Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
This topic is about The Long Earth
BotM Discussion - SCI-FI > The Long Earth/Overall Discussion/***SPOILERS***

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
Overall discussion thread for The Long Earth.

I'm reading along but unfortunately not getting enough time! Not sure I'll finish before the end of the month so I thought I'd just go ahead and start the thread anyway, I'm sure quite a few of us have already read this, so feel free to chip in!

I'm really enjoying this, so far anyway!

Margo I've finished. I gave it 3.5 stars. It was a great concept but I don't think they quite pulled it off. I think it's a shame Sir Terry didn't have had more input but I don't know how advanced his illness was at that stage. I saw some of his touches here and there and I enjoyed them.

Efrat | 90 comments It was hard to read because I didn't care for any of the charecters, and nothing realy happened

message 4: by Lel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1802 comments I found it kind of boring.

I liked the concept, but found it lack suspense and danger. I also didn't really care for any of the characters Efrat. Lobsang actually really annoyed me.

The one thing that leaves me curious about the next book is what happened to the nuns? are they alive?

Didn't get much of Sir Terry's humour coming through which upset me.

Margo Nuns probably died of boredom lol

Sandy | 1644 comments I too agreed that I expected a bit more humor. I came through in pieces and parts occasionally but not enough to make the story memorable. Liked the concept as well and also would have liked to hear about the nuns who obviously escaped earth. I would have to give this a 3 if that.

Milou | 486 comments It has been quite a while since I read this... and I gave it 2 stars. What I mainly remember from it is that it was really boring and I didn’t like the characters.

One scene I think I remember which particularly annoyed me was when the guy wants to go down but the other one doesn’t cause it might be dangerous there. Cause oh no, something might Finally Happen.

My review:
https://simplyabookdrunkardblog.wordp...

message 8: by Lel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1802 comments Margo wrote: "Nuns probably died of boredom lol"

Hehehehe this made me chuckle

Kaitlin I read this before I had really read anything else by Terry Pratchett, so I wasn't expecting a ton of humor, and I remember loving this book, and desperately trying to get my hands on the second and third books!

I thought it was a really interesting concept, and I'm finding that I'm much more willing to forgive other sins in a book if it makes me think about things and does something unique or inventive.

Efrat | 90 comments Yes, Kaitling, the physics is original and interesting. But you have to have a good story!!

Cathie (catitude) | 9 comments I read this a few years back and really enjoyed it. I keep meaning to pick up the next one in the series and then, well, more good books come out and I get distracted.

Very seldom do I want to continue on in a series. I usually like stand alone self contained novels. Terry Prachett's Long Earth still has my interest years later and I still recommend it to others.

I loved the history, background that brought this slip through the universe world about and I loved all the different worlds and what they reflected.

This post is really making me wonder why I haven't continued on in this series.??!

Hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

Steve | 158 comments Just finished this yesterday!

I thought the concept was fascinating, and it was a pretty good read, but it seemed to be lacking some spark. I'm not sure things "happening" in a conventional sense would have helped it, but maybe if there was more focus on character to make up for external conflict the book would have worked better for me.