What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Childrens book. Kids stay home alone in the snow while dad goes to work (i think?). Instructed not to let anyone in, but they let in a strange man who knocks.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (last edited Jul 22, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Christina | 1 comments I believe this book was set in a village of some kind.. possibly European. The man (pretty sure it was a man) they let in ends up sleeping in one of their beds. I believe there is an oldest sister and two younger siblings. I can't remember the ending or any other details.

I have no idea when this book was published or when the story was made up. My memories are so vague but i'm guessing I read it around primary school age

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (slpc) | 4 comments The Cabin Faced West by Jean Fritz?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
The Cabin Faced West for the link.

message 4: by Becca (last edited Jan 07, 2021 02:54AM) (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 3288 comments Roughly when (what year) do you think you read it? We don't know when you were primary school age.

The description reminds me of the story 'Our Neighbour's House' from the collection Through the Woods by Emily Carroll, which was published in 2014, so it would be good to know if that's too recent. Through the Woods is a collection of creepy / horror comics, so it would also help to know what tone or genre the story you remember was - was the strange man scary? Was the setting contemporary or historical?

message 5: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 3288 comments If you're still looking for this, maybe The Children Who Stayed Alone by Bonnie Bess Worline.