We Read Stuff discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books of the Month Nominations > September 2018 Graphic Novels, Comics, & Manga Nominations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Time to nominate our second sequential art books! Nominations need to relate in some way to the genre of the month Classics.

A few reminders about nomination rules:

- Each member may make one nomination AND one second for a book that has already been nominated.

-If you want to only nominate or only second a book without nominating anything that is fine.

- If we get more than 10 nominations then the 10 books with the most seconds will go to the poll.

- For this category, nominees must be a graphic novel or manga or comics

- There are no minimum page counts

-Needs to be first in a series or a stand alone unless the group has already read the volume/issue in the series that came before the one being nominated.

- Nominations will close the afternoon of August 15th

message 2: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Aug 11, 2018 11:17PM) (new)

message 4: by Lattisha (last edited Jul 21, 2018 10:31PM) (new)

Lattisha Fox (indigoinsane) | 31 comments Hm, the term classics for manga is interesting! I would like to nominate Black Jack, Vol. 1 by Osmau Tezuka, He is considered the "father of manga" and wrote classic series like Astro Boy.

message 5: by S Roberta (new)

S Roberta (srk4cats) | 13 comments What is 'manga'?

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) S Roberta wrote: "What is 'manga'?"

Japanese or Japanese-influenced comics and graphic novels. Manhwa
would be the korean equivalent/version. Nominations for this can be either Manga/Manhwa or Comics, or Graphic Novels. We just happen to have two manga nominations so far :)

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) This is kind of difficult. A lot of the manga I love would be almost impossible to get so no point nominating that. I think Urusei Yatsura by Takahashi Rumiko is pretty funny, but looking at Amazon the price is $3000! WTF? Who would pay that. Seriously. If any of you would pay that I'm selling!

Maybe I'll nominate something that's a little more reasonable and is available in kindle and paperback.

Wonder Woman: The Golden Age Omnibus, Volume 1

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Nominations updated to this point :)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Desiree wrote: "A Silent Voice
A Silent Voice, Volume 1 (A Silent Voice, #1) by Yoshitoki Oima"

Nominations for this month have to realte in some way to the theme classics. Can you clarify how this one fits the theme?

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Desiree wrote: "Check out Sherlock: A Study in Pink by Steven Moffat
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

No worries, and that works for me :)

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) I'd like to nominate The Complete Persepolis, because it was one of the classic graphic novels that first made them more and more popular in the past 15 or so years.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Nice selection so far, nominations will be closing tomorrow afternoon and the poll will go up shortly after :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.