What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 1960's-1970's YA mystery short story--people search a castle for a missing keep or room--man who finds the room is eventually murdered by someone who wants to keep the room a secret

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hughes | 7 comments Possibly from one of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents Anthologies. I recall (or believe I recall) a line at the end "there was no Norman keep." People all are searching this castle for a missing keep or a room in a keep but only one person finds it. When he does, another character goes with him and murders him there and "hides" the secret entrance to the room again. It has to do with an inheritance, I think. I've never forgotten these plot details and loved the story as a teen.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Laurie ~~
You can bump this thread every month or so. That puts it back at the beginning of the folder where people will see it.
Good luck!

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hughes | 7 comments Laurie wrote: "Possibly from one of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents Anthologies. I recall (or believe I recall) a line at the end "there was no Norman keep." People all are searching this castle for a missing keep ..."

Bump

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hughes | 7 comments BUMP

Possibly from one of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents Anthologies. I recall (or believe I recall) a line at the end "there was no Norman keep." People all are searching this castle for a missing keep or a room in a keep but only one person finds it. When he does, another character goes with him and murders him there and "hides" the secret entrance to the room again. It has to do with an inheritance, I think. I've never forgotten these plot details and loved the story as a teen.

"Possibly from one of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents Anthologies. I recall (or believe I recall) a line at the end "there was no Norman keep." People all are searching this castle for a missing keep ..."

message 5: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Nov 18, 2018 08:37AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1856 comments Perhaps something by Roald Dahl? I can't think of a particular story by him that fits the description, but I haven't read everything by him.

- Several Alfred Hitchcock Presents episodes were based on Roald Dahl stories (Lamb to the Slaughter and Man from the South being some of the more memorable ones).
- Roald Dahl grew up in Cardiff.
- Cardiff Castle has a Norman Keep.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hughes | 7 comments SamSpayedPI wrote: "Perhaps something by Roald Dahl? I can't think of a particular story by him that fits the description, but I haven't read everything by him.

- Several Alfred Hitchcock Presents episodes were base..."

Thanks for this! I'll follow up on it.

message 7: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hughes | 7 comments SamSpayedPI wrote: "Perhaps something by Roald Dahl? I can't think of a particular story by him that fits the description, but I haven't read everything by him.

- Several Alfred Hitchcock Presents episodes were base..."

I checked out all the roald dahl story plots I could and can't see that any of them quite fits. Still, I know that suggestion is heading in the right direction.

message 8: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hughes | 7 comments Laurie wrote: "Possibly from one of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents Anthologies. I recall (or believe I recall) a line at the end "there was no Norman keep." People all are searching this castle for a missing keep ..."

BUMP

message 9: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hughes | 7 comments Bump--add that I've been looking through the Robert Arthur short stories. No luck so far, but this is definitely the right type of story.