Play Book Tag discussion

The Power
This topic is about The Power
July 2018: Dystopian > The Power - Naomi Alderman - 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is such a hard book for me to review because, while this book has a lot of hype surrounding it, I did not love it. In fact, I barely even liked it.

The story is divided up into a handful of characters, the main characters being Tunde, Margot, and Roxy. While some of the characters were better developed, others were not. I felt like I didn't truly get to know any of the characters in this story and I was certainly unable to relate to them. By the end of the book, I was actually tired of this story's characters. As someone who prefers more character-driven plots, I would have enjoyed more character development, and simply better characters.

Before reading this book, I believed the plot had potential with a theme about power imbalances. Women gaining power was a draw for me. But only a few pages in, I began to feel disheartened at the realization that this power, once gained, was not rightfully wielded; it was abused. The plot also became a bit heavy on the political side, and although I expected some politics in a book like this one, I did not expect to become both bored and confused to the extent that I actually found myself skimming entire sections of the story. At moments I was engaged in the story, however, there were definitely too many moments when I just didn't want to continue. Often once I put the book down I had to force myself to pick it back up.

Ultimately, it was the violence, much of it sexual, that both men and women perpetrated against each other that turned me off to the entire story as it unfolded. As the book devolved into obscene levels of violence, crudeness and sexual depravity, with little real reason, I had to ask, "Is the world any better off with women in power?" To which my answer is no. In fact, the women were far more barbaric than the men who had held the power to begin with. I understand the basis for this book and I’m sure there are many Women’s Studies groups having great discussions about it. But this reader, who minored in Women’s Studies, was far more disturbed by this book than intrigued, and I certainly was not empowered as a woman.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Rachel wrote: "This is such a hard book for me to review because, while this book has a lot of hype surrounding it, I did not love it. In fact, I barely even liked it.

The story is divided up into a handful of ..."

Very much my take.