Leaders' Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Suggestions > Book Suggestions - Sep 2018 - Communication

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 69 comments Mod
Each month, we will read a book centered around a topic that can help us better leaders. The planning of themes can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

For Sep 2018, our topic is Communication. Please suggest Communication-related books that you would like to read.

message 2: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 69 comments Mod
Our member, Milkiways, has proposed the following Communications books on the Theme Thread:

1. Good Charts,
2. HBR's 10 Must Reads on Communication
3. The art of public speaking
4. Pyramid Principle

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin Are there any good books on listening that could be included in this list? That's part of communication, but most of the ones I have read aren't regarding leadership.

message 4: by Milkiways (new)

Milkiways Is it about listening critically or listening to improve english language?

message 5: by Milkiways (new)

Milkiways This is a great list. How about we include Sylvia Ann Hewlett's books like Executive Presence.

In my opinion, the way of speaking is important characteristic of a leader. Sylvia is a great example in this area.

Karin, since you have read this genre can you suggest some good titles?

message 6: by Karin (last edited Jul 26, 2018 06:17PM) (new)

Karin These are ones I'd like to read (the ones I've read have to do with parenting or child development or other things that don't apply), so I haven't yet read them. My main suggestion is the first one, but I'm including two others.

The Lost Art of Listening: How Learning to Listen Can Improve Relationships (this one has the highest rating on GR of these 3)

Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All

Active Listening 101: How to Turn Down Your Volume to Turn Up Your Communication Skills

All of these are also mentioned on at least one management site, too.

message 7: by Corey (new)

Corey | 16 comments Theres a great TED talk on how to have a conversation (or how listen - I'm unsure of the exact title).
I'd say that's worth looking into for anyone here. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.