Roger Zelazny discussion

General > Fun & Interesting Miscellany

Comments Showing 1-50 of 191 (191 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Know of an interesting site or have a funny joke? If you can't find another place to post it, why not do it here?

message 2: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments How do you pronounce that word in a bunch of languages?
http://forvo.com/languages/en/
is for English, but they have a bunch of others too.

message 3: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "How do you pronounce that word in a bunch of languages?
http://forvo.com/languages/en/
is for English, but they have a bunch of others too."

Speaking of pronouncing words, I recently learned to pronounce "synecdoche". I was amazed. For the pronunciation, see:
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/feature...

I had never even heard of the word before the movie came out. See IMDb page at:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383028/
Weird movie.

Anyway, the word almost rhymes with "Schenectady", a town near Albany, NY, and is the hometown of the protagonist in the movie. So the title of the movie is a clever play on words.

OK, tell the truth... did you ever hear of the word "synecdoche" before now or before the movie came out?

The meaning of "synecdoche" has to do with "substituting a more inclusive term for a less inclusive one or vice versa" (definition. from onelook.com)

According to an online review of the movie, "the theatrical world ... comes to stand in for [the protagonist's:] ... reality" [from review of Scott Foundas, Village Voice:]

So that's the significance of the movie's title. Without the words from the above review, I doubt if I would have figured that out because the movie was so weird. It plays fast and loose with time sequence and has other confusing aspects which threw me for a loop.

message 4: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I've never heard of that word or the movie before. Thanks!

message 5: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "I've never heard of that word or the movie before. Thanks!"

I'm sure you're not alone. :)

message 6: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jennifer wrote: "I had heard of that word and did have the pronounciation right, but I didn't know what it meant. Interesting stuff."

Hi Jennifer. As much as I disliked the movie "Synecdoche",
I did a lot of "talking" about it. LOL Here's the thread I started:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 7: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I came across this article in another group. It's about books, bookcases & why folks display books. Pretty interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/ma...

message 8: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "I came across this article in another group. It's about books, bookcases & why folks display books. Pretty interesting.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/ma... "

I've often wondered about that. In fact I was just thinking about it last night. I'm going to take a look at that webpage. Thanks, Jim.

As for myself, I'd rather display photos reminding me of happy family memories. I never read a book more than once and usually get my books from the library.

I do have a small collection of books which I value and I do regret giving away some of my favorite books. But I still do not feel compelled to have a huge book collection. Because if I did, I would probably go broke.

I must say that over the years I have collected passages and quotes from the books I've read. The words were scribbled down as I read. On my shelves are a good number of loose-leaf notebooks containing those notes, each on a page dedicated to the particular book they were taken from. So in a way, I do save what I have read. I've saved the parts which moved me most.

message 9: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I have bookcases all over, including one that covers my entire bedroom wall. I built it myself. There isn't much nicer than drowsing on the bed, visiting with old friends. Some were my father's. I've read all & re-read most. I can just look at the spines & remember what I was doing when I read the book or revisit the story or what ever. I find them very relaxing.

I do have 'pretty' books, most are reference, but I only keep those I use. The shelves are generally rather haphazard because I get too many books & stuff them into open spaces, along with printouts of articles that expand on them. I don't keep books for looks generally. I do have a few, but they're mostly special editions I've acquired along the way & generally duplicates.

message 10: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Looks like Microsoft is jumping into the market with something new & cool, similar to the Apple tablet. Not just an e-reader, but more.

http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-fi...

Personally, I want just an e-reader, still the form factor & ability to display pictures & color is neat.

message 11: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "Looks like Microsoft is jumping into the market with something new & cool, similar to the Apple tablet. Not just an e-reader, but more.
http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-fi... "

Thanks for the link, Jim. I checked out the video. After seeing how Microsoft's Courier works, I feel as if I'm back in the dark ages with my "old-fashioned" laptop!

And yet, I still meet people who have no knowledge of computers at all, and, what's more, they have no desire to try them. They insist that if I want to talk friends, I can use the telephone. LOL I just respond with: "You don't know what you're missing!"

message 12: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments My mother won't touch a computer, my wife doesn't really know how & hates to. Both figure with me & the kids, they have no need. We're remote terminals.

message 13: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "My mother won't touch a computer, my wife doesn't really know how & hates to. Both figure with me & the kids, they have no need. We're remote terminals. "

My husband and I often exchange emails even though we're sitting in the same room, each with our own laptop. Sometimes I forward emails which I want him to see (e.g., from one of our kids, etc). Or I forward pics I've rec'd by email from other people and which I'd like him to reduce and put on our external back-up drive. I also forward URLs to him when I want him to see something of interest online.

What do you mean when you say: "We're remote terminals."?

message 14: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments We're remote terminals because all Mom or Marg does is say, "Go find this out." or "Order that for me." They don't HAVE to know how to use a computer - they just give the orders & it gets done.

Computers work very similarly to the automatic pause button on the TV. Marg gets up, I pause the show. She comes back, I start it back up. No need for even a verbal command.

;-)

message 15: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "We're remote terminals because all Mom or Marg does is say, "Go find this out." or "Order that for me." They don't HAVE to know how to use a computer - they just give the orders & it gets done.
..."

I see. In one aspect, we have a similar situation. I depend on Eddie to unload the pics from our digital camera. I haven't learned how to do it because he does it for me.

At least you two watch TV together. We watch separately. Different interests.

message 16: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments There is a new interview with Janny Wurts out on the web. The last book of her epic series, The War of Light & Shadows, is due out soon - FINALLY. (The publisher went under partway through & Janny's had a time getting things back together.)

http://www.keepingthedoor.com/2009/10...

message 17: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 06, 2009 10:52AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "There is a new interview with Janny Wurts out on the web. The last book of her epic series, The War of Light & Shadows, is due out soon - FINALLY. (The publisher went under partway ..."

Thanks, Jim. I'll take a look. I've put in a request at our town library for Janny Wurts' _To Ride Hell's Chasm_. Our library has quite a few of her books.

message 18: by Libby (new)

Libby | 9 comments Jim wrote: "There is a new interview with Janny Wurts out on the web. The last book of her epic series, The War of Light & Shadows, is due out soon - FINALLY. (The publisher went under partway ..."

Thanks for posting Jim!

message 19: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments While it's not the first one, this new wrist watch cell phone is probably the best, least expensive & smallest on the market right now. Dick Tracy, eat your heart out!

http://www.itworld.com/mobile-amp-wir...

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 23 comments Jim wrote: "While it's not the first one, this new wrist watch cell phone is probably the best, least expensive & smallest on the market right now. Dick Tracy, eat your heart out!

http://www.itworld.com/mobi..."

Okay, but has anyone yet made a phone for your shoe?

message 21: by Libby (last edited Oct 13, 2009 06:57AM) (new)

message 22: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments I think the following link will bring you some fun:
http://www.lufthansa-vp.com/vp1/play....
http://www.lufthansa-usa.com/useugame...
(Either one of the above links seem to lead to the same page.)

This quiz tests your knowledge of geography. It's a unique way to present a quiz. See if you can find the city on the map.

message 23: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments That's fun, Joy. Thanks.

message 24: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Mail from Mom - Healthy Eating

"Yesterday I went to the doctor for my yearly physical. My blood pressure was high, my cholesterol was high, I'd gained some weight, and I didn't feel so hot. My doctor said eating right doesn't have to be complicated and it would solve my physical problems. He said just think in colors: "Fill your plate with bright colors.. greens, yellows, reds, etc.. I went right home and ate an entire bowl of M & M's. And sure enough, I felt better immediately. I never knew eating right could be so easy."

See it in HTML:
http://www.mailfrommom.com/email/colo...

message 25: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 27, 2009 05:47AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments More "Mail from Mom"

This is some interesting information! See: ====>
http://www.mailfrommom.com/email/manu...

message 26: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments FOR JIM (g):
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Click on thumbnail.

message 27: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments That's a great fly mask, Joy. Thanks. I like the 'Mail from Mom' too.

message 28: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "That's a great fly mask, Joy. Thanks. I like the 'Mail from Mom' too."

Jim, please tell me more about "fly masks". Do the horses mind?

message 29: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I got started reading fantasy because I saw a couple of paperbacks that my father had just bought, Conan Conan the Warrior & Conan Conan the Usurper. They were the Lancer paperbacks & the cover art was by Frank Frazetta. Looking at those pictures, I just HAD to read the stories inside.

Since then, Frazetta has been a favorite of mine. I have several books of his works & can stare at them for hours. I've always thought that it would be fantastic to own an original piece of his artwork, but I know it's expensive. I just didn't know how expensive. Check out the Ebay auction below. The starting bid is $325,000 & it isn't one of my favorites by him or even one of his more popular series!

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANK-FRAZETTA-OR...

message 30: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments It always amazes me that people can spend huge amounts of money to personally own works of art. I guess money is relative, depending on how much you've got. There are so many other things I would do with $325,000. But I suppose art can be like any other kind of good investment... bound to increase in value.

message 31: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Well, I wouldn't trade the farm for a painting, but I really do like some artists & a real painting outstrips even a good print by so far! I've been lucky to know some good painters & see their originals.

A good print with close up shots, such as I have in my Frazetta books, are teasers. When I see the incredible efficiency of some of his brush strokes, I just really want to see the rest. Galleries usually let me get close enough to see everything, but museums rarely do. Also, that experience is limited & crowded. When you have a painting on your own wall, you can look at it in various lights, angles & moods.

My grandfather knew a painter name Phisiok or something like that. He survived by painting the backdrops for Broadway plays. He did some other paintings on the side. I have an oil of Brothwick Castle in Scotland that has fascinated me since I was a baby. It's now in my living room. I also have a couple of his water colors that used to hang in my father's & uncle's rooms. Really good stuff & it's especially neat to see the difference in his work in the two mediums.

message 32: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 28, 2009 09:27AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "Well, I wouldn't trade the farm for a painting, but I really do like some artists & a real painting outstrips even a good print by so far! I've been lucky to know some good painters & see their or..."

Jim, it sounds like you really do appreciate art. I once paid $175 for a framed original water color of a geranium. As I look back, I can't believe I did that, but I was working at the time and it was my "mad money".

I do enjoy looking at that painting. There's just something special about it. The narrow frame is red like the geranium and the red and green plant against a stark white background is arresting. As you said, it's interesting to look at the individual strokes to see how they make the picture special.

PS-Here's the painting:
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com (Click on thumbnail.) (Sorry about the flashbulb.)

message 33: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments I found the following page about fly masks for horses:
http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-kee...

FROM THE ABOVE PAGE: "Fly masks offer protection from annoying insects, so horses across the country are outfitted in them during summer’s winged onslaught."

I had no idea there was such a thing. Don't the horses mind not being able to see?

message 34: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Horses can see out of the fly masks just fine. Just like you can see out of a screen door, even though it might look solid from a distance. The netting isn't that tight.

My wife used to use them, but Cutter is too playful & the boys wind up taking them off each other now, so she doesn't bother any more. We have the barn set up with fans, fly sprayers & burlap to help them deal with flies.

Some people swear by them, others swear at them. Horse people generally have definite ideas. Sometimes they make sense, other times they don't. My mother feeds mostly grain & a little bit of hay, my wife feeds just the opposite. Both have happy, fit horses. Same result, different methods.

I appreciate some art, Joy. Generally realistic art. I'm no expert, but I know what I like & what speaks to me, like your geranium speaks to you. I like it too, BTW.

message 35: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 28, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "Horses can see out of the fly masks just fine. Just like you can see out of a screen door, even though it might look solid from a distance. The netting isn't that tight.
My wife used to use them,..."

I'm glad to hear that the horses can see through the fly masks. Thanks. Flies must be a terrible problem for them.
PS-I didn't even realize that "fly" in "Fly Mask" meant "fly, the insect". LOL

message 36: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments November is a really packed month for me & my family. It's pretty amazing, even leaving out Thanksgiving, which has lots of memories.

The first week of the month this year, 2 of my kids were born & my father died 40 years ago; Monday, Tuesday & Friday.

Next week, all 3 cousins on one side of the family were born; Sunday, Tuesday & Saturday. I guess my uncle wasn't depressed in February - or maybe he was, but had a good way of getting over it...

The following week, I had one cousin born & one grandfather die & then my other grandfather died the week after that.

All different years, of course, although one grandfather died the same year one child was born. Anyway, I just always look at the calendar for November & shake my head. So much has gone on.

message 37: by Joy H. (last edited Nov 02, 2009 03:35AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments I have a sister and a grandson born in November. Also a favorite uncle who is gone now. His birthday was the same as my grandson's.

Does your family send birthday cards? I still do but our sons don't. They call instead.

message 38: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Yes, we all do birthday cards. My wife is really good at picking them out. We go for funny ones.

message 39: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "Yes, we all do birthday cards. My wife is really good at picking them out. We go for funny ones."

I think that's great. I love receiving birthday cards, but I send them to a limited amount of people. It's so hard to keep up with everyone.

message 40: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments A friend mentioned trying to reach her goal of reading 100 books this year & it made me curious as to how many books I'd read. Thanks to GR, I was able to figure that out - 136. Some were re-reads & others were candy books, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out how accurate my guess was. I figure I normally read between 100 - 150 each year. That doesn't ever seem to make a dent in the available books, though.

message 41: by Dan, Jack of Shadows (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) | 55 comments Jim wrote: "A friend mentioned trying to reach her goal of reading 100 books this year & it made me curious as to how many books I'd read. Thanks to GR, I was able to figure that out - 136. Some were re-read..."

Tell me about. I seem to buy books almost at the same rate I read them.

message 42: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "A friend mentioned trying to reach her goal of reading 100 books this year & it made me curious as to how many books I'd read. Thanks to GR, I was able to figure that out - 136. Some were re-read..."

I read only 26 complete books in 2009.
I also partially read 11 books.
I also listened to 12 audio books.

I take notes while I read books. That slows me down quite a bit. However, collecting these notes is a satisfying hobby for me. The notes usually consist of quotations or phrases which appeal to me for one reason or another. Since I borrow the books from the library, there is no other way for me to save those wonderful words.

message 43: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Did you ever wonder why food on a commercial looks so good? Check out this video as a burger & then fries are prepped for a commercial.

http://www.flixxy.com/food-stylist.htm

message 44: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "Did you ever wonder why food on a commercial looks so good? Check out this video as a burger & then fries are prepped for a commercial.
http://www.flixxy.com/food-stylist.htm "

Yum, yum! :)

message 45: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Completely inedible.

message 46: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Jim wrote: "Completely inedible."

Especially the tooth picks! LOL

message 47: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments And pins! Don't forget them. Ugh!

message 48: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments On Friday, Facebook will start using YOUR PHOTOS IN ADS that will appear on the profile page of your contacts. It's legal and is mentioned in the fine print when you create your account.

If you want to prevent this from happening, do the following:
Settings, Privacy Settings, News Feed and Wall.
Then Facebook Ads tab, choose "No one" and save changes.

Copy this and use it in a status update, so all your friends will know.

message 49: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 80 comments Oh, boy. I'm glad I quit Facebook! Cheeky of them!

message 50: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments You expected less? I didn't.

« previous 1 3 4