The Backlot Gay Book Forum discussion

The Biggest Scoop
This topic is about The Biggest Scoop
Young Adult Discussions > The Biggest Scoop, by Gillian St. Kevern

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ulysses Dietz | 1608 comments The Biggest Scoop
By Gillian St. Kevern
Published by the author, 2015 (Kindle 2017)
Five stars

“Mean Girls was a comedy, Milo, not a documentary.”

Milo Markopoulos has a problem. Actually, he has a lot of problems, because he’s in high school. But the current front-burner problem is Taylor, the new boy with the far-too kissable lips. Milo promptly alienates the handsome Taylor by coming on too strong; but ultimately Milo’s passion for journalism and the struggling Bernhardt School student paper steps in. Milo hatches a plot to make Taylor’s first month in a new school a successful one. Milo knows what it’s like to be unpopular, and he doesn’t want Taylor to feel that way.

I love a good YA book with a gay teen, but I confess I get pickier and pickier. A friend urged me to get this and I did. How grateful I am. Why a New Zealander would choose to set a book in Tarrytown, New York, I can’t quite say, but she does a fine job of it. Milo is a great kid. Smart, a little off-beat, comfortable in his own unpopular skin. His friends are perhaps emblematic of all high school dramas: Candice, his fierce school paper editor; Lily, the aloof goth girl; Fern the pretty overachiever; Declan the popular gay guy; Logan, the football jock; Boomer, the basketball star and Milo’s ex.

Yes, Milo’s ex. You see, one of Milo’s problems is NOT that he’s gay. He’s not alone. His school embraces diversity and brooks no bullying. So, Milo and his friends are simply stuck with the rest of the drama of being a teenager in high school. Of course, this doesn’t keep some of the jocks from being jerks.

The school’s teachers and administrators are neither absent nor clueless, and both Milo’s widowed mother and Taylor’s parents play important roles in the story. St. Kevern creates a well-rounded world in which being a gay teen is just part of the scenery. Sure, it’s important to Milo, but it’s not a hurdle to overcome or a burden to bear. What a refreshing change on the gay YA trope. St. Kevern keeps things moving, with a wry sense of humor and a steady hand when building a mildly hysterical teen-driven plot.

This would make a great movie. If only the real world was as cool as Milo and Taylor’s

Aussie54 | 322 comments Ulysses wrote: "The Biggest Scoop
By Gillian St. Kevern
Published by the author, 2015 (Kindle 2017)
Five stars

“Mean Girls was a comedy, Milo, not a documentary.”

Milo Markopoulos has a problem. Actually, he has..."

I really liked it too. Milo was an engaging story teller. The descriptions of high school life pulled me right into the world of Bernhardt High. I liked reading about the feisty young woman who ran for class president, the clever young woman who was the editor of the school newspaper, and the young lady who was Milo’s fellow lunch companion, a talented photographer. I also liked Taylor, who blew a breath of fresh air through the school. The story was a pleasure to read, and I was disappointed when it ended.