The Happily Ever Afters discussion

August - All Your Perfects > Spoilers - All Your Perfects

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) | 33 comments Mod
Spoiler Section for All Your Perfects by Colleen Hover

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenwesner) | 154 comments Mod
Hey guys! Here's where we'll talk about the book and there will be spoilers . . . but here's the thing:

We can talk in general but use spoiler tags so we don't spoil details for those who aren't as far along in their reading. Here's how you do it - and this is going to be tricky because in explaining how to do it, it actually does it! You use html codes, all of which can be found here:
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4...

So for a spoiler, you basically "wrap" what you want to say in html code that tells GR to hide it.

Start with telling it the HTML code to hide:

Type <
then type spoiler
then type >

Then type your spoilery section.

Then tell GR you want to stop hiding the spoilery section by closing the code:

type <
then type /spoiler
then type >

So to sum up - type this - but in a straight line
<
spoiler
>
the stuff I actually want to say that will spoil it
<
/spoiler
>

It will look like this when you're done.

(view spoiler)

You can always hit "preview" right next to the "Post" box if you want to see if it worked before you post the comment.

Hope this helps everyone! Any questions just ask.

message 3: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 10 comments I'm half way through can't wait to discuss.

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 2 comments Will post to discuss later but absolutely a 5 star read - so so many emotions and tears - loved every word in this book and actually journaled some of them.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Marie | 26 comments Hey I’ve nearly finished all your perfects but I’ve mixed feelings on it

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 6 comments Just wanted to get an early start on this book a day early and could not put the book down and ended up finishing the book. Love the way the book is written with the Now and Then.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (triplettml) | 12 comments Hi all! (I apologize for my rambling thoughts.)

I'm going to hide everything as a spoiler so I don't ruin the reading experience for anyone else.

(view spoiler)

Best,
Michael

message 8: by Jen (new)

OK all you Speedy McSpeedsters who zipped thru this in one sitting, I'm starting it today. I'll keep you posted!

message 9: by Addie Dehart (last edited Aug 02, 2018 02:44PM) (new)

Addie Dehart | 8 comments I had only read one Colleen Hoover book before I read this one and I liked it but this one.... wow I loved it. I did cry... ALOT while reading it. So after reading it, I did what I always do after reading a book and went to goodreads. I read a couple of positive reviews and a couple of negative reviews. I know that Colleen Hoover books receive a lot of hate for being "problematic" (which is a term I hate), so the bad reviews despite my enjoyment of the book did not surprise me. I just have a question regarding the negative review I read. The review said that Graham was abusive (I'm assuming she meant emotionally abusive) and I'm having trouble figuring out what the abuse was. My thought is is (view spoiler) Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyway I loved it and was wondering if anyone can recommend another CH book to me. I've read It Ends With Us which I liked. What should I try next?

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (triplettml) | 12 comments Addie wrote: "I had only read one Colleen Hoover book before I read this one and I liked it but this one.... wow I loved it. I did cry... ALOT while reading it. So after reading it, I did what I always do after ..."

Abuse? (view spoiler) I would like to see the relationship that makes Graham appear abusive.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Wow, that was a quick read. I listened to it while driving essentially in one sitting. It takes a lot to make me cry and this one did! I went thru about 3 years of infertility and I have to say, CH did her homework and got it right. Those first few comments from Quinn describing what it's like - the emotional and physical roller coaster plus the inability to get past the obsession - all that was spot on.

I didn't like Quinn very much. But Graham? I want a Graham please. He was almost too good to be true. But what love! I always enjoy reading about relationships like this one. I wish Quinn had been more honest with herself and Graham about what was going on in her own mind. Seems like CH always goes so big with the emotion in her stories and this was no exception. I cried.

Did anyone catch the little Easter Egg in the epilogue? That was cool. Nicely done, CH.

message 12: by Jen (last edited Aug 02, 2018 08:25PM) (new)

Addie wrote: "I had only read one Colleen Hoover book before I read this one and I liked it but this one.... wow I loved it. I did cry... ALOT while reading it. So after reading it, I did what I always do after ..."

Abusive? Because he lost his temper and banged on a car hood and a door? Seriously? He was just expressing his anger in a positive way. Quinn was never threatened or in danger. It's not even a stretch to call it abusive behavior - sounds like someone needs to get a clear definition of what that is and is not.

Also Addie - I love most of CH's books. I think November 9 is my favorite, so maybe we can do some kind of a buddy read for that. I'd really like to re-read it.

message 13: by Addie Dehart (new)

Addie Dehart | 8 comments I tried to go back and find the review I had read and couldn't find it. I was thinking that I was missing something with the abuse because I couldn't think what it was. I'm glad that wasn't the case. Thanks for suggesting November 9, I will definitely read it and would be interested in buddy reading.

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I was nervous starting this book because I had only read one Colleen Hoover book before (Confess), and I didn't really care for it. However, I loved this one. Having gone through years of heartbreak with infertility, I could relate to what Quinn was feeling. The constant disappointment. The month to month heartache when mother nature showed up. The way you lose yourself. Colleen Hoover got this right. It had me crying several times throughout the book because I have felt what Quinn was feeling. This one hit home for me.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 4 comments I just finished reading this book and oh my gosh! It was so amazing I loved it. I just loved Graham so much he was so heartbreakingly amazing if that's a saying lol.
(view spoiler)
I agree with Jen I didn't love Quinn but absolutely loved Graham. I want a Graham! Lol

message 16: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 10 comments I finally finished this. I did cry at the end. Yup I’ve been through the infertility ups and downs for years. So I certainly can relate to Quinn. This wasn’t my favorite of Hoover’s books though. I didn’t see abuse but cheating is not okay. My favorite Hoover book would be ugly love

I have to think this one through but I’m leaning towards 4 star. There’s a few things that drops it down for me which would be spoilers

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments I have made it to page 138 in All Your Perfects. I keep telling myself I'm going to stay up and just binge it until I'm finished because I need to know what's going to happen/how it ends and I end up being so tired I go to sleep instead, lol. I am enjoying this book and I already know I'm going to give it a 5 star rating.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Marie | 26 comments I still have missed feelings on All Your Perfects and it’s narrator

message 19: by Gaylene (new)

Gaylene Peyatt | 12 comments I just finished. My first Colleen Hoover book (listened to it - great narrator). I loved it. I loved the courtship and I love the ending!

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments It's after 1:00 a.m. and I just finished All Your Perfects. I love this book. Heartbreaking subject to write about but I love how everything works out in the end of the book. I definitely felt all the feels while reading it. Colleen Hoover is becoming a new favorite author of mine. I love how all her characters she writes about are flawed and relatable in some way or another. I love Quinn and Graham in All Your Perfects, especially how they meet. I love Colleen's writng style and how you don't want to put the book down because you hit a point where you have to know what happens next. To me, 5 stars doesn't seem to be enough for this book, I'd give it all the stars.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments Gaylene wrote: "I just finished. My first Colleen Hoover book (listened to it - great narrator). I loved it. I loved the courtship and I love the ending!"

Ugly Love, Confess, and November 9 are all good too. I read all 3 last month.

message 22: by Jen (new)

Hey Gang, just a heads up.

I tweeted Colleen Hoover and let her know we'd be doing a live show on her book. I seriously doubt she'll even stalk us but you never know!

message 23: by Sandi (last edited Aug 15, 2018 09:47AM) (new)

Sandi Sullivan | 2 comments Romance is not my normal genre but it sounded good and thought I'd give it a try. Once you get past the Boom, Boom, Bang, Bang on every other page this book was so good. It was so eloquently written and gave you all the feels. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the place they ate Chinese food. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll save my comments for the live show. If it wasn't for this book club I doubt I would have picked this book up and I would have missed out on something truly amazing.

message 24: by Gaylene (new)

Gaylene Peyatt | 12 comments Jennifer wrote: "Gaylene wrote: "I just finished. My first Colleen Hoover book (listened to it - great narrator). I loved it. I loved the courtship and I love the ending!"

Ugly Love, Confess, and November 9 are al..."

Which one would you recommend I pick up next?

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments Gaylene wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Gaylene wrote: "I just finished. My first Colleen Hoover book (listened to it - great narrator). I loved it. I loved the courtship and I love the ending!"

Ugly Love, Confess, and ..."

Ugly Love. I would definitely pick that one up before November 9 because the two main characters in Ugly Love make an appearance in November 9. But I do love all 3.

message 26: by Gaylene (new)

Gaylene Peyatt | 12 comments Jennifer wrote: "Gaylene wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Gaylene wrote: "I just finished. My first Colleen Hoover book (listened to it - great narrator). I loved it. I loved the courtship and I love the ending!"

Ugly Lov..."

Thank you.

message 27: by Trish (new)

Trish (jpolking) | 2 comments My first CH book ....and I loved it !!!
Thanks Jen, can’t wait for your liveshow 💗xo

message 28: by Berna (last edited Aug 18, 2018 04:26AM) (new)

Berna Well, it looks like I am going to be in the minority but I gave the book three stars.
It was my first Coleen Hoover book and I liked some aspects of it really much and did not really enjoy reading about some sections.
The positives first, I think it is a fast-paced, easy to read book. It never dragged on. I found the structure of the book really clever, good (actually amazing) times mixed with sadder times. If it was in chronological order, I might have given up on the latter half. Also, I liked the characters, especially Graham. The side characters were also fleshed out.
On the other hand, I found both now and then sections overdramatic. I had to roll my eyes on some of Graham's gestures and speeches, and I actually like sappy scenes. Most importantly in sections which takes in the future, I felt like I did not enjoy what I was reading and asked myself why am I reading something that makes me frown. I am OK with crying in books but I actually enjoy sad scenes in most books. In this book, sadly this was not the case.
I think I like my romance books to make me happy all of the time. This experience made me see it. I admired Colleen Hoover as a writer but I get a feeling her content is not for me.

message 29: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (bookstatsandtea) My first Colleen Hoover and I loved it!! I listened to ot on audio and really like the narrator as well. I'm not generally a romance reader but figured I'd give it a shot. I now want to read more of her books!!

message 30: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Quinn | 3 comments Just finished and it's a 4 star book for me. I adored Graham! I'll save the specifics and reasoning for the live show, but I loved him and definitely did NOT love Quinn. (view spoiler) So, I did enjoy it, it just wasn't 5 stars. I have enjoyed a few others of hers more, but this was still a great read!

message 31: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Metcalf | 3 comments I can see that I will be in the minority here. I want to say first that I have read most of Colleen Hoover’s books and loved them all! But this is the first one that I really didn’t enjoy. I won’t spoil anything. I’ll just say that I really didn’t like it and I think the narration made it worse. :(

message 32: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 10 comments I liked parts of this book but in general it fell flat for me and I gave it 3 stars and I listened to it.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) | 33 comments Mod
I'm beyond excited for the live show tonight! I hope you all can make it tonight August 29th @ 8pm EST on Jen's YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TodayinJ...