Play Book Tag discussion

This topic is about 1984
July 2018: Dystopian > 1984 by George Orwell - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 1035 comments One of the earliest dystopian novels - and a wonderful classic.

The main character finds himself in an authoritarian society where individualism is ruthlessly stamped out.

It's clearly social commentary and a clear look at how power corrupts. Even if it's presented as "for the good of all" - maybe especially when power is cloaked that way.

A very good story in and of itself and worth a read or re-read.

Booknblues | 5505 comments I have always loved this book. Surprising now, what has turned out to be true.

message 3: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Lin | 49 comments I’ve read part of the book during high school and I like it really much. It seems 1984 is kind of an expanded version of Animal Farm, lots of ideas are connected between the two books.

message 4: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2214 comments This is practically the training manual (I’m a privacy lawyer, lol). Remarkable and prophetic book. Though Kafka’s The Trial is even more of a privacy fable for our times, I think...

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments A fascinating aspect to me is how 1984 and Brave New World are opposite views of how the masses will be controlled and both have been prophetic.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments A fascinating aspect to me is how 1984 and Brave New World are opposite views of how the masses will be controlled and both have been prophetic.