One song I just heard the other day that I want to use is Rain Won’t Stop by Billy Droze. “I’m broke as a joke and I just got paid.”

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Hot diggity, Pam! That Rain Won't Quit song is great. I don't like glossy country, but I dig blue grass. Would love to see if others will try the challenge.

Katie...I just thought the idea was so open for exploration. If I had more time I would just go ahead and create a group for book loving music lovers!

message 7: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments This is fantastic Tammy! I am disappointed but not surprised that the prompt didn't make it through. Several years ago I made a Words & Tunes playlist of songs inspired by books or authors. There are 57 songs on the playlist....why on earth did people think this was such a difficult prompt? :) Good luck with your challenge.

message 8: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments What a cool idea and so creative!

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat | 266 comments I really wanted this suggestion to win. You picked some great songs and showed how easy it is to link a song and a book.

message 10: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Wow, this is great!!! I think I'll have to make my own personal song challenge after seeing yours.

message 11: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I certainly hope you will, Marina! I loved picking the songs and then selecting the themes to coordinate with the songs and artists. I did this in two separate sittings, so it really wasn't difficult. The formatting in goodreads was the hardest part.

Thanks, Kat and Dalex, for supporting the theme. I think it was Dalex's comments on the voting site that made me want to show folks that this could be creative, fun, and not as difficult as some assumed.

message 12: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 698 comments I love it!

message 13: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments Very cool and creative, Tammy!

message 14: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) That is a wonderful idea!

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz | 501 comments This is pretty awesome

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I'm in the process of gathering my favorite song from the top 100 releases of each year since I was born so that I can choose prompts for them. Pretty excited.

message 17: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments That is so exciting. I kind of wish I'd gathered the tunes from my iTunes list. The 80s and 90s would have looked very different! Good luck...I can't wait to see your list!

message 18: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
I voted for this one when it was in the mini-polls and I was sad to see how many members didn't see the potential for creativity. It's not like I need another challenge but this is so tempting!

message 19: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments I really loved the idea of finding a "soundtrack song" to match a book for the prompt and now I am tempted to create a side challenge for 2019 of songs and books that go together. Hrmmm...maybe...

message 20: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 33 comments Wow Tammy, what a great job! I've voted for this prompt, music has a huge part in my life, sad that didn't win.

message 21: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Laura, I'm pretty sure I'll be pulling a few of the books from this on to our 2019 ATY. I've already got Shakespeare covered, LGBTQ, Religion, Dual timelines, etc. Whatever wins, I'm covered. I just need to set those aside and not read them until next year.

Dalex...I would love to know about your "soundtrack" songs that you associate with books. I've often thought of that. I'm still mulling setting up a group.

Sofia, I wish I could see a way to squeeze the theme in for ATY but I just think it is too polarizing. I hope we'll get a chance to have the pick a prompt that didn't win like we did this year. That was one of my favorites.

Music people are the best!