What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Fantasy Book with Adoption

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Goddessanyel (new)

Goddessanyel | 1 comments I'm trying to find a book where an adventurer type character ends up adopting a child they save. Preferably a father/daughter relationship and preferably something emotional, although I'll be happy with anything that falls along those lines. I LOVE stories like that, but I can't seem to really find any... It doesn't have to be the main focus of the story.

message 2: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. The first book is Magic Bites.

I can’t give too much description, because it will give things away. And the child/parent relationship develops over several books. And because it’s in an “alternative reality” Atlanta, I don’t recall a legal adoption, but the legalities of things is much looser in their world.

However, the commitment from Kate Daniels (a sword wielding mercenary) and her significant other (who I won’t name) to the non-biological child is equivalent to adoption.

There are vampires and shifters and magic, oh my!!!!

message 3: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments I can’t edit my post, but to talk about your conditions: yes they save the child. It’s not really an emotional type book. More action/adventure/romance. The mother/daughter relationship develops first, but the father/daughter relationship does develop and he does help save the child. He has a strong instinct to protect his family. Definitely fantasy.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
There is also the Black Company series. In that one, the child (a girl) is rescued and raised by all the men of the company. The Black Company It's been a long time since I read any of this series, but I think that it meets your criteria.

And in the last 2 or 3 books of the Mercy Thompson series, Mercy and Adam have adopted a "looks 10 years old but is actually a couple of hundred years old" boy who was trapped Underhill by the fae. Moon Called is the first book of the series. But there are at present 10 books in the series with an 11th in the offing, and, as I said, the "adoption" doesn't happen until like the 8th book. Still, it's a good series. It's UF rather than high fantasy. There is a spin off series that's chugging along at the same time as the Mercy series called Alpha and Omega which you might also like. The last book in that series (like book #5 I think) the 2 MCs were talking about possibly adopting a child. This book has werewolves, vampires, witches, Fae and Mercy--who is a child of the Native myths of North America, as opposed to those of Europe, which the other beings so far appearing in the series are.

I'll think and see what/if I can think of others. (Oh, and I support Ebookworm2016's suggestion of Kate Daniels. Also a really good U.F. series. And I'll go a little further than Ebook did and say--magic and science are in a battle for that Earth. And science is getting it's butt kicked up around its ears.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Two that come to mind:
In the UF book Wickedly Dangerous, the heroine is trying to save kidnapped kids and (view spoiler)

In the Phryne Fisher mystery series by Kerry Greenwood, the heroine rescues a couple of orphaned girls and adopts them. They play a major part in her life in the series. I don't want to spoil it more by telling you which book this occurs in, so I'll just say the first book in the series is Cocaine Blues.

message 6: by Ingo (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 617 comments A little off:
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman The Graveyard Book
after his family is killed, a little boy goes to a graveyard and gets raised by ghosts and other beings (see blurb).

Just saw I gave that 5 stars, so I have enjoyed it greatly - I like Neil Gaiman, but some of his later books where just not for me (American Gods I find boring), and I have not read everything.

So beware, this is a strange book and may not be to your liking, but it certainly has an adoption.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Ciara's Song: A Chronicle of Witch World this covers most of the MC's life from her being made an orphan as a result of a mob killing her parents, to her rescue by a local lord who was friends with her parents to what happens as she grows up. There is at least one follow up book, and possibly 2, but I don't remember exactly. It's been a few years since I read this book and it's companions. It's part of a much larger series of books that are a series only because they are all set on the same planet/space time. Altho at times you do get a character from one of the other series wander in and appear as a minor character in another sub-series.

message 8: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Aug 06, 2018 03:40PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2070 comments Tehanu, the fourth book in the Earthsea Cycle, but it can't really be read as a stand-alone.