All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > August 2018- What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I don't make plans since I never seem to follow my list. Generally a book comes along that I am really in the mood for or I simply want to read a particular book at that time.

message 3: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 24, 2018 11:20AM) (new)

Chrissie Nancy, I know I will read these because I have put them on my Iphone, unless of course one is terrible and then I dump it and return it. I guess it is easier for me to plan because I have to read audiobooks. The short stories I have on the computer. Of course you have many more books to choose from than I do. I mix fiction and non-fiction so I get variety. And now short stories too.

message 4: by Colleen (last edited Aug 18, 2018 08:37PM) (new)

message 5: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11966 comments Mod
I'm hoping to get back into my university reading

Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt
Dark Continent: Europe's Twentieth Century by Mark Mazower

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 116 comments Firstly I'll probably be finishing:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Woman in Cabin 10

I've got a few group reads planned for August so will definitely be reading

The Night Circus
Brave New World

And finally I would like clear sat least one physical and one ebook from of my TBR
Physical - Rasputin: A Short Life - My sister bought me this years ago I feel bad for not reading it yet
ebook - Fates and Furies

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Jess wrote: "Firstly I'll probably be finishing:
The Woman in Cabin 10

I've got a few group reads planned for August so will definitely be reading ..."

I enjoyed The Night Circus Jess!

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Diane S ☔ wrote: "These are the non fiction books I hope to get toYour Second Life Begins When You Realize You Only Have Oneo
Jell-O Girls: A Family History
[book:Tip of the Iceberg: ..."

Are you reading only non-fiction this month Diane, or did you just list those ones? Just curious - sometimes I will do that where I will read a bunch of books of a certain type (e.g. poetry) in a row.

message 10: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Fiction I don't have planned out, too many to count, and like Nancy don't really like to plan those.

message 11: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Diane S ☔ wrote: "Fiction I don't have planned out, too many to count, and like Nancy don't really like to plan those."

Ok, makes sense :)

message 12: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 675 comments My August plan is to finish Lonesome Dove. Other than that, it’s hard to say what I will read! I’m hoping to start Don Quixote. I also have 3 recent GR giveaways, including an ARC, The Rain Watcher, that was shipped yesterday. I’m currently reading 2 nonfictions: Luminescent Threads: Connections to Octavia E. Butler and Love the House You're In: 40 Ways to Improve Your Home and Change Your Life.

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 675 comments Chrissie wrote: "I am already making plans for August.

That’s quite a list Chrissie! I’ve only read one of your books - A Bear Called Paddington! However, I recently created my own personal challenge of 60 authors to read before I turn 60 and one of them is Paul Theroux. I’m planning on reading The Mosquito Coast this year but want to read one of his travel books also. I will look for your review of his book that you have listed! Recommendations anyone??

message 14: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 28, 2018 01:34AM) (new)

Chrissie Pam, I read Pddington to the kids and we used to enjoy it. Sooooop after having enjoyed a rereading of Winnie-the-Pooh, I thought I would reread it!

Theroux is a fantastic writer. My favorite by him so far is Deep South: Four Seasons on Back Roads. I still have not gotten around to trying his fiction......

I did like Lonesome Dove, Gus in particular, but when it was over I had had enough. Don Quixote........it was not for me. It is sort of like a bunch of ridiculous short stories that all say the same thing. I am speaking in a sweeping generalization. I dumped it if I remember correctly, I usually stick books out, but not in this case.

message 15: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 28, 2018 01:42AM) (new)

Chrissie Diane S ☔ wrote: "These are the non fiction books I hope to get toYour Second Life Begins When You Realize You Only Have Oneo
Jell-O Girls: A Family History."

I am glad Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo" was finally published, but the final product could have been better. Lewis' story makes up only a small portion of the book. You do not get to taste much of Hurston's creative writing.

message 16: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jess wrote: "Firstly I'll probably be finishing:
The Woman in Cabin 10

I've got a few group reads planned for August so will definitely be reading ..."

I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last month. It was not a winner for me, but I am glad I finally read it. I definitely understand why it needed then to be written.

message 17: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Having finished my July books, I have started reading those planned for August, namely A Summons to Memphis. If I finish it in Iuly, I will move it over to that list.

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 675 comments Thanks Chrissie for the Theroux recommendation, although I may skip that one since I’ve lived in the South (Kentucky and Tennessee) and that region is not so interesting to me. I’ll see what the library has. WRT Don Quixote, I’m going off of my dad and my husband’s recommendations. If I don’t like it, it’s on them! 😀 My dad starts laughing just talking about the book. So, I’m curious what’s so funny? That one may take the rest of the year for me!

message 19: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 28, 2018 05:13AM) (new)

Chrissie Pam,Ghost Train to the Eastern Star I can also recommend. Actually both I gave four stars.

Well Quixote and his squire s goes around saving damsels and all poor souls in distress.. He is fighting against injustice, any and everywhere,but he is delusional and sees injustice where it does not exist. He is an idealist, his squire a realist, and you watch the two as a pair. The problem is that it gets terribly repetitive. The same sort of thing happens over and over again. It becomes almost slapstick humor. Once funny, but over and over again? People's definition of humor varies widely! You night get sick of its repetitiveness and dump it.

message 20: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 675 comments Chrissie wrote: "Pam,Ghost Train to the Eastern Star I can also recommend. Actually both I gave four stars. ....."

Thanks again Chrissie! That one I have on my TBR already so I will look for it, after reading Mosquito Coast.

I have one more book that I plan on reading in August - Utopian Man by Australian author Lisa Lang. I have no idea why I bought this book several years ago, maybe because the cover Utopian Man by Lisa Lang was so unusual or because it was set in Australia. I have never heard anyone ever mention it and none of my GR friends have read it.

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3259 comments Pam, I agree with Chrissie on Don Quixote. I finished it and am glad that I read the book but it gets repetitive in the first half of the book. Lots of slapstick humor, which is fun at first.

message 22: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Petra wrote: "Pam, I agree with Chrissie on Don Quixote. I finished it and am glad that I read the book but it gets repetitive in the first half of the book. Lots of slapstick humor, which is fun at first."

We DO agree, Petra!

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments For once, I don't even have a tenative list. The only thing I have planned is to read the group classic, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which I have from the library.

message 25: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 658 comments To finish: My Brilliant Friend - for July bookclub. Not liking this at all, but since it is a bookclub book and on audio I will stick with it.

Next: The Tiger's Wife - for Aug. bookclub. I have the audio downloaded from the library.

Reading on Kindle: Yseult: A Tale of Love in the Age of King Arthur - this has been on my list every month since January. I am starting it again for the 3rd or 4th time, and I WILL NOT get distracted.

Hence, I will not even list any further books until this one is done!

message 26: by Beth (last edited Jul 30, 2018 12:01AM) (new)

Beth | 404 comments I will finish: The Iliad
Planning on: War and the Iliad (library checkout), Drinking the Sea at Gaza: Days and Nights in a Land Under Siege, Orlando, and maybe the Autobiography of John Stuart Mill(from my shelves). And at least 1 audiobook, maybe Vortex.

message 27: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 675 comments Chrissie - I saw another friend recommend Deep South by Theroux so I’m adding it to my TBR. It actually sounds really interesting, after giving it a second look! Thanks again for the recommendation.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pam, good. I do not think you will be disappointed.

message 29: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Im half way done with that one now, and am enjoying it.

message 30: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Diane, do you mean Deep South: Four Seasons on Back Roads? I liked also that he speaks of so many Southern authors. It is not just a travel book but about Southern literature too.....if I am remembering correctly.

message 31: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Yes, Chrissie that's the one. He does mention many authors, more to add to my tbr.

message 32: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Wiggins Chrissie wrote: "Jess wrote: "Firstly I'll probably be finishing:
The Woman in Cabin 10

I've got a few group reads planned for August so will definitel..."

This surprises me about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. This was definitely in my Top 10 Fiction Books Read, but this is completely subjective and to each their own.

message 33: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Wiggins I just finished Mel Sherratt's upcoming book, Hush Hush from NetGalley. A very, very good thriller/police procedural.

I plan on finishing Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain. This is a very good and extremely humorous travel book about traveling from tip to tip, North to South at the longest distance possible in England.

I also plan on reading A.B. Whelan's As Sick as Our Secrets. This sounds interesting, and Whelan is an author that I have not read yet.

And ... if time permits, I plan on finishing Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond. This is a very insightful, albeit very sad book about the plight of the poor trying to find and keep rentals in Milwaukee and how slumlords take advantage of laws and renters and actually often make more money renting these dumps to the poor.

Too ambitious for me I know, but I will give it my best effort.

message 34: by Chrissie (last edited Aug 01, 2018 12:32AM) (new)

Chrissie Cameron wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Jess wrote: "Firstly I'll probably be finishing:
The Woman in Cabin 10

I've got a few group reads planned for August ..."

I know, we all react so differently!!!!!! It is immensely hard to know what will and what will not work, no matter how many reviews one reads.

So how do you think you will rate Matthew Desmond's Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City? You seem to say you do like it a lot. I did. I gave it four stars. I hope we agree on this one at least.

message 35: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Wiggins Chrissie wrote: "Cameron wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Jess wrote: "Firstly I'll probably be finishing:
The Woman in Cabin 10

I've got a few group reads pla..."

LOL. Chrissie, I am quite sure that we agree on quite a few books. Yes, I like Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City quite a bit, and probably will give it a 4-star rating. It lies between the 3.8 to 4.0 anyway. I am glad that I am reading it, but I find myself reading it in short doses at times because it is so sad and such a travesty to so many unfortunate people. My subliminal point was actually that for this reason it may not be for everyone. This is unfortunate, too, because the subject matter covered in Evicted needs to be known by as many people as possible. In fact, I first became aware of Matthew Desmond on PBS, and then I found Evicted.
Not to worry, I was not criticizing your taste in books at all, and who am I to judge anyway. Ha.

message 36: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Cameron wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Cameron wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Jess wrote: "Firstly I'll probably be finishing:
The Woman in Cabin 10

I've got a fe..."

People cannot like all books in the same way b/c we ourselves are different. I did´not think you were criticizing me. On the other hand, heck, it is nice when others think as you do yourself. Don't you think so?

message 37: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 03, 2018 01:24AM) (new)

Chrissie More books to read this month in addition to those mentioned in message one.

Fiction
19 Fruit of the Drunken Treeby Ingrid Rojas Contreras 1 star
20.The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
21.Romeo And Juliet by David Hewson
22.One, None and a Hundred Thousand by Luigi Pirandello 2 stars read

Non-fiction :
23.24 Hours in Ancient Rome: A Day in the Life of the People Who Lived There by Philip Matyszak

The books I did not have time tor read this month will be read in September.