SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Members' Chat > Book Achievements

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
I sometimes feel like we should get recognition for finishing certain books/series/compilations etc.

What books, series, authors or other discrete classifications do you think qualifty receiving a merit badge for completing?

message 2: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Jul 22, 2018 06:34PM) (new)

-First chapter book

-First book over 1000 pages

-The Silmarillion

-The entirety of the Wheel of Time

-The entirety of Discworld

-All of Jane Austen's works

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I would add James Joyce’s Ulysses to that.

Maybe War and Peace?

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 16 comments Wow. Wheel of Time? I feel like I quit ages ago. Not even sure how many books there are now. Congrats to you all for your perseverance!!

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike - Entire series comprising 100+ volumes. (Babysitters Club, Hardy Boys, The Destroyer, Tom Swift, Perry Rhodan, etc.)

message 7: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Megan wrote: "Wow. Wheel of Time? I feel like I quit ages ago. Not even sure how many books there are now. Congrats to you all for your perseverance!!"

Oh, lord, I didn't get most of these achievements (yet?)! CB finished Wheel of Time and it prompted me to think of what else I'd consider big landmarks in reading dedication!

Anthony and Trike, totally, those are good ones.

Mark Twain's collections I'd definitely also consider an achievement!

message 8: by Silvana (last edited Jul 23, 2018 06:09AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments On top of my head, my own experience:

Finishing the first four books in A Song of Ice and Fire in two weeks and not during holidays.

Finishing Gibbons' The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Volume I via daily emails (yes you could do that). It took five months for me.

Finishing a Marquis de Sade book without losing one's mind.

message 9: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Silvana wrote: "
Finishing Gibbons' The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Volume I via daily emails (yes you could do that). It took months.

Finishing a Marquis de Sade book without losing my mind. "

These made me chuckle. :) Also, considering you read a book by email, not entiiirely convinced you haven't lost your mind ;-)

message 10: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4627 comments Allison wrote: "Mark Twain's collections I'd definitely also consider an achievement!."

It took 2 years of bedtime reading to make it through all of them. Virginia Woolf took a year. And I'm slowly working on Arthur Conan Doyle (finished the Sherlock and associated stories/books and am into the 2nd historical novel). I love the Delphi series of Collected Works

message 11: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments What I plan to do but have not succeeded: Finishing all Jules Verne's Voyages Extraordinaire works.

Other series with serious reading cred:
Malazan Book of the Fallen
All Asimov's Foundation books
All Tolkien's History of Middle-earth books.

Anyone who finish them all, I salute you.

Anthony wrote: "I would add James Joyce’s Ulysses to that.

Maybe War and Peace?"

I loved War and Peace. But I guess the length was quite something.

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill | 197 comments I have 3 goals I’m working on.

1. Finish Discworld - after slowly reading through them since 2014 I have read 19 this year and have 3 left.

2. Finish 100 series. Currently at 93.

3. Get my open series under 30. I’m at 63 but 24 of those are ongoing series that I’m up to date on.

Probably a 2020 goal but get to 1500 books read. I’m at 1114.

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Great job, Bill! I don't think I could reach 100 series in the next ten or 20 years since I keep abandoning them to find better reads.

message 14: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments What about Theodore Sturgeon's Complete Stories (13 volumes)? That's a journey, I'm about to embark at the moment.

So far I would only get the complete-Discworld medal (twice ;) ), on Ulysses I gave up somewhere around page 700.

message 15: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 352 comments How about Neil Stephenson's Baroque trilogy?

I'm currently working on Jordan's Wheel of Time, Ben Bova's Grand Tour and Ed McBain's 87th Precinct.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth (rosewoodpip) | 1686 comments Silvana wrote: "Great job, Bill! I don't think I could reach 100 series in the next ten or 20 years since I keep abandoning them to find better reads."

I'm this way, too. It's a huge achievement when I finish a series at all, even a trilogy. As for the ones named off in this thread, Discworld is one I hope to complete in the next fifteen years. "A book over 1000 pages" would likely be The Way of Kings, which squeaks in at 1007.

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah_chiu) Silvana wrote: "On top of my head, my own experience:

Finishing the first four books in A Song of Ice and Fire in two weeks and not during holidays.

Finishing Gibbons' [book:The History of the Decline and Fall ..."

Wow on the A Song of Ice and Fire part -- that is an achievement and deserves a merit badge. I say this myself, as I'm reading Feast of Crows now.

I would add:

- Piers Anthony's Xanth series

message 18: by Beth (last edited Aug 05, 2018 05:56PM) (new)

Beth | 210 comments Allison wrote:
-The Silmarillion

I've read it 3 times! I keep meaning to reread it, but I just haven't been in the right headspace for it.

Tor.com has been doing a Silmarillion Primer in a series of posts this year. I stopped following it a while ago, after the first 8 posts I think, but whenever I get around to rereading the book, I think I'll want to read through them. (The Tor series has some interesting commentary, and there were some very funny bits where I left off.)

The Baroque trilogy is on my to-read list. So is Gibbon... someday.

message 19: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Jul 30, 2018 05:57AM) (new)

Beth wrote: "Allison wrote:
-The Silmarillion

I've read it 3 times! I keep meaning to reread it, but I just haven't been in the right headspace for it.

Tor.com has been doing a Silmarillion Prim..."

3 times?! I made it about 30% and haven't tried again. I'm not a very slow reader and I remember that taking me all summer one year in high school.

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Lestingi (vlestin) | 41 comments This month I abandoned a book for the first time ever, that’s an achievement right there! The waves by Virginia Wolf, might be great but was not doing it for me. It was mentally liberating, should have done it ages ago instead of being stuck with stories I’m not enjoying. Hey, simple is where challenges begin.

message 21: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Good for you! Leaving is sometimes the hardest thing, but it's necessary!

message 22: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jul 30, 2018 08:27AM) (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
If this was indeed a game, DNF would be the hardest trophy for me. Although I am so completionist that I'd do it just to get the trophy! Then I'd reload an earlier save and finish the book.

edit: Corrected a typo after everyone has quoted me!

message 23: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Anna wrote: "If this was indeed a game, DNF would be the hardest trophy for me. Although I am so completionist that I'd do it just to get the trophy! Then I'd reaload an earlier save and finish the book."

lolol

message 24: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4627 comments Victoria wrote: "This month I abandoned a book for the first time ever, that’s an achievement right there! The waves by Virginia Wolf, might be great but was not doing it for me. It was mentally liberating, should ..."

I made it through that one, but all her essays and articles on the Delphi Complete Virginia Woolf, especially when written about authors who are no longer important, Ieither skimmed or skipped

message 25: by Trike (new)

Trike Anna wrote: "If this was indeed a game, DNF would be the hardest trophy for me. Although I am so completionist that I'd do it just to get the trophy! Then I'd reaload an earlier save and finish the book."

Banhammer for hacking.

message 26: by WreckEm711 (new)

WreckEm711 (ttualum13) I've read 31 books (and novellas) in the Shannara series, which I feel like is an achievement in itself to stick with one series for so long hah!

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth | 210 comments Silvana wrote: Other series with serious reading cred:
Malazan Book of the Fallen
All Asimov's Foundation books
All Tolkien's History of Middle-earth books.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be enough of a completist to read ALL of the History of Middle-earth books. I think I've read 6 of them...

message 28: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments Allison wrote: "Beth wrote: "Allison wrote:
-The Silmarillion

Tor.com has been doing a Silm..."

30%, does that mean you didn't get to the section that reads like a history book?

message 29: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Dj wrote: "Allison wrote: "Beth wrote: "Allison wrote:
-The Silmarillion

Tor.com has b..."

I was in the begatting still.

message 30: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments Yeah, the beginning reminded me somewhat of the Bible, but after the Gems are made and the Elves go back to Middle Earth it is mostly battles.

message 31: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4627 comments I finally finished Ellis Peter's Cadfael series (mysteries set in the time of Stephen and Matilda fighting over the English throne = 22 books) and I just started Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series

message 32: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 925 comments I want to count finishing Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell because it took me soo long to read.

message 33: by Trike (new)

Trike Melanie wrote: "I want to count finishing Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell because it took me soo long to read."

::: slow clap :::

Amen sister.