YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Dear Martin (Dear Martin, #1)
This topic is about Dear Martin
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Dear Martin by Nic Stone - Restarting July 28th 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Riddhi Mazumder (goodreadscomriddhi_desiderium) | 670 comments Raw, captivating, and undeniably real, Nic Stone joins industry giants Jason Reynolds and Walter Dean Myers as she boldly tackles American race relations in this stunning debut.

Justyce McAllister is top of his class and set for the Ivy League—but none of that matters to the police officer who just put him in handcuffs. And despite leaving his rough neighborhood behind, he can't escape the scorn of his former peers or the ridicule of his new classmates. Justyce looks to the teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for answers. But do they hold up anymore? He starts a journal to Dr. King to find out.

Then comes the day Justyce goes driving with his best friend, Manny, windows rolled down, music turned up—way up, sparking the fury of a white off-duty cop beside them. Words fly. Shots are fired. Justyce and Manny are caught in the crosshairs. In the media fallout, it's Justyce who is under attack.

Riddhi Mazumder (goodreadscomriddhi_desiderium) | 670 comments Starting this now.

Karen Barber | 10597 comments Opening chapter highlights so well the issues this is going to explore. It makes me both sad and angry.

Karen Barber | 10597 comments Up to ch8. Can’t put this down. Style is really easy to read. Thoughtful approach and it definitely will get people talking.

Karen Barber | 10597 comments Up to ch11. Horrible sense of things building to a head. Justyce is being labelled by his peers, but the presentation of him trying to make sense of his experiences and feelings is hard to read.

Karen Barber | 10597 comments Up to ch15. Didn’t see that coming. Needless, senseless violence. Not sure you’ll be able to convince me this is okay.

Karen Barber | 10597 comments Up to ch22. This is making me both angry and sad, but I’m liking the way secondary characters are being used to explore ideas about race.

Karen Barber | 10597 comments Finished. Review on home page. Thought-provoking and definitely one to get people talking. Not quite as engaging as The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas but definitely one to recommend.

Riddhi Mazumder (goodreadscomriddhi_desiderium) | 670 comments 25% done.
(view spoiler)

message 10: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments I can not stand the format of this book, like at all! Grrrrrrrr.

message 11: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments This book makes me want to scream, every chapter so far is just making me more and more upset! How do people think this way!

message 12: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments Chapter 1-11 (view spoiler)

message 13: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments WHAT THE FUDGE!!!!!! You can't be serious! Chapters 12-14 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments I want to cry.

message 15: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments Chapter 15-18 (view spoiler)

Riddhi Mazumder (goodreadscomriddhi_desiderium) | 670 comments 50% done.
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments Chapter 19 -fin (view spoiler)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Karen wrote: "Opening chapter highlights so well the issues this is going to explore. It makes me both sad and angry."

I totally agree, it got my attention quite fast, and it shows how well it tackles all these topics.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

If I hadn't set chapters, I might have finished this already, but I like taking it slow because even though it's so easy to read, I am appreciating it way ore.

Up to chapter 8:
(view spoiler)

Riddhi Mazumder (goodreadscomriddhi_desiderium) | 670 comments 75%
(view spoiler)

Riddhi Mazumder (goodreadscomriddhi_desiderium) | 670 comments @Anna, I totally agree with you.
I like the professor's approach.

Riddhi Mazumder (goodreadscomriddhi_desiderium) | 670 comments 100%
(view spoiler)

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 05, 2018 02:07AM) (new)

Chapter 16: (view spoiler)

Chapter 18: (view spoiler)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Rae wrote: "Chapter 15-18 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Rae wrote: "WHAT THE FUDGE!!!!!! You can't be serious! Chapters 12-14 [spoilers removed]"

Oh, same! (view spoiler)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

The ending
(view spoiler)

roselovestoread (rosemariekoh) Aghhh Jared is so annoying T.T

roselovestoread (rosemariekoh) ch 7 : bless SJ for reasoning about black and whites to Jared. Jared is such a douche..

roselovestoread (rosemariekoh) (view spoiler)

roselovestoread (rosemariekoh) I like the ending but the deaths )':

message 31: by Lane (last edited Aug 25, 2018 09:51AM) (new) - added it

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Chapter 5 (view spoiler)
End of Part One (view spoiler)
Chapter 20 (view spoiler)
Finished (view spoiler)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22776 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting February 5th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

guiana! (gvianai) | 307 comments will be starting tonight! :)

message 34: by Cate (new) - added it

Cate (catebiblio) | 294 comments Sorry, very busy yesterday so only getting to this now!! Excited to start. This book has been on my TBR since before it came out!

guiana! (gvianai) | 307 comments that's totally alright! I only got a few pages in last night. my schedule filled up so I'm most probably going to get through this slowly.

message 36: by Cate (new) - added it

Cate (catebiblio) | 294 comments Slow is great! I just got very unexpectedly busy in work and have not had a chance to ever pick up a book in the past few days!

guiana! (gvianai) | 307 comments packed here too. school has been hounding me the last couple days and the next few as well. suddenly, it seems like people have been asking for tutoring left and right just when I wanted to get books finished! I'm hoping to get at least a tidbit of progress done this weekend. :D

guiana! (gvianai) | 307 comments chapter 3

(view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 307 comments chapter 8

(view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 307 comments chapter 14

(view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 307 comments chapter 18

(view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 307 comments chapter 22

(view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 307 comments finished!

(view spoiler)

Evelyn | 1880 comments ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date changed. Restarting July 28th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

Aaron (aa3142) | 1172 comments Hi. Please could I join this. Been meaning to read this for a while.

message 46: by Evelyn (last edited Jul 29, 2020 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Evelyn | 1880 comments Aaron wrote: "Hi. Please could I join this. Been meaning to read this for a while."
Of course! Sorry for the late reply, didn't check back here since last month. I'm a lil behind on this BR right now, but I'm planning to start tomorrow or the 31st :D

Aaron (aa3142) | 1172 comments Evelyn wrote: "Aaron wrote: "Hi. Please could I join this. Been meaning to read this for a while."
Of course! Sorry for the late reply, didn't check back here since last month. I'm a lil behind on this BR right n..."

Cool. I am just finishing another book. It’s taken longer than expected. I will probably start on the 31st

Evelyn | 1880 comments Chapter 6
(view spoiler)

Aaron (aa3142) | 1172 comments Evelyn wrote: "Chapter 6
Wait, do 16+ year olds like Jared actually exist? tHerEs nO sUCh tHiNG aS rAciSM, eVEryoNE iS EQuaL.
As much as I wish it were true, it is sadly far from reality and I'm glad this book i..."

(view spoiler)

Aaron (aa3142) | 1172 comments Chapter 7
(view spoiler)

« previous 1