Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > wrong book data - it sucks - really!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by TomMuc (new)

TomMuc | 19 comments ... why do so many airheads create books - use the isbn or asin and then add description in wrong language, wrong page numbers, wrong covers, wrong language etc etc ???

and then for each and every book one have to post here in the forum and bother others to change all the nonsense ...

cheers
tom

message 2: by Abcdarian (last edited Jul 22, 2018 07:09AM) (new)

Abcdarian | 21367 comments Sometimes one language gets set as the default description and is added automatically to any edition without its own. Edition language is often set to English by the auto-import bots. Etc. It's not all down to airheads. :-)

message 3: by TomMuc (last edited Jul 22, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

TomMuc | 19 comments Abcdarian wrote: "Sometimes one language gets set as the default description and is added automatically to any edition without its own. Edition language is often set to English by the auto-import bots. Etc. It's not..."

so - in this cases the software and bot coders were the airheads :)))

message 4: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 21367 comments Pretty much. :-D

message 5: by TomMuc (new)

TomMuc | 19 comments Abcdarian wrote: "Pretty much. :-D"

anyways - goodreads is a nice thing - but i would really appreciate if some guys would be little more careful and accurate when adding books :)

message 6: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 21837 comments As for wrong covers, there are publishers who use the same isbn for an edition with a different cover.

For the issues you mention, you'll have to look at the book page. Usually when I work on an author, I look at the combine page (only available for librarians). From that page it is easy to spot strange titles (like "German edition" or "roman" added to the title) and correct that; and also to combine translations with the other editions.

And for making requests here: when nobody who has read that edition is posting issues here, the chances they will be corrected are close to zero.

message 7: by TomMuc (last edited Jul 22, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

TomMuc | 19 comments Arenda wrote: "As for wrong covers, there are publishers who use the same isbn for an edition with a different cover.

For the issues you mention, you'll have to look at the book page. Usually when I work on an a..."

yes - i saw this often on amazon - they change the cover over time. but what i meant were totally wrong covers from other books, missing covers, covers from other language or edition.

yep - but i thought it would be great if everybody would be a little more careful when adding a book :)

of course!

message 8: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 21837 comments TomMuc wrote: "yep - but i thought it would be great if everybody would be a little more careful when adding a book :)"

Totally agree on that part.