YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived BOM Nominations > August 2018 Book of the Month - Go VOTE

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Jul 31, 2018 11:05AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16732 comments Hey everyone,

We'll have an open nomination this time, but do be aware that a more accessible book (low cost, in libraries, etc) is easier for members to join in on.

What YA LGBTQ book would you like to read, or do you think members who haven't read it should try, (and those who have read it can discuss), as our BotM for Aug-Sept?

What book made a difference to you, and might to other readers? What sounds interesting, appealing or different?

If possible, link the book page on GR and tell us a little about it or why you picked it, or post the blurb.

The titles of past books of the month that we have read are on all the threads in this "Book of the Month" folder, and you can also check with a search of the group's book-of-the-month Bookshelf at - https://www.goodreads.com/group/books... Please do not repeat a book we have read - either as a past Book of the Month or as a Buddy Read (check the Buddy Read folder) - and please only nominate the first book in a series, unless a later book stands alone completely as a solo read.

Up to two nominations per member. Nominations will be open through Midnight July 30, or sooner if we get 12 nominations - the max for voting. Feel free to renominate a book that did not win in a past vote, if it fits this category.

(Authors please do not nominate your own books - but readers can definitely nominate a member author's work)

The poll is now up here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Vote through Aug 5th.

message 2: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Queens of Geek. I know I'm a broken record, but it's been the bridesmaid so many times!

I'm also excited about reading Girl Hearts Girl, because there isn't a massive amount of bio/nonfiction for the young adult demographic.

message 3: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) | 69 comments Spellbook of the Lost and Found is a favourite of mine - it's a bisexual magical realism novel about a group of young people looking into a mysterious diary as their own possessions begin to disappear.

message 4: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Benjamin wrote: "Spellbook of the Lost and Found is a favourite of mine - it's a bisexual magical realism novel about a group of young people looking into a mysterious diary as their own possessions begin to disappear. "

That sounds AWESOME.

message 5: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) | 69 comments Iamshadow wrote: "That sounds AWESOME. "

It really is! The author's made some great points about bi rep as well:
https://moirafowleydoyle.com/2016/06/...

message 6: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16732 comments Big Man Big Man by Matthew J. Metzger by Matthew J. Metzger

This one has a significantly overweight straight MC questioning his sexuality as he becomes attracted to a trans guy. warnings for (view spoiler) I really enjoyed it, despite a couple of points I disagree with.

Max Farrier wanted to follow in the family footsteps and join the Navy once, but he’s better off focusing on just surviving his last year of school and going to work in Aunt Donna’s shop once it’s over.

After an incident at school puts Max in the hospital, Aunt Donna’s had enough. She signs him up for private lessons at a Muay Thai gym. Boxing—she says—will change everything.

But it’s not boxing that starts to poke holes in Max’s stupor—it’s his sparring partner. Cian is fifty percent mouth, fifty percent attitude, and isn’t afraid to go toe-to-toe with a bully in the street. Cian takes what he wants, and doesn’t let anyone stand in his way—not even himself.

message 7: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16732 comments The poll is now up here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Vote through Aug 5th.