We Read Stuff discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books of the Month Nominations > September 2018 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Jul 21, 2018 05:54PM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Time to get in your nominations for September. We will be reading classics. Nominate the classic you would most like to read and discuss with the group.

A few reminders about nomination rules:

- Each member may nominate one book AND may second one book that has already been nominated.

-If you want to only nominate or only second a book without nominating anything that is fine.

- If we get more than 10 nominations then the 10 books with the most seconds will go to the poll.

- Graphic novels, manga, and comics are allowed to be nominated

- There are no minimum page counts for a book to be nominated.

- Books must be first in a series or a stand alone unless the group has already read the book in the series that came before the one being nominated.

- Nominations will close the afternoon of August 15th

*If you have any other questions about nominations or how they work please see this post

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) Classics are probably the genre I struggle with the most. I guess the question is, how do you define a classic? I mean there are books that were written 10 years ago that meet the requirements of the definition provided.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) I think I will nominate something I've never read before but have been meaning to read for quite a while.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain.

message 6: by Lattisha (new)

Lattisha Fox (indigoinsane) | 31 comments I would like to nominate Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Lattisha wrote: "I would like to nominate Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie."

Are the books in the Hercule Poirot considered stand alones? I aske because books need to be either stand alone or first in a series to be nominated and since I havent read any from that series I wasn't sure if they were or not and I think I had heard they were?

message 8: by Lattisha (new)

Lattisha Fox (indigoinsane) | 31 comments Nikki (Nyx) wrote: "Lattisha wrote: "I would like to nominate Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie."

Are the books in the Hercule Poirot considered stand alones? I aske because books need to be either stan..."

It was the first Hercule Poirot novel I read and I followed it just fine. There's s few references to how famous and awesome he is, but from what I gather they are meant to be stand alone.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Lattisha wrote: "Nikki (Nyx) wrote: "Lattisha wrote: "I would like to nominate Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie."

Are the books in the Hercule Poirot considered stand alones? I aske because books ne..."

Awesome I'll get it added to the nominations list :)

message 10: by Leandra (new)

Leandra I'll nominate Tale of Two Cities

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Got all of them to this point updated in the nomination list :)

message 12: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 64 comments I'd like to nominate Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon, the first book of his legendary trilogy "A Scot's Quair".
He might be a bit of a "forgotten classic" anywhere but in Scotland. But he definitely doesn't deserve that fate. ;-)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Auntie Terror wrote: "I'd like to nominate Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon, the first book of his legendary trilogy "A Scot's Quair".
He might be a bit of a "forgotten classic" anywhere but in Scotland. But he defi..."

sounds interesting

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) I'm going to nominate Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, because I read Cat's Cradle last year and I've been meaning to get around to it, too.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Nominations are updated to this point. Nominations will close tomorrow afternoon so if you have something you want to nominate be sure to get it in

message 16: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (valea22) | 64 comments I will nominate Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
I second the secret garden. I’ve read it already but is a beautiful classic and it’ll be good for the group to read it.

message 17: by Leandra (new)

Leandra I'll second slaughterhouse 5

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Valeria wrote: "I will nominate Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
I second the secret garden. I’ve read it already but is a beautiful classic and it’ll be good for the group to read it."

I'll second Fahrenheit 451 I read it in high school and it's really stuck with me over the years. I agree with you about the secret garden. It's one of the few books I've reread (I don't often reread books)

message 19: by Lattisha (new)

Lattisha Fox (indigoinsane) | 31 comments I'll second Secret Garden! I loved it and Black Beauty so much when I was little, I would love to re read it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.