The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Fantastic Beasts 2: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1646 comments Comic con trailer: https://youtu.be/5sEaYB4rLFQ

Newt's bigger fear LOL

Also, Dumbledaymmm.

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments Chills!!!!

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6888 comments Mod
On one hand I love Harry Potter and excited for more stories in that world. On the other hand Johnny Depp sounds like a terrible person and I wish he wasn't in this movie.

I'm really excited by the movie. I hope Johnny Depp doesn't get a lot of screen time though. That was really a terrible casting decision.

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill | 105 comments I was really disappointed by the first movie and couldn't make it through it. Will probably try again before this one comes out.

Have to agree about Depp being a horrible casting choice.

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 680 comments I'm really excited about this movie & the whole Scamander Saga!

You guys are aware that Johnny Depp played Grindelwald in the 1st Fantastic Beasts movie, right? That casting decision was made several years ago.

Anyway, I have been a fan of his work since 21 Jump Street was new. I reserve judgement on him as a person (I try to do that with everyone), but I haven't heard about him being so bad as to merit recasting, etc.

message 6: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I wasn't thrilled by the first film and was surprised by Depp being in that one. Definitely won't be seeing the second one. Partly because of him not being recast but also because I was underwhelmed by the first.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill | 105 comments I don’t think I made i far enough into the first to see Depp.

message 8: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6888 comments Mod
I really liked the first one right up until they revealed Johnny Depp.

I used to really like Johnny Depp too. Until I learned he was a domestic abuser.

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1137 comments I found the first film pretty meh. And Johnny Depp is another off-putting factor. This trailer hasn’t done anything to pique my interest in this film tbh - lots of sfx, not much evidence of a compelling story.

message 10: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1646 comments Since I am a Potterhead I just have to watch this movie and try not to gag during Depp's scene. I am kind of intrigued with the producer saying that Grindewald would be a scarier villain than Voldemort.

I also want to see Dumbledore being a manipulator when he was younger.Newt seemed to mirror Harry, being a tool to fight. I just hope he'll show more agency since he was already an adult. But maybe not since he owed Dumbledore.

And I want to see more beasts, more advanced magic, more of the Wizarding world, and last but not least, more Jacob.

message 11: by Nils (new)

Nils Krebber | 186 comments The first one was beautiful, and it was a joy to see Eddie Redmayne as Newt.
But I agree that they should have stayed with Colin Farrell for Grindelwald - he had a wonderful mix of father figure and evil manipulator going on. Depp is just knee deep in makeup again.
This plus the stupid decision to not acknowledge Dumbledores sexuality in here really leave a bad taste, so this one will be earliest on Streaming for me - if at all.

message 12: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments I thought the first one was alright. Didn't have the same magic as the main series movies, but at the end of those, I hated them (and the money grab of splitting the movies), so that's probably ok. This one looks like it will be more interesting (since it's related to things learned about in the mainline books) than the first Fantastic Beasts.

I'll hold my nose about Depp and already have plans to watch this with my sister at the local Alamo. It comes out right before her birthday so it's going to be a good time.

Didn't realize that they weren't going to address Dumbledore's sexuality. That's disappointing.

message 13: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Nils wrote: "...the stupid decision to not acknowledge Dumbledores sexuality..."

THIS TOO. It's not enough to say a character is queer and not reflect that on the screen (or page). Stop with the half-measures. Stop with the queer erasure. It's hurtful and cruel.

https://www.themarysue.com/harry-pott... The Mary Sue says it much better than I can.

message 14: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1646 comments Oh no, I gave the wrong link in my first post. I meant to provide this latest one: https://youtu.be/vvFybpmyB9E

Has some intesting bits:
- Newt's boggart
- Dumbledore in front of the Mirror of Erised (a scene that surely gives the audience some info about his relationship with Grindelwald)
- A Lethifold (?) flying around
- some new beasts - what were the catlike beasts?
- and Johnny Depp saying stuff
Aside from this last part, I am pretty excited!