Play Book Tag discussion

Whisper of the Moon Moth
This topic is about Whisper of the Moon Moth
Footnotes 2017-2018 > Funny Incident

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments True Story and No Kidding. Went to the beach today, also getting to view for the first time an annual Sandcastle Festival and Competition. Great Day. Came home to relax and de-sand before an evening out. Took a long bath, while kids are away at Camp. Fell asleep in the tub, thereby drenching my library book. The one I was %70 through. Borrowed a hairdryer and tried to help the poor book before dinner reservation. Seriously, my hubby was at it, trying to save the poor drenched thing. Came home after the birthday dinner, and still working on drying the book with a hair dryer - page by page. Then maybe I can finish and review it. Anyone else ever try to drown a book? Any other suggestions other than a hairdryer carefully page by page?

message 2: by Booknblues (last edited Jul 21, 2018 08:18PM) (new)

Booknblues | 5767 comments At work, remember I'm a preschool teacher, at naptime the kids sleep on raised cots . To help them fall asleep they get books and then slide them under cots...well you know what happens and the books are ruined but that is because of the whole body fluids thing.

I've never fallen asleep in the bath.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments That's funny. I could never fall asleep in the bath. But I have worried many times about dropping a library book while sitting in the tub!

message 4: by annapi (last edited Jul 21, 2018 10:59PM) (new)

annapi | 4973 comments Serendipitously, this was in my email today from Book Riot: How to Salvage Water Damaged Books
https://laughingsquid.com/how-to-salv...

I don't do baths, only showers, so I've never had this happen to me and there's no danger of it happening in the future either :)

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments I watched the entire thing! The book is looking better than I thought, but not as good as I hoped. It’s readable, but I might have to pay for it. Maybe they don’t notice? Lol!

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7476 comments I have drenched a few in spilled coffee-red wine once. Not sure how good your library inspects the returns(mine is like a TSA pass through, lol) Good luck but it sounds like you may own it. I do know a trick once dry-bind it in rubber bands and this will help with straightening out any curled ends.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7476 comments annapi wrote: "Serendipitously, this was in my email today from Book Riot: How to Salvage Water Damaged Books
https://laughingsquid.com/how-to-salv......"

Thanks for sharing, I learned a few things! My library will be happy!

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5801 comments I feel sorry for you ... and the book. But I'm laughing at the same time. Does that make me a bad person?

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments I didn’t think of the rubber bands and I probably don’t have any. But I finished and reviewed the book and it’s mostly dry. I went after it again with the hairdryer and then did the second half version of what was in Anna’s video. I shoved it between a ton of other heavy books that I just used for my course that I just taught. The mostly dry book is now hopefully getting flattened and pressed a little bit more. It may not be that bad when I turn it back into the library. And yes BC, it was totally meant to make you laugh. Can you imagine me with a hairdryer trying to sort these pages out? Fascinating that and I would receive a video on the exact same day about what to do with these sorts of situations which could probably happened to almost no one but me.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "I feel sorry for you ... and the book. But I'm laughing at the same time. Does that make me a bad person?"

I'm with you. What a terrible friend I am. But I am laughing my head off!! I've never drowned a book but have spilled plenty of coffee and hot tea on books in the past.

message 11: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments OK, the latest is that my next book also from the library, A Fine Balance, it looks like it’s in even worse condition than Moon Moths. And nothing has happened to that one. So I have no doubt they’ll take it back at the library. It’s not like they knew it was a more pristine condition before it took a swim. It’s just funny that my next book looks like it’s been through a war and is going to fall apart if I blow in it. Brought it to Starbucks hours ago to give it a little start, and I’ve been here for hours working on my last class and grading final papers and presentations. I hope it survives the two minute drive home.

message 12: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments When we went on vacation this month, my hubby was helping me bring in packages from the car. He took my water and laid it on top of my bag of books. The cover was not latched tightly so you can imagine! Three books got drenched and it wasn't discovered until the next day when I picked up the bag so they were pretty much soaked through. One was a library book and a from the "new" shelves. Since I hadn't started it yet, I put it in the freezer. On my own books, they were paperback art books so I just tried to get them to dry. None of them came out very good.

I am a retired library director and I know how devastating it can be to lose a high-demand book. If I'd paid for the book, the money usually goes to the city/town general fund and the library has to use its limited budget to buy a second copy instead of a new title! So I went to Amazon and B&N to find a copy in Large Print and ordered it. When it came in, I went to the library with the damaged book and the new book. They stripped the labels etc and gave me the damaged book at my request, I can still read but I know it's half life has been greatly shortened!

message 13: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7002 comments I feel for you. Back when I did baths, I dropped a few partly in the tub (never all the way in). However, my parents spoiled us by getting LONG tubs and so I can't stand bathing in a normal sized tub, which is what we have and I only shower.

I am not sure if you can make it like new, but I hope you are able to finish it!

message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments So here I am trying to return the Previously drenched book to the library. And I mean it’s looking pretty good. Like it’s a little damp, but certainly compared to the one I’m reading now which looks like it’s been through a war zone, Like I can’t even read the back of it because it’s that destroyed, it’s looking OK. But as I’m trying to head to the library, violent storms in the Northeast are putting me and my books in threat so violently that it’s as if no one ever Carefully took a hair dryer to it’s gentle pages for a good couple of hours. I’m going to try to park illegally close to the library and race the hell in there. This rain might be worse than my bath. I’ll let you guys know if the jig is up. Stay tuned to the tale of the drowned book.... wish me luck!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "So here I am trying to return the Previously drenched book to the library. And I mean it’s looking pretty good. Like it’s a little damp, but certainly compared to the one I’m reading now which look..."

Ha!! This made my morning! Stay dry and keep that damp book dry!

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7476 comments Amy wrote: "So here I am trying to return the Previously drenched book to the library. And I mean it’s looking pretty good. Like it’s a little damp, but certainly compared to the one I’m reading now which look..."

Made me laugh...stay dry darling

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Book Murderer!

message 18: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments Hey, I took quite good care of that darling! When I got to the pool later, I saw their entire carousel of books had been drenched, and they looked far worse than mine. Believe me, no one is taking care of that family.

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5801 comments Amy wrote: "Hey, I took quite good care of that darling! When I got to the pool later, I saw their entire carousel of books had been drenched, and they looked far worse than mine. Believe me, no one is taking ..."

Wait .... your pool has a carousel of books? Oh the imagines running through my head .....

message 20: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments Books for kids, adults - all kinds of treasures. I dropped of Sense of an Ending and Wild Swans and they were gone instantly! I love that!

message 21: by Joi (last edited Jul 25, 2018 04:00PM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Lol!!!
I've never done this- but thought this was a funny and clever solution:

message 22: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7002 comments Joi wrote: "Lol!!!
"

I like it, but it almost looks like that book is warped in the picture.

message 23: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments OK friends. I’m so glad you guys revived this thread because I need to tell you that I just got a notice from the library. Like the book might’ve been damp, but it was looking pretty darn good. Like I have checked out and returned things that clearly don’t stand up if you breathe on them. And this one I thought was pretty darn diligently cared for. But they want to see me in the library. To discuss how I’m going to recompense them for the obvious water damage. So there we go. They have checked out the book for an extra week to give me time to manage my delinquency- lol! No good deeds go on punished. Thank God it was a deliciously good bath.

message 24: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2323 comments So they can slap you over the wrist with a wet library ticket? 😉😂

If you need character references, let us know!

message 25: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8327 comments Joi wrote: "Lol!!!
"

LOL! Oh, that's hilarious!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

They want to see you at the library....sounds like you are going to the principals office!! Good luck.

message 27: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments I’m like the library is best and worst consumer. I think they like me because I walk around and engage people in various discussions about books. I use them all the time, and I even participate in the community puzzles. On the other hand they have this new updated technological system, and ever since the new system came in, I have been complaining vociferously. But this water damage book is on the heels of my discussion with them about the ninth nugget. A book I was reading with the curlyhaired monster before it disappeared in the house. I’ve looked everywhere for the darn thing. I’m gonna have to pay for that one too! So when I go in there to pick up my espionage books, I’m going to need to have my discussion with them about my library donation. And I might just give them a donation anyway, because I think they are a really good place. By the way, the reason the ex-pats had gotten on my to read list in the first place, is because someone at the library recommended it to me years ago. She told me I had to read it. And that’s how it landed on the TBR.

message 28: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments Amy, it made me laugh to hear you say they might not notice... it's pretty obvious when a book has been drenched lol. I'm just glad you did you best to dry it out. I've been handed things that were dripping wet and/or sticky, which aside from damages, is just gross! Hopefully they go easy on you!

message 29: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments Seriously, the book looked pretty damn good to me! And I’m serious at the one I’m reading now you can’t even read the back of the cover, because it looks like it’s been through a war zone. But here I am hanging out at the pool and I noticed that were his own book is also a damp from the recent rains on the chairs and from the kids splashing. At least the book is pretty good. Didn’t realize he worked in a library, my dear Atticus finch friend. I hope they’re all as nice as you guys when I get there. Will report back from the meeting. Probably will just pay up and then some to donate, because as you know we all love the library.

message 30: by Karin (last edited Jul 26, 2018 05:34PM) (new)

Karin | 7002 comments Our library often notes when a book has certain damage when you check it out to prove you didn't do it. They do this even with interlibrary loan books.

At least you didn't have an 18 month old pee on it. I paid for 2 or 3 books one day when my eldest got away from me, stood over some book she had on the floor in the laundry room (I no longer remember why it was there as she is now 23) and wasn't potty trained and that was it. I just threw them out and bit the bullet.

But I have had to pay for missing books. A couple of times I know for a fact I returned them but they way the return thing is someone could have swiped it, so now I usually give them directly to the librarians if they are willing (most of the time they are).

Our library will let us replace the book, and if it's a newer book it's often cheaper to do that than to pay for it.

We get so many holds we rate a bag in the holds room. Only one patron gets a box, not us, and naturally I have no idea who that is.

message 31: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments Offering the now dry Whisper of the Moon Moths, Which I now own, as a free gift to the first United States person who says they would like me to mail them a copy. After the forlorn tub incident of which we are now well-versed, this is the gift that I bequeath to anyone who wants it. My lovingly hairdryer blown pages will be yours to enjoy. First one to respond we will figure out the details. Free book.

message 32: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments How nice Amy.