Play Book Tag discussion

July 2018: Dystopian > The Belle’s by Dhonielle Clayton - 5 Stars!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Parrish-Gibbons | 13 comments In this alternative universe everyone has grey tinged skin and red eyes other than “the belles”. Not only are the belles pretty but they have the ability to use the three arcanas to give the people of Orleans the beauty they desire. The belles of each generation show off for who will be named the favourite and will serve the princess and queen but it’s not all it’s cut out to be for Camellia who is a known rule pusher.

I would highly recommend this book! It is beautifully written and filled with love, betrayal, hatred and shows the craziness of the monster that we in society try to live up to’s beauty standards. “The Belles” does not hold back and can be uncomfortable as people push Camelia and her sisters to do beauty work that is not morally right for the sake of someone being the most beautiful. This is a highly intriguing book that is worth it to truly see the ugly side of beauty standard in this altervate universe that also makes us question our own.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments This sounds both entertaining and interesting. So glad you found such a great choice for dystopia. Had you read this author before?

message 3: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 674 comments This one's on my to-read list. Glad it's a good one!

message 4: by Joi (last edited Jul 26, 2018 10:05AM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3774 comments I actually just started this! Couldn't resist the chance to get a new YA dystopian world book in for this tag. Excited to see a 5 star review.

One really interesting so far is because everyone is born grey- there is no aspect of racial/ethnic diversity or tension like in modern day.