Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 96 comments This had been on my TBR for quite a while and I'm so glad I finally got to it! I jumped out of it midway, to read Animal Farm for the dystopian tag, and it was amazing how these two books overlap in the communist movement theme and the political & social changes that took place.
But the story is the true joy of A Gentleman in Moscow. The characters are so clearly visualized and unique. And I just love Towles' writing style, which is very descriptive and he uses such rich vocabulary. At times you know which character is in the room simply by his use of an adjective.
My only disappointment was that I wanted a little more (or different?) closure/ending on a few of the characters. It would be a great book for a live book-discussion group.

message 2: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments Loved it!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got this on my TBR. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 817 comments Great book!

message 5: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 432 comments I, too, really enjoyed this book. It is a good book for a lively discussion. We read this in one of my book groups.

I recently picked up Rules of Civility by the same author and am looking forward to beginning that book.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments Yes Rachel. Move this one up on your list higher.

message 7: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I love how books overlap in all sorts of unexpected ways

message 8: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2502 comments I’ve got this on order from the library and I’m really looking forward to it. It was on PBT’s top ten list last year

message 9: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5068 comments Loved this book too. It took me awhile to get around to it, but it's totally worth it!

message 10: by Ladyslott (last edited Jul 26, 2018 04:43PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Soo loved that book!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Yes Rachel. Move this one up on your list higher."

It must be a popular book because all formats of this book are on hold at my library. Just placed a hold on it.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments You know, you should probably add the Nix to your raise higher list too. That was a popular favorite amongst our group last year as well. I just loved it. I bet you would too.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "You know, you should probably add the Nix to your raise higher list too. That was a popular favorite amongst our group last year as well. I just loved it. I bet you would too."

I didn't have this book on my list but I just added it! I read the summary and it sounds very good. Thank you.

message 14: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I liked this well enough but didn’t love it. I preferred Rules of Civility.

message 15: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7860 comments Everyone here is giving this such good reviews-I just could not get through it. Maybe it was where I was I was at in my head at the time...I may re-visit.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Not a fan of this. Love the premise but not the execution.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I'm number 10 in the que at my library so it will be awhile before I get to it.

message 18: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Susie wrote: "I liked this well enough but didn’t love it. I preferred Rules of Civility."

I have a feeling I will be in this boat. I LOVED Rules of Civility, I have a hard time believing I will love this book as much.

message 19: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved Rules of Civility, and I read it before anyone in PBT when we were at Shelfari and I told everyone they had to read it at once! I loved A Gentleman in Moscow and had the same reaction, but if I had to chose one over the other it would be Rules.

message 20: by Colleen (new)

Colleen I'll be reading this later in the year for my RL book club - sounds like most appreciate it. Reading this may be better than trying to listen to the audio, but IDK. Looking forward to it & will check back on this thread for more thoughts.