Space Opera Fans discussion

Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4)
This topic is about Once a Hero
BOTM THEMED > August 2018 THEMED Once a Hero by Moon

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa Carrigan | 2395 comments Mod
The August 2018 THEMED pick is Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4) by Elizabeth Moon Once a Hero by Elizabeth Moon. The theme is Junior Officer. Please use this thread to post questions, comments, and reviews, at any time.

This book is also available in the omnibus The Serrano Connection by Elizabeth Moon The Serrano Connection. While it is marked as 4th in a series, it is a good entry point. That is, there is no need to have read the Heris Serrano books first.

Official description 1:
When Esmay Suiza found herself in the middle of a space battle, the senior surviving officer, she had no choice but to take command and win. She didn't want to be a hero, but Once A Hero....

Official description 2:
Esmay Suiza wasn’t a member of a great Navy family like the Serranos. She’d had to make her way on grit alone, which meant it wasn’t likely she’d make admiral, but all she wanted was to be part of the Fleet. But then she ended up a raging space battle, and was the only one who could stop a superior office turned traitor. She had never wanted to be a hero, but fate had other ideas. . . .

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have read this several times and look forward to rereading it for our discussion. I’m rather puzzled by the two official descriptions since my memory says the mutiny took place in a different book, although it is definitely discussed in this book. There is a battle in this book and Esmay plays a key role in it.

message 3: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’ve started my reread. All the after the fact talk about the mutiny makes me want to reread the third Heris Serrano book, but I know full well that the parts with Esmay formed a very small portion of that book.

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 883 comments Mod
Teresa wrote: "I’ve started my reread. All the after the fact talk about the mutiny makes me want to reread the third Heris Serrano book, but I know full well that the parts with Esmay formed a very small portion of that book."

That's one of the reasons I'm reluctant to read this book. I really hate to read things out of order. So I would want to reread all the books in the series preceding this one before I tackle it. And I'm not sure I'm up to that right now.

message 5: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

The first time I read this I don’t think I had even heard of the three Heris Serrano books. Once a Hero does give enough details but yes it feels like you are coming into the middle of a story. I’m looking forward to remembered action scenes in this book.

message 6: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 883 comments Mod
My problem is that it's been many years -- 20? -- since I read them so I don't know how well I'd remember them. And since I still own them, in paper, I could read them, but if I did decide to reread them, I'd probably go ahead an buy the kindle versions, so ... unjustifiable expense. See how my mind squirrels around and defeats me.

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like the first assignment Major Pitak gives Esmay, that sends her all over the ship verifying the map. A ship that big with that many technical experts.... yeah, things will be changed. I think that was in chapter 8.

message 8: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The action that I recalled starts about 30% into the book. I’m enjoying rereading it even though as I go I remember some parts before I reach that point of the story.

Correction: 60%. I was reading in the omnibus.

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished my reread. Very satisfying, and much better than the third Heris Serrano book which I rarely reread.

I like the realism of characters having to deal with mental trauma, and that it takes time and therapy to heal. So many books just have the hero take it all in stride.

Here’s a quote that isn’t much of a spoiler:
"Well, sir, my recollection is that the Board said I should not command any R.S.S. combat vessels until further training . . . it didn't say anything about Bloodhorde ships."