Play Book Tag discussion

A Short History of Nearly Everything
Archive: Other Books > A Short History of Nearly Everything/Bryson - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments All I have to say is I'm glad I finally finished this book. It took me forever.

It seems unfair to give it two stars because it is well researched and impressively put together - - but three stars would mean "I liked it", and I really can't say I did. I tolerated it. I appreciated the educational value of it. But liked it? Unfortunately no.

The good news though is that in the progression from physics to biology to anthropology, it became increasingly interesting to me, and you could tell that Bryson also had a better grasp on the subject matter. The anthropology section was interesting enough that it makes me want to read a book on that subject alone. I recall touching upon the development of man in school, but clearly the details were lacking. I had no idea there were so many competing theories.

All in all, for the right reader, I can see why this book is beloved. It delivers on the promise of its title. It just seemed to focus too much on the people involved for my taste and really didn't quite explain the science well enough for me to truly grasp it.

I muscled through.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Not for me, as I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Sorry this wasn't the book for you.

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Jason wrote: "Sorry this wasn't the book for you."

Yes, it was unfortunate. Good book. Just not a good book for me.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Well, I wouldn't even go so far as to say it's a good book. Don't blame yourself for not loving it. I wish I still had my review around, but it was pre-GR and my record-keeping then was faulty... as was the research in this book....