Great American Read List discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2018 09:49AM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
I've created this topic with the intention of providing information for those that may be considering purchasing an e-reader, to help choose a device based on firsthand experience of members.

I have a Nook 1st edition which is about nine years old, and a Nook GlowLight 3 that's less than two months old. After reading Ghost and starting Patina on my new device I've discovered what I do and don't like about this e-reader (so far).

● The battery lasts longer. I'm uncertain as to how much longer, because I haven't read a book continuously with the GlowLight 3 yet, but when I do I'll let you know.
● It is much lighter in weight than the 1st edition. This is the first improvement that I noticed immediately.
● It has a built-in light that automatically adjusts to the environment, which is useful in dim rooms, the car, etc.
● There is a night mode which automatically shifts from cool to warm light, which is healthier for the eyes.
● The font size can be adjusted to larger sizes than the 1st edition.
● The font can be made thicker, making it easier to see.
● The page-turn function is faster.
● The margins can be adjusted (I prefer the text extend closely to the sides of the screen).
● The line spacing can be adjusted (I like it closer together as it appears in print books).

Dislikes:
● It's far too sensitive to direct sunlight. If I go outside on my deck to read and it's 85° or hotter, it gives me a warning within ten minutes that the device needs to cool down. I've never had that problem with the 1st edition. I could read however long I wanted in whatever temperature without an issue.
● It doesn't display the time when you have a book open, as the 1st edition does, but it only takes one tap in the center of the screen to find it at the top.
● It didn't come with a manual, but I found one online that's been helpful: Nook GlowLight 3 User Guide.

This is what I've discovered so far, but I'll be sure to update when I learn more.

Do you own an e-reader? If so, which one? What do you like/dislike about it? Please share!

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 35 comments I have a kindle paper white. It is about 5 years old. I love it. It works in any kind of light, also has a long battery life. Amazon just did a major update and made the navigation easier. It is also connected to Goodreads. I have never taken it out in the heat for long periods of time.

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I have a Kindle Voyage that I really love. Like Cindy said above, it works in any kind of light, long battery life and really easy to navigate. It has LED adjustable lighting and it's connected to GRs. I've had mine out in the heat (by the pool) with no problems. I'm taking it down to Florida where is will be hotter so I'll let you know how it manages there. I've had Kindle Paperwhite as well which I also really loved. I don't find too much of difference between the two versions, I just wanted the newer, upgraded version.

I also have the Kindle Fire HD but don't do as much reading on that one yet...I prefer to reach for the voyage if I'm going to be reading on an ereader. I like the color covers better though!

I love that I can easily connect to my library ebooks through amazon/kindle. It is so smooth and effortless.

message 4: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I remember when my husband got the very first, original kindle. It was such a different device to what it has evolved into! I also remember thinking that I could never read on one of those and now I have two and love them. Was your original Nook one of those dinosaurs too, Lavan?

message 5: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 23, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Thank you for sharing, Cindy and Tasha!
The navigation is something I'm still getting used to, not because it's difficult but just different from the 1st edition. I hope that I'll come to the conclusion that it's easier with the GlowLight 3 or at least comparable.

Please let me know about potential heat sensitivity when you visit Florida, Tasha. That's my biggest disappointment with the GlowLight 3. I often read outdoors when the weather is fine.
I chuckled at "dinosaurs." Yes, some refer to the 1st edition as "Original" Nook—Barnes & Noble Nook 1st Edition. I absolutely love that e-reader! I have 250 books downloaded (before support ended for the device) that I still intend to read on it rather than the GlowLight 3. I think I'll always favor it (as long as it continues to work), because it's my first e-reader.

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I searched first kindles on wiki and I think it was actually the 2nd gen kindle my husband had because it looked like this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_...

It was fun looking this up. :)

So even though you have lost support, I'm assuming you can still use your old nook, right? You just can't get help for it?

message 7: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 23, 2018 12:55PM) (new)

I can no longer download new purchases to my 1st Edition and it cannot connect to my e-library on Barnes & Noble. Any new ebooks (bought after June 29ᵗʰ) must be read on my GlowLight 3. So far, that's only been Ghost and Patina.

I'm glad Barnes & Noble sent out an e-mail beforehand, informing 1st Edition owners that support was ending. It gave me time to make sure that every ebook in my e-library was un-archived and downloaded. As long as that device is working, I'll always have access to those 250 ebooks.

message 8: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
I'm on my third Kindle. My first was one of the original first-generation Kindles. The second was a Kindle Keyboard (3rd gen), and the current one is a Kindle Paperwhite, bought a few months ago. I'm definitely a big fan of the e-ink Kindles. My eyesight is not great, and it gets worse at night. I wouldn't be able to do nearly as much reading as I do now if not for the Kindle.

I'm also a big fan of e-ink screens in general. I have friends who have no problems reading books on their phones or on an iPad, but I can't do that for long periods of time. It really fries my eyes. I can read magazine articles, comics, and short books on my iPad, but for any series reading, the e-ink screen really helps.

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I prefer the e-ink screens as well which is mainly why I go to my K Voyage over the K Fire. I find it feels better on my eyes as well. I can do shorter reads on my phone and the fire but definitely prefer the e-ink readers.

message 10: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 26, 2018 09:11AM) (new)

Nothing beats an e-reader with E-ink for long reading sessions as far as comfort for the eyes!
Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, and Nook GlowLight 3 all have 4ᵗʰ generation E-ink technology—E-ink Carta.

I know my eyes are grateful!

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne | 1 comments I'm in exactly the same position - I had an original nook, which they stopped supporting, so I got a nook glowlight 3 a few weeks ago, and it twice has shut down after about 10-15 minutes of reading it outside. I never had that problem with my original nook. The whole point of getting an e-ink reader was to be able to see the page in sunlight! Very, very disappointed in this e-reader (even though, yes, the battery lasts a long time, it weighs a lot less than the original nook, and the pages do turn faster).

message 12: by Tasha (new)

Tasha wow, so it seems it might be a flaw in the product. oh no. :(

message 13: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 30, 2018 08:44AM) (new)

Anne wrote: "I'm in exactly the same position - I had an original nook, which they stopped supporting, so I got a nook glowlight 3 a few weeks ago, and it twice has shut down after about 10-15 minutes of readin..."

Hello Anne!
Have you tried reading it on a hot day in the shade? I haven't tried this yet, but I'm curious if it would perform better, though I prefer reading in the sunshine. An hour a day when it's sunny gives and maintains a nice tan.

I did some research concerning e-readers in direct sunlight and couldn't find anything definitive as to other devices that can handle it. If a Kindle is truly better in this situation I would consider buying one, but it'd be a shame given my existing e-library.

message 14: by Tasha (last edited Jul 30, 2018 11:21AM) (new)

Tasha Unfortunately, I can't give you specific details about the sun and a kindle, I prefer the shade, lol.

message 15: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Tasha wrote: "Unfortunately, I can't give you specific details about the sun and a kindle, I prefer the shade, lol."

No problem, Tasha!
Hopefully some members will have firsthand experience as to how well Kindle e-readers perform while reading in direct sunlight. I've been asking family, friends and acquaintances as well. My dental hygienist (I had a cleaning appointment yesterday and we always discuss books) said she's never had an issue with her Kindle Paperwhite, but I didn't ask her to specify how long a period of time she's read in the sun in one sitting.

message 16: by Tasha (new)

Tasha In all the reviews I've read for kindles, I've never come across the sun as an issue though.

message 17: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 24, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

I just read A Storm of Swords with my GlowLight 3 in the sun for a little over an hour without any problems. Right now, it's 82° .

There might only be an issue when it's over 85° .

message 18: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Sounds like you found the sweet spot, haha. :)