The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Book Suggestions > September 2018 Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L. (new)

L. (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
Please nominate up to 3 titles from the list in the "How It Works" thread for our monthly group read for September 2018. * Please make sure it is a book that has not already been read by this group (can be found on the bookshelves).

message 2: by Ami (new)

Ami Ray (amiray) | 2 comments 1. The Crucible
2. The Metamorphosis
3. The Shining

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (miniguinea73) 1. Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake

2. Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential (thought it would be a nice thing since he just passed)

3. Michael Chabon, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

message 6: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zoemmaude) | 46 comments 1. The Shining
2. Wuthering Heights
3. Walden

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 8 comments The Godfather
The Da Vinci Code
The Shining

message 8: by Windy (new)

Windy | 44 comments 1. Rebecca
2. The Crucible
3. Tuesdays with Morrie

message 9: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM | 20 comments 1. Carrie
2.A Tale of Two Cities
3.Peyton Place

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Wall | 1 comments 1.Out of Africa - Isac Denison
2.David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
3.Northanger abbey - Jane Austen

message 12: by Sharri (new)

Sharri Delk | 9 comments 1. The shining
2. Anthony Bourdain
3. The crucible

message 13: by Katie (last edited Jul 31, 2018 01:22PM) (new)

message 14: by Demy (new)

Demy (dxmy) 1. The DaVinci Code
2. The Shining
3. Atonement

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 296 comments 1. Oryx and Crake-Margret Atwood
2. The outsiders-Susan Hinton
3. Rosemary's baby-Ira Levin

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol Barnes (cjbarnes) | 5 comments 1. Out of Africa
2. The Outsiders
3. Peyton Place

message 18: by The Annotated (new)

The Annotated | 25 comments 1.onyx and crake
2.house of spirits
3.out of africa

message 19: by Celine (new)

Celine | 9 comments 1- The Iliad/The Odyssey
2- Rebecca
3- Onyx and Crake

message 20: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 19, 2018 02:45PM) (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 296 comments Can we talk about how this works? We write what books we want to read, but how do you decide what makes it onto the poll? Because I don't see "Eat, pray, love" on here at all.

message 21: by L. (new)

Hi Stephanie- every month I get somewhere from 5-10 inbox messages with suggestions it makes it hard to keep track of on my part which is why I have the thread set up. If I have one or two in my inbox that haven’t been mentioned much or sound like something the group would like I add it on to the poll. That’s what I did this month with eat pray love. I had two messages with it so added it to the poll and that looks like it was a popular choice!

message 22: by L. (new)

Forgot to add above- the choices for the poll are usually the most request books on this thread!

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 296 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Stephanie- every month I get somewhere from 5-10 inbox messages with suggestions it makes it hard to keep track of on my part which is why I have the thread set up. If I have one or two in my in..."

OK, I didn't realize that people were sending you messages about it too. I try to just leave it here as I'm sure you don't really have time to read extra messages anyways.
Thanks for answering.

message 24: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 36 comments Hi Laura,
Maybe there should be a rule that book suggestions only can be send on this discussion board and not in private messages to you? Some how that seems more fair to me.

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim (flychickadee) | 70 comments I personally feel like Laura is doing a really good job with this group and think it's fine if people want to message her instead of posting. It seems very rigid to make rules for how we decide what to suggest, especially since it's not the end-all decision for the book we're going to be reading. Some people aren't ok with posting publicly and also Laura is volunteering her time. She's also stated that most of the picks come from the public thread.

We aren't all required to read what is picked for the month, so when what I haven't voted for isn't what is picked, I just read what I vote for.

I just wanted to make sure the opposite was also presented (and while I could claim to just be playing devil's advocate I actually think how it's running right now is great).

Thanks Laura!

message 26: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 36 comments Okay, fair points. And I didn't mean it offensive and I didn't mean to say that Laura isn't doing a good job with this group.
I'm sorry if it seemed that way! I meant it like a question/idea, that's all.

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim (flychickadee) | 70 comments Jeanine wrote: "Okay, fair points. And I didn't mean it offensive and I didn't mean to say that Laura isn't doing a good job with this group.
I'm sorry if it seemed that way! I meant it like a question/idea, that'..."

It didn't come across as you saying Laura isn't doing a good job with the group :)

I was just a lil extra feisty (sorry!!) cause I hadn't had my coffee yet. Also my job in real life Adulting is devil's advocate and it usually starts or ends by giving the person/group in charge a complement so I think I also kicked into work mode (sorry again!!!)

message 28: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 36 comments Thank you Kim, I understand and no hard feelings here :)!

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 296 comments I just didnt understand how it worked and I was curious. I dont feel the need to defend my actions or words. Im personally not re-reading books but Im just reading dead souls now instead. So, there. 😛