Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
This topic is about Crooked Kingdom
Archives > Crooked Kingdom, by Leigh Bardugo

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ana A (anabana_a) | 490 comments I read Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo for the 2018 AtY challenge, week 47: A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own.

I'm Asian, so a lot of books can fall under that category and I decided on this book because I recently finished Six of Crows and loved it! Crooked Kingdom is book 2.

This is set in the Grisha Universe, and the author has another trilogy that is also set there which I haven't read yet. Grisha are basically mutants like X-men and they're either being hunted down, hated, or adored for their powers.

Crooked Kingdom is set in Ketterdam where trade, profit, business are the language of choice. They even have a god for that. Kaz or Dirtyhands is a young thug who has accumulated a reputation and a crew to do some seemingly impossible things in the name of profit...and vengeance!

This book's quite awesome.

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments This may be a bit of a stretch, but would anyone whose read this think it counts as a book about organized crime? I have a prompt for one of my challenges for 2019 that asks for that, and I've seen this book come up on a few listopias, but we all know how inaccurate those can be.

Diana (dianapharah) | 49 comments I just finished this book recently too! I really enjoyed this, loved the ending, and it was a rare case of the second book being even better than the first. I think it could definitely fit the organized crime prompt; lots of planning and scheming, heisting, and general criminal activity. Also, different gangs and countries add into the mess too.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 490 comments Rachel wrote: "This may be a bit of a stretch, but would anyone whose read this think it counts as a book about organized crime? I have a prompt for one of my challenges for 2019 that asks for that, and I've seen..."

Yes, it definitely fits, but this is the 2nd book. The first book will fit too, though.

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments Ana A wrote: "Rachel wrote: "This may be a bit of a stretch, but would anyone whose read this think it counts as a book about organized crime? I have a prompt for one of my challenges for 2019 that asks for that..."

Perfect! I've already read the first one, that's why I was wondering if it fits. I originally thought "organized crime" was specific to just the mob/mafia, but hiring a group to pull off a heist seems to fit too.

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I finished this one just yesterday, and I absolutely loved it! My only slight regret is that I read it spread over several days, and I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I'd read it on days where I had more time to read straight through.