What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children’s sci-fi book (from70’s?) Boy & cat on alternate Earth, “Tara” or “Terra,” girl from there, plastic bread bag

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alana (new)

Alana | 3 comments A useless line from the book, “In your eye, Herc,” as the boy tosses his gum out & it sticks in the eye of a statue of Hercules, has occupied one of my brain cells for decades. Please help me find this book so I can re-read it and move on with my life! Ha ha.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments How many years ago did you read this?
Anything about the cover?
Can you explain more about the plastic bread bag you mentioned?
Remember anything else about the cover?

message 3: by Alana (new)

Alana | 3 comments I read this as a child or young teen in the late 70s/early 80s, checking it out from my school library multiple times to re-read. No memory of the cover; a “chapter book” without illustrations. The significance of the plastic bread bag is that there was no such material (plastic) in existence on Earth’s twin planet, Terra (or Tara). The boy and his cat were kept in cages and the people of Terra also weren’t familiar with cats, so it could slip through the bars quite easily. The boy was a regular American kid, unaware of this twin planet, until he met a strange girl from there who was on Earth for some reason. I think he lived in NYC and the statue was in Central Park, but I could be wrong about that.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16979 comments Still looking, Alana?

message 5: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4165 comments If you are maybe Earth Times Two?

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Watson | 136 comments I did a little googling. “Earth times two” by Pamela Reynolds seems very similar, including a cat. Here is a link to a review. Does this seem like the book? https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...