Diversity in All Forms! discussion

Monthly Book Suggestions > Historical Event (September 2018)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (new)

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1383 comments Mod
The diversity topic we cover in September is Historical Event.

*The November was Mental Health, December was Religion/Spiritual beliefs/Practices, January was Gender Stereotypes, February was Classism, March was LGBTQ+, April was Immigration Status, May was abilities/disabilities, June was True Crime, July was Ageism and August was race/ethnicity so those are not an option for September*

Please suggest a book that fits this topic! You have till 7/25/18. Then we will vote!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka -- historical event is Japanese "picture brides" in the USA and their lives up to the WWII internment camps. (If I am only permitted one nominee, then this.)

In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez Dominican Republic at the time of the Trujillo dictatorship. The sisters in the book (the Butterflies) were real people.

Small Island by Andrea Levy -- Windrush Generation in Great Britain. Jamaican immigrants to Great Britain.

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman Judaea - Roman period - Masada

I was going to suggest Half of a Yellow Sun , but that is on the schedule for August. Such a broad topic.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I nominate Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

This novel follows the fortunes of a menagerie of New Yorkers through a day in 1974--the day of Philippe Petit's death-defying tightrope walk between the newly built Twin Towers.

It won the National Book Award in 2009

message 6: by Leslie (last edited Jul 23, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) So, we can nominate nonfiction as well as fiction?

message 8: by Mariah Roze (new)

Yup! Nonfiction and fiction are allowed as long as they are based on a historical event that happened :)

message 9: by Mariah Roze (new)

Here is the past book that we read for Historical Event:

I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai, Christina Lamb

message 10: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Jul 23, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 18 comments I nominate Clandestine in Chile: the Adventures of Miguel Littin by Gabriel Garcia Marquez because the US-backed coup in which Pinochet overthrew the Chilean government is called “the other September 11.” See https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... for a summary.

message 11: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Jul 23, 2018 03:51AM) (new)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 18 comments If we can nominate more than one book, I’d also like to nominate By Permission of Heaven: the True Story of the Great Fire of London by Adrian Tinniswood. The Great Fire started on September 2, 1666.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 18 comments Babi Yar by Anatoli Kuznetzev. Novel about the massacre of over 30,000 Jews in Babi Yar between September 29 and 30, 1941.

Biko: a Life by Xolela Mangcu. Biko died while in police detention in South Africa, Sept. 22, 1977.

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 10 comments I recommend Zeitoun. It's a true story about the response to Hurricane Katrina.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 14: by Puck (new)

Puck | 15 comments I recommend Salt to the Sea, a book about the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff ship at the end of World War II. When the ship sank almost 9000 civilian refugees, mostly children, drowned.

message 15: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (megjoh) Seconding, The Buddha In the Attic.

And adding: The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America

message 16: by Hany (new)

Hany Abdelmalek I recommend: A Brief History of The First World War by Jon E. Lewis. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2....

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 15 comments What kind of historical event?

message 19: by Elaine (new)

Elaine H | 5 comments The Book of Harlan, Bernice L. McFadden