SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

102 views
TV and Movie Chat > Are we living inside a video game?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Varun (last edited Jul 24, 2018 11:20PM) (new)

Varun (varunsayal) | 17 comments Many theories now point towards the fact that we may be living inside a video game. We are just characters inside a very powerful near-real simulation. Our bodies are pre-designed avatars in this game and our actual bodies are outside this game. When we enter coins in the game we are born, and when our credit is over we die. Some choose to roleplay through rich and famous avatars, some choose to be poor and tortured ones. Thoughts?

1. Do we have goals like a video game has goals -- Our lives have goals, given to us by society, study, earn, get married, have kids ... are these the main goals? No these are side-goals, I believe the main goal is to stay alive. If you do not achieve this goal then "Game Over". Which is why we all have survival instincts, which are the sharpest instincts we have. Because the gamer playing us knows that if she fails this main goal then all her game credits will go to waste.

2. A video game has stages where we need to keep progressing, what about that? -- Our lives have stages, childhood, adulthood, old age.

3. Why are some people born rich and some so destitute in this world? -- Perhaps it is the function of what do you desire to be in the outer world and how much game credits do you have. I believe some gamers have very weird desires to experience life so they in-fact choose animal avatars.

4. Why some live so long, why some die so early? -- Again a function of how many game-credits will allow you to continue living for a 100 years and how many will allow you only a few days, hours or minutes of life. Although around 100 years seems to be the max allowed in this game for human avatars.

5. Do we have game simulation failures? -- Yes there are, controversial mass experiences such as Mandela effect, déjà vu experience all are bugs in the game.

6. Games have hackers who do not play by the rules and introduce cheats, who are the hackers here? -- Supernatural phenomena such as ghosts are the hackers, who do get an avatar but decide to take game rules for a ride by apply cheats to do stuff which the game would not allow a normal avatar to do.

7. At times games get a new life by putting in fresh game credits -- Concept of re-birth is fairly similar, where you lived a life earlier and now you put in fresh game coins and got a new avatar

8. When will the game simulation end? -- Very difficult to say that, even after the life is virtually destroyed on the planet owing to global warming or asteroid collision, there would be gamers who would be in bacteria avatars, virtually indestructible

9. Who are the actual gamers, if we are just avatars? -- Actual gamers are what we call as souls. Which is why it is often said in mythology that souls leave one body and enter another.

Connections to mythology and religion
- World is just a myth an imagination, Maya
- Souls leave one body and enter another, i.e. souls are the actual gamers, who take different avatars, us.
- Many of us at times feel that life is meaningless, it happens at random at times, or just after we have accomplished a major goal … because somewhere deep down, we know it’s just a game, with no actual consequences


message 2: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 685 comments Sorry, but don't buy that for a second.


message 3: by Varun (new)

Varun (varunsayal) | 17 comments Michel wrote: "Sorry, but don't buy that for a second."

Your arguments against the theory, please?


MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments It's more like art imitates life. But I did enjoy MiB, so have at it!


message 5: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 113 comments I think that as an actual video game, there would be indications that we were in a simulation. Such as the fact that us as avatars would be missing time when the person is actually not playing us (see The Thirteenth Floor for reference). Alternatively, others would not see us for days on end if the person playing is AFK (away from the keyboard for non-gamers). So as a video game, I don't actually believe that is the case.

Now the universe and so on being a simulation which is what the theory is pointing to is a fully different situation. A simulation means that the subjects in the program act as they act with very little interference from the outside programmers that are observing the program run. Maybe they put in a new element here and there to see how their subjects react to new environments and such. I can go with that theory with no problems at all.


message 6: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 685 comments Varun wrote: "Michel wrote: "Sorry, but don't buy that for a second."

Your arguments against the theory, please?"


I live in reality. Your theory sounds too much to me like many conspiracy theories that have been floated around: someone makes up a statement/opinion, then tries to force others to present facts to disprove his statement/opinion. The onus is on YOU to prove your assertion, not on me to disprove it.


message 7: by Trike (last edited Jul 23, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Trike It’s a thought exercise that provides entertainment value, but nothing more than that. There’s no way to prove or disprove it, just as there’s no way to prove or disprove that our entire universe is merely a dream being had by a sleeping god or that this universe is a simulation within a computer or that this is a television show and all our memories (and by extension, all of history) are merely the backstory.

All it does is add an extra layer of reality on top of our existing reality. I suspect it arises from the problem of trying conceive of anything that came “before” — before our birth, or before written history, or before the Big Bang.

One could certainly tell a fun story about it, though. For example, Tron or Wreck-It Ralph or the original (and good) ReBoot.


message 8: by Varun (last edited Jul 23, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

Varun (varunsayal) | 17 comments Pixiegirl105 wrote: "I think that as an actual video game, there would be indications that we were in a simulation. Such as the fact that us as avatars would be missing time when the person is actually not playing us (..."

Fair point ma'am, but why would there be away time? Perhaps the concept of time is different outside of the game. Once a person enters he doesn't leave until the game is complete. Universal simulation theory is also a strong possibility. A similar theory is being given out by Elon Musk.


MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments Trike wrote: "It’s a thought exercise that provides entertainment value, but nothing more than that. There’s no way to prove or disprove it, just as there’s no way to prove or disprove that our entire universe i..."

I prefer the MiB images (the ones at the end of the movies). Those are fun.


message 10: by Trike (last edited Jul 23, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

Trike Pixiegirl105 wrote: "I think that as an actual video game, there would be indications that we were in a simulation. Such as the fact that us as avatars would be missing time when the person is actually not playing us (..."

Of course, if the game had algorithms to manipulate and motivate us when our users were AFK, we wouldn’t be able to tell.

That would certainly explain all those weird experiences we all have: driving home from work and having no memory of the drive; walking into a room and wondering why we’re there; forgetting what we had for lunch but able to perfectly recall our backstories, etc.

Then of course there’s deja vu, which was a cool moment in The Matrix. Game reset.

https://youtu.be/z_KmNZNT5xw


message 11: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 113 comments Varun wrote: "Pixiegirl105 wrote: "I think that as an actual video game, there would be indications that we were in a simulation. Such as the fact that us as avatars would be missing time when the person is actu..."

If all of the world is a video game, then there would have to be away time and lost time to account for all of the other avatars that are still being played while your player is inevitably doing other things. Of course this is functioning on the idea that the processes of one being can control only one unit. However, if they control all of the "game," then it's still just a standard simulation with no real playable characters. Not a video game per se. Even in the SIMs games, you cannot control all of your characters at one time. Only really influence the one SIM's decisions during the time you are looking at them. Basically with your theory of playable and then dead at end, means several universes just die at the drop of a hat/lack of coins. I don't think we live in a playable simulation. I think of it more as an experimental simulation if it is a simulation.


message 12: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 113 comments Trike wrote: "Pixiegirl105 wrote: "I think that as an actual video game, there would be indications that we were in a simulation. Such as the fact that us as avatars would be missing time when the person is actu..."

Gaming algorithms would mess up though. Maybe giving a person the same food over and over and over. Or the same "dream" over and over. So on and so forth. The patterns themselves would be a giveaway that there was something off. All of the ones you've mentioned as examples are explainable. Entering a doorway actually works as mental "reset" to your brain. (https://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...) The whole car thing is basically autopilot (hence why people keep killing their kids on accident by leaving them in their car), you could call this your brain's programming basically just running background programs. lol. As far as lunch goes, that does run to patterns. You think of it enough and you'll notice those. I don't disagree with the simulation part. I disagree that it is a player based simulation.

Regarding the deja vu part of the Matrix, changes in Matrix, not a full reset of the game. ;)


message 13: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 352 comments Pixiegirl105 wrote: "I think that as an actual video game, there would be indications that we were in a simulation. Such as the fact that us as avatars would be missing time when the person is actually not playing us (..."

That's assuming the time scales are the same. What if your entire life was only 10 minutes to the 'player'.


message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris | 1046 comments Varun wrote: "Many theories high pot smokers now point towards the fact that say, "Duuuude, we may be living inside a video game."

Fixed it for you. You're welcome! :D


message 15: by Trike (new)

Trike Pixiegirl105 wrote: "Gaming algorithms would mess up though. Maybe giving a person the same food over and over and over."

Only if you’re running your game on a MacBook.

I mean, the special effects in the world are SPECTACULAR, which means we’re talking about holographic memory and quantum computing at the very least.

It’s The Sims v.1000000.


message 16: by Trike (new)

Trike AndrewP wrote: "Pixiegirl105 wrote: "I think that as an actual video game, there would be indications that we were in a simulation. Such as the fact that us as avatars would be missing time when the person is actu...

That's assuming the time scales are the same. What if your entire life was only 10 minutes to the 'player'. "


“But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.” — 2 Peter 3:8, Holy Bible: New International Version

OMG they totally knew!!!


message 17: by Trike (new)

Trike Chris wrote: "Varun wrote: "Many theories high pot smokers now point towards the fact that say, "Duuuude, we may be living inside a video game."

Fixed it for you. You're welcome! :D"


^5

I’m so old, I remember when the burners used to say, “Maaan, what if the solar system is just, like, an atom in a giant’s fingernail? Whoa...”


message 18: by Time (new)

Time | 28 comments A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing is a pretty good book.


message 19: by Brendon (new)

Brendon Bertram | 8 comments I do not believe that we are living in a simulation.

That said, I have heard this theory several times over the years. There are a lot of resources you can find on the subject including one that states that reactions do not happen until they are observed by humans.

As for being in a video game.

The concept is viable, with the "player" in a VR pod where they are induced into a dream state with a pre-made "dream" injected into the conscience. You won't have to deal with people moving around like in "Ready Player One" because of the bodies natural sleep paralysis.

Also, time distillation could allow a player to live a full life in a matter of 'real-world' seconds. The game ROY in Rick and Morty is a good example (How can they watch him play though?) or Inception.


message 20: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 113 comments Time distillation could explain it but at the same time, I get bored enough with the SIMs games. I can't think of why people would want to live a life like some of them out there. Lol...


message 21: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
Pixiegirl105 wrote: "Time distillation could explain it but at the same time, I get bored enough with the SIMs games. I can't think of why people would want to live a life like some of them out there. Lol..."

Cannot TELL you the number of times I've thrown a bag of chips on the ground and then torn at my very hair because I wasn't hungry, I was just tired but someone has walked into my house and now I need to have a polite conversation with them instead of napping. ;-)


message 22: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 352 comments Pixiegirl105 wrote: "Time distillation could explain it but at the same time, I get bored enough with the SIMs games. I can't think of why people would want to live a life like some of them out there. Lol..."

I don't know.. sitting at my desk at work for 40 hours a week so I can have money to buy a new TV sounds a lot like VR 'gold mining' to me:)


message 23: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments Varun wrote: "Michel wrote: "Sorry, but don't buy that for a second."

Your arguments against the theory, please?"


Video Games have some sort of goal. Eat the Ghosts when they are blue, run from them when they are multi colored, blow up the rocks, that sort of thing. As far as I can ascertain, there is no overriding goal for everyone in this life.

So unless the Mice are trying to find the Question to the Meaning of the Answer of 42, no video game.


message 24: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 352 comments Dj wrote: "Video Games have some sort of goal. Eat the Ghosts when they are blue, run from them when they are multi colored, blow up the rocks, that sort of thing. As far as I can ascertain, there is no overriding goal for everyone in this life."

Virtual worlds are not the same as video games. None of the most popular ones have any goal whatsoever. i.e. Second Life, Kaneva, Active Worlds, Blue Mars.


message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris | 1046 comments Allison wrote: "Cannot TELL you the number of times I've thrown a bag of chips on the ground and then torn at my very hair because I wasn't hungry, I was just tired but someone has walked into my house and now I need to have a polite conversation with them instead of napping. ;-)"

Do you still have to worry about getting to the bathroom on time and dishes piling up in the sink? I remember getting a maid every time.


message 26: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "Do you still have to worry about getting to the bathroom on time and dishes piling up in the sink? I remember getting a maid every time.

I keep yelling "I am weak" at the sky, but there's no extra money in my bank account, so clearly they've changed the hacks if this is the Sims. That being the case, sadly no maids, and the dishes did get awfully backed up pre-dishwasher.


message 27: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments AndrewP wrote: "Dj wrote: "Video Games have some sort of goal. Eat the Ghosts when they are blue, run from them when they are multi colored, blow up the rocks, that sort of thing. As far as I can ascertain, there ..."

Hmm, I don't do any of that. My Virtual Reality is all in the books I read. The colors are brighter. LOL.


message 28: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments Chris wrote: "Allison wrote: "Cannot TELL you the number of times I've thrown a bag of chips on the ground and then torn at my very hair because I wasn't hungry, I was just tired but someone has walked into my h..."

So while this may not have anything really to do with the discussion your comment about the Maid made me think of it.

There is a song on Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum. Broadway Soundtrack I have called. Everybody Ought to have a Maid. It is a fun listen.


message 29: by Bree (new)

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 28 comments My 15-y-o son asked me this same question (trying to get out of doing some chore or another), and the answer was:
If this is a video game, what the hell. Why is my user making me SO FECKIN' BORING????????? Why am I not a rock star or an environmentalist hippie chaining myself to trees, or at the very least, more than just a block in the chain?
If a simulation, that makes more sense. Still, in that scenario, I'm one of those little guys who just runs around in circles until someone shoots him.


message 30: by Varun (last edited Jul 25, 2018 12:55AM) (new)

Varun (varunsayal) | 17 comments Bree wrote: "My 15-y-o son asked me this same question (trying to get out of doing some chore or another), and the answer was:
If this is a video game, what the hell. Why is my user making me SO FECKIN' BORING?..."


You didn't have enough game credits before you entered the game, so you could not get your choice of avatar. I have talked about this in my original post.


message 31: by Varun (last edited Jul 25, 2018 12:55AM) (new)

Varun (varunsayal) | 17 comments AndrewP wrote: "Dj wrote: "Video Games have some sort of goal. Eat the Ghosts when they are blue, run from them when they are multi colored, blow up the rocks, that sort of thing. As far as I can ascertain, there ..."

Absolutely, the definition of video game hence is very fluid, not the super Mario ones, but the ones like 2nd life. Mentioned similar stuff now in my original post.


message 32: by Varun (new)

Varun (varunsayal) | 17 comments Dj wrote: "Varun wrote: "Michel wrote: "Sorry, but don't buy that for a second."

Your arguments against the theory, please?"

Video Games have some sort of goal. Eat the Ghosts when they are blue, run from t..."


Except there is one. Staying alive. That's the over-arching goal which everyone has. Which is why our survival instincts are the sharpest. Studying, earning money, getting married and settled, they are all secondary goals.


message 33: by Bree (new)

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 28 comments Varun wrote: "Dj wrote: "Varun wrote: "Michel wrote: "Sorry, but don't buy that for a second."

Your arguments against the theory, please?"

Video Games have some sort of goal. Eat the Ghosts when they are blue,..."


But we all die in the end whether we want to or not. So our goal is tragic.


message 34: by Varun (new)

Varun (varunsayal) | 17 comments Well, that perhaps is a start of a new avatar, so not so tragic after all. What is important is to enjoy the game while we are at it :)


message 35: by Trike (new)

Trike Bree wrote: "I'm one of those little guys who just runs around in circles until someone shoots him. "

You’re all NPCs in my story.


message 36: by Trike (new)

Trike Varun wrote: "Well, that perhaps is a start of a new avatar, so not so tragic after all. What is important is to enjoy the game while we are at it :)"

And if the thing you enjoy is shooting other characters, hey, go for it. They’ll just respawn, right?

#SlipperySlope


message 37: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 352 comments Trike wrote: "And if the thing you enjoy is shooting other characters, hey, go for it. They’ll just respawn, right?.."

Yup, it just takes about 16 years in your time:)


message 38: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:57AM) (new)

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
I'll just say that if this is some sort of cosmic game, I'm really disappointed in how much the players let me sit on the computer, and pretty upset that the character generator gave me such bad knees. I mean, honestly. This seems pretty lame for them to have hobbled me so. (WINK!)

So that's a question. Big tragedies etc. would be plot points/raids/quests/whatever in the main story, but what about small personal tragedies? Lost toys and hurtful words and trick elbows. I've not played any games that go so in the weeds with ouchies. What do they add to the game?


message 39: by Trike (new)

Trike God (which stands for Game Ongoing Developer) is a capricious GM, is what it is.


message 40: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments Trike wrote: "Bree wrote: "I'm one of those little guys who just runs around in circles until someone shoots him. "

You’re all NPCs in my story."


In that case, for five million dollars I’ll sell you the RED level McGuffin you need to win. I’ll get my foreign prince to send you the details on how to transfer.


message 41: by Varun (new)

Varun (varunsayal) | 17 comments Brendon wrote: "I do not believe that we are living in a simulation.

That said, I have heard this theory several times over the years. There are a lot of resources you can find on the subject including one that s..."


Inception is a real close description of what I am talking about here. A dreamlike state, where you do not know when you arrived inside the game, just one day you gain consciousness.


message 42: by Varun (new)

Varun (varunsayal) | 17 comments Dj wrote: "Varun wrote: "Michel wrote: "Sorry, but don't buy that for a second."

Your arguments against the theory, please?"

Video Games have some sort of goal. Eat the Ghosts when they are blue, run from t..."


Do we have goals like a video game has goals -- Our lives have goals, given to us by society, study, earn, get married, have kids ... are these the main goals? No these are side-goals, I believe the main goal is to stay alive. If you do not achieve this goal then "Game Over". Which is why we all have survival instincts, which are the sharpest instincts we have. Because the gamer playing us knows that if she fails this main goal then all her game credits will go to waste.


message 43: by Varun (new)

Varun (varunsayal) | 17 comments Pixiegirl105 wrote: "Trike wrote: "Pixiegirl105 wrote: "I think that as an actual video game, there would be indications that we were in a simulation. Such as the fact that us as avatars would be missing time when the ..."

It can be a player based simulation if most of your choices are pre-destined and there is no free will. Because of your initial variable V0, i.e. the surroundings you are born in, the upbringing, you are bound to make pre-destined choices. Otherwise, the gaming platform really needs to have a very powerful machine to manage all the zillions of combinations arising due to free will. Is that your concern?


MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments Andre Norton has a short story like this - it's in Perilous Dreams. In it, a special type of person can create and share life-like dreams. Past, present, future...


BTW, the answer is 42.


message 45: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 113 comments Trike wrote: "Bree wrote: "I'm one of those little guys who just runs around in circles until someone shoots him. "

You’re all NPCs in my story."


LMAO!!! I can't tell you how much I have thought I'm an NPC when working my retail job!!!!!


message 46: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 113 comments Varun wrote: "Brendon wrote: "I do not believe that we are living in a simulation.

That said, I have heard this theory several times over the years. There are a lot of resources you can find on the subject incl..."


Soooo then explain why people go and do dangerous things, ie...drugs, fast cars, etc. Obviously the game's goal cannot be stay alive if their users are doing that...


message 47: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 113 comments Varun wrote: "Pixiegirl105 wrote: "Trike wrote: "Pixiegirl105 wrote: "I think that as an actual video game, there would be indications that we were in a simulation. Such as the fact that us as avatars would be m..."

No, you have mentioned that your version of video game is more like an open world type video game. in which case, interaction happens with other players. i would think that if one had to step away from said environment, then avatar would notice the change in people and time...
Example: in WOW or GW2, if i am playing the game and step away, the environment might completely change from one moment to the next due to other players logging on and logging off. The missions I was on do not change but there is an obvious bit of time missing when looking around. Sometimes I only log on for the special events, in which case we could go from halloween to christmas for no apparently reason but the actual game world does have time in between those.


message 48: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments Varun wrote: "Dj wrote: "Varun wrote: "Michel wrote: "Sorry, but don't buy that for a second."

Your arguments against the theory, please?"

Video Games have some sort of goal. Eat the Ghosts when they are blue,..."


That is a poor game goal, would never sell. Need to have something to gain, something to defeat that kind of thing. Even Sim's has something of a goal aside from surviving.


message 49: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Andre Norton has a short story like this - it's in Perilous Dreams. In it, a special type of person can create and share life-like dreams. Past, present, future...


BTW, the answer i..."



Sure the answer is 42, but the real quandary is what is the question.


message 50: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments Trike wrote: "That would certainly explain all those weird experiences we all have: driving home from work and having no memory of the drive; walking into a room and wondering why we’re there; forgetting what we had for lunch but able to perfectly recall our backstories, etc."

That sounds more like skipping a mini-game sequence. Sure, the first few times driving the same route home was quirky and fun, but now we just want to get to our real life of binge watching Netflix (the current quest), so we can’t be delayed in our limited gaming time by paying attention to traffic.


« previous 1
back to top