2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
This topic is about Red Queen
ARCHIVE 2018 > Red Queen: Chapter 22-28 + Epilogue

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Jul 23, 2018 01:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4555 comments This is the discussion thread for Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard Chapter 22-28 + Epilogue

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann (hammiam) | 158 comments Well.......I'm not sure that I ever want to see the word "smirk" in print again! It seemed to fit every occasion.

What did you all think of the ending? Was there enough of a resolution for you?

Will you read the sequels?

Do you have a favourite quote?

message 3: by Octothorpe Reader Leora K (last edited Aug 03, 2018 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments I made 4 predictions:
(view spoiler)

Towards the end Mare started to annoy me, as she couldn't decide if she was tired or would keep fighting, if she doesn't have fight left, or will never give up, if there is something left to fight for... and so on .... and so on.

Even though the writing is not brilliant, I am hoping Aveyard grew in her writing through the remainder of the series. I found the story enjoyable enough to continue until such time that it goes on the DNF pile.

Favorite quotes:
(view spoiler)

message 4: by Ann (last edited Aug 08, 2018 02:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann (hammiam) | 158 comments Octothorpe Reader wrote: "I made 4 predictions:
"

You are right.....it all felt predictable, and, for me, like one big introduction to more books. I missed your #1(thought the opposite!) and wished that your #2 had been explored further.

message 5: by Kim (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim | 120 comments Well, unlike Octothorpe Reader, I did not see the big plot twist coming. But by the time it happened, it did not really matter to me anymore, I did not care what happened.
Where in the middle part of the book there were already a few moments when I thought the people in this book, and then mainly the Silvers, were being stupid and illogical, by the end the entire string of events was a string of stupidity and lazy writing.
At the moment of the plot twist, there was only one character left that I mildly liked. And when he turned out to be the biggest traitor, I could only think 'well played, son'... I felt all the others got what they had coming being so stupid all the time. And then even that character screwed up, and I ended up being glad the epilogue was done...

(view spoiler)

I will not put the second book on my To Read list. I even decided I will not read any more books where the protagonist is 17 for at least the remainder of 2018.

I highlighted two quotes, because these characters said exactly what I was thinking at the time:

Farley to Maven:
"You want me to pin my entire operation, the entire revolution, on some teenaged love story? I can't believe this."
(and then she did)

Lucas the guard to Mare:
"But now I know you're not different, not anymore. You're the same as all the rest. Heartless, selfish, cold..."

Jess Penhallow | 67 comments Octothorpe Reader wrote: "I made 4 predictions:"

Ann wrote: "I missed your #1(thought the opposite!) and wished that your #2 had been explored further. "

The good news is that your #2 prediction is the main focus of the next book. The bad news is that Mare is even more annoying in the next book!

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments Jess wrote: "Octothorpe Reader wrote: "I made 4 predictions:"

Ann wrote: "I missed your #1(thought the opposite!) and wished that your #2 had been explored further. "

The good news is that your #2 prediction ..."

Ah man - well I said that I will keep reading until I don't enjoy it anymore. The world is full of great books, so if this doesn't do it for me anymore, it's easy for me to move on. I usually don't finish books I don't like - I feel it's a waste of time :)

Jess Penhallow | 67 comments Octothorpe Reader wrote: "Jess wrote: "Octothorpe Reader wrote: "I made 4 predictions:"

The good news is that your #..."

I think the series is worth persevering with. The third book was my favourite. I can't say much becuase of spoilers but the pace drastically changes and it is more character focused. It also introduces some new perspectives so you're not just stuck with Mare!

I've not read the 4th book yet but I intend to.

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1323 comments It was pretty predictable... I only thought it was OK because the writing didn't wow me. A lot of it was farfetched (such as, as it was pointed out, when it's expected Cal would choose Mare just because he has a crush on her).

I do, however, intend on adding the next book to my TBR. When will I get to it? Who knows. I'll probably forget what happened in the first book by the time I get around to it...

I will probably watch the movie, if it happens. Elizabeth Banks is rumored to be directing/producing (I really like her and I also think it's funny since she was in the Hunger Games).

message 10: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (last edited Aug 15, 2018 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2708 comments Octothorpe Reader wrote: "I made 4 predictions:
"

I completely agree with all your comments.

I liked the book well enough. Does anyone want to start a buddy read for the rest of the series?

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Red Queen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Victoria Aveyard (other topics)