Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Special Event OREGON TRAIL WAGON TRAIN TRIP COME AND JOIN US! WE ARE ON OUR WAY!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 356 (356 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Dorothy (last edited Aug 01, 2018 08:08AM) (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments ANNOUNCING the first ever LIH Goodreads Oregon Trail Trip!

The year is 1859. The wagon train will be comprised of WOMEN (and their children if any) who are going west to join their husband, betrothed or father who have gone on before them. No man will accept the position of guide and wagon master. We ladies are on our own. Are you up for the challenge?

August 6th – 10th. JOINING. This first week you must bring your teams and wagon, gear and supplies to Independence Missouri to be approved. (A list sufficient to meet your needs for the entire trip that you must meet per person will be posted.) You will register by providing the guide with written assurance of your compliance on your arrival. And by giving your reason for wanting to join the wagon train. Be assured, we will not turn you away because no man is traveling with you as, I'm sure, has happened to many of you who have tried to join other wagon trains. It happened to me, many times.

If you cannot harness or handle and drive your teams, or load and shoot a rifle or pistol with reasonable accuracy, you must learn during this first week. There will be cowboys on hand to teach you what you need to know. You can sign up to join their classes. Also, as I will have to serve as advance scout, we will need four volunteer wagon masters to lead the train, each for one day. (Lyn will serve as wagon master for one of the days.) On Friday the volunteer wagon masters will be assigned their days, wagons will be assigned their positions in the train, and in the evening there will be a farewell hoe down dance with local cowboys.

August 13th – 17th. The journey begins. We leave at dawn on Monday morning. Be prepared, ladies! Who knows what may happen…

message 2: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments ATTENTION, JENNY! As you have so far to travel it will be impossible for you to meet the requirements for equipment, etc. Therefore, I was wondering (as I have to scout ahead of the wagons) if you would be willing to drive my wagon. If you are agreeable, I will provide all of your necessities but your personal clothing, etc.

Let me know if this is acceptable to you.

message 3: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments Dorothy This is acceptable to me. will have a few personal items also.

message 4: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Yea! I'm glad this will work for you, Jenny. As adventurous as you are, I felt sure you would want to come along on the wagon train. And, I will appreciate your help with the wagon! : -)

message 5: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments I will get on with my whip cracking skills as for sharpshooting well that may take more time.

message 6: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments I'll be practicing as well. I'm going to get one of the new Colt breech-loading rifles and a Colt pistol. I'm told they are much easier and faster to load than the older weapons.

As for a whip cracking...no need. My mules are very well behaved and respond well to kindness. I tend to spoil my animals. :-)

I'm looking forward to this trip. It's going to be interesting to hear the various, imaginative reasons the ladies come up with for wanting to join the wagon train and travel west. Have you thought of your reason yet? Shhh...don't tell me now. Save it for when you register. :-)

message 7: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments It sounds like quite an adventure, Jenny, I am going to having practice shooting as well. Dorothy , this sounds exciting but I hope it is a little cooler by then,

message 8: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Hi Melinda. I think it's safe to say the trip will be exciting! I can't promise it will be cooler. I think it may be hotter for me. August is hot almost everywhere but Missouri is a lot farther south than New York. It's raining here tonight so our weather has cooled down...for the time being.

message 9: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Dorothy wrote: "Hi Melinda. I think it's safe to say the trip will be exciting! I can't promise it will be cooler. I think it may be hotter for me. August is hot almost everywhere but Missouri is a lot farther sou..."
Dorothy,
Just hoping for low 90's as it has been so heat that we have heat advisory issued for 3 days and probably for Monday as well.

message 10: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Thanks to Sam I was finally able to insert the picture I wanted to include in the announcement. If it gets too hot, we'll just take a dip in that river and press on with our clothes soaking wet. :-)

message 11: by Sam (last edited Jul 21, 2018 11:02PM) (new)

Sam B | 166 comments I'll be preparing for this long journey!
I'm looking forward to meeting you all in August and getting to know better as we travel together :)

P.S, You're welcome, Dorothy!

message 12: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments Melinda we need to go in the warmer months cos we need to beat the snow. I love the idea of driving the team as walking will be tiring.

message 13: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Do any of you ladies know how to drive a four or six mule team hauling a wagon? If not, don't despair, there will be cowboys to teach you. You're welcome, LOL.

message 14: by Dorothy (last edited Aug 03, 2018 10:03AM) (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments WAGON TRAIN REQUIREMENTS:
Wagons:
1. Wagons must be light but sturdy farm wagons. NO Conestogas - they are too large and cumbersome for the trail we will follow.
2. All bolts on the running gear must be riveted to prevent the nuts from working loose and falling off.
3. The bows must be strong and hold double osnaburg covers to protect contents from sun and weather.
4. Tools sufficient for making repairs: maul, hammer, iron or wooden wedges, covered tar bucket and brush, pegs, rope and lariats, chain and wench, etc.
5. Covered water barrel.
6. Spare wagon parts.

Teams:
1. Mules – six teams to a wagon. A spare mule or team is advantageous. NO Oxen- they are too big for us to yoke and handle. Horses are not as hardy as mules when water and feed is scarce.
2. Extra harness parts.
3. Grain for days of sparse grazing. Grain bags.
4. Blankets for cold days and nights

Camp equipment:
1. Coffee pot, kettles and pots, spider (frying pan with legs and deep cover that holds coals to bake in) of cast-iron. Sharp knives. Cooking utensils. Plates, cups and flatware of tin. One gutta-percha bucket for carrying water. Extra pots, pans and dishes you may deem necessary.
2. Lantern, candles, matches (carry in bottles corked tight to keep out moisture)
3. An axe, hatchet, rake and spade.
4. Medicine kit – contents that you wish to carry for emergencies, etc. Don’t forget clean bandages. DISGUISE any medicinal liquor, do not leave it in its original bottle.
5. Bedding should consist of (at minimum) two blankets, quilt, pillow and a gutta-percha cloth to roll them in and to use as a ground cover if needed.
6. Buckskin, awl and twine or string. (for repairs)

Stores and Provisions (per person):
1. Flour - 150 pounds – stout, double canvas sacks. A gutta-percha cover will protect from water and moisture.
2. Sugar – 25 pounds (same protection as above) Keg of molasses.
3. Bacon and pork – 25 pounds of each packed in strong sacks and surrounded by bran to protect from the heat. Hams -2 Dried or salted beef – 25 pounds, in kegs Eggs packed in a barrel of corn meal.
4. Dessicated (dried) vegetables and fruits of all manner – 50 pounds carried in sacks as the flour and sugar.
5. Butter – 5 pounds –rendered, then sealed with wax in tins.
6. Saleratus, yeast powders, salt, pepper and seasonings – as desired. Sew in sacks or seal in waxed tins or corked bottles to protect.
7. Coffee or tea – 15 pounds in sealed containers or sacks.

Personal items:
1. Rifle and/or pistol and abundant ammunition.
2. Sewing kit sufficient to repair wagon covers as well as clothing, etc.
3. Tin wash basin, soap, towels, toothbrush and paste or powder, hairbrush, comb, mirror, bar soap for washing clothes, etc.
4. Cotton or light woolen dresses for hot weather, heavy woolen dresses for cold weather with appropriate petticoats.
5. Unmentionables and warm night wear.
6. Woolen socks and boots or moccasins (preferred) that come up to the knees to guard against rattlesnake bites and keep your legs warm and dry in deep snow. An extra pair of moccasins.
7. Deep brimmed bonnets – cotton for hot days, wool felt for cold days. Buckskin driving gloves - four pair.
8. Gutta-percha poncho for inclement weather.
9. Cape or overcoat, scarf and gloves
10. Writing supplies, knitting yarns and needles, quilting pieces, needlepoint, such items as you deem necessary, but don’t overload.
11. Seeds for planting.

Other:
Your choice. Choose wisely! Consider weight and size and degree of need or desire. Think ahead and plan carefully when you pack your wagon.

IMPORTANT! Take along some items to trade with any friendly Indians. NO LIQUOR, of course. I'm told they will trade moccasins and rawhide capes for tobacco, baked goods, sugar, flour, needles, material, shiny buttons and beads. I'm sure there are other things you will think of.

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene S I believe that we will need salt as well.

message 16: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Thanks for the reminder. It's in with the saleratus and pepper and seasonings.

Welcome! I'm glad you will be joining us on our long journey.

message 17: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
I can't wait--this is going to be so much fun. Did you know that you can still see the original Oregon Trail? When my dh and I went to Wyoming in 1975, we saw a sign that said THE OREGON TRAIL off a lonely highway. We stopped and there it was--we could still see the wagon tracks! We stumbled upon Sacajawea's grave flanked by her two sons the same way. Never forget that!

message 18: by Irene (new)

Irene S I didn't see the tracks, but we stopped at the Oregon Trail Center in Montpelier Idaho a couple of years ago. Not very big, but it was interesting.

message 19: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Hi Lyn! I've seen the wagon tracks, so deeply embedded in the earth. It gave me an odd feeling to stand there and look at them and think of the brave people who traveled over those mountains and valleys in a wagon. Talk about courage!

message 20: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (neverenoughbookss) | 64 comments Looking forward to our trip.

message 21: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Unfortunately, I will be in Florida on vacation during this trip! Rats! You ladies have a great time! I have been all along the Oregon Trail (since I LIVE in Oregon...ha ha!!!) since I have always lived on the west coast and it's amazing! I've learned a lot about Lewis & Clark when we lived in Montana. All of it is so fascinating. I've studied a lot about it so I know you ladies will do great :) Can't wait to read your posts after the fact!

message 22: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments We'll miss you, Valri. With your knowledge of the country you could add a lot of wisdom...of course, none of us know anything about the history since we are going to become a part of it for two weeks!

Have a good time in Florida!

message 23: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Thanks, Dorothy! I'm sure all of you will have a great time!

message 24: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments Consider sewing valuables (jewels) into your petticoats to keep them safe. I am bringing a spare team of mules for us Dorothy have arranged for them to be delivered before I arrive.

message 25: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments What a good idea about the valuables, Jenny! But I would caution any ladies that use Jenny's idea to sew the valuables high (in your petticoat side seams perhaps) your bottom ruffles may get torn away, or you may have to use them in an emergency.

Jenny, how thoughtful of you to order a spare team of mules for us! You are a sweetheart!

message 26: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments I was thinking of higher than the hem. even in your heavy cloak where they can be smoother. Also try to bring some of the supplies with you before hitting Independence to save money.

message 27: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Melinda we need to go in the warmer months cos we need to beat the snow. I love the idea of driving the team as walking will be tiring."

That is very true, Jenny.

message 28: by Melinda (last edited Jul 23, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Dorothy wrote: "Wagon Train Requirements:
Wagons:
1. Wagons must be light but sturdy farm wagons. NO Conestogas - they are too large and cumbersome for the trail we will follow.
2. All bolts on the running gear mu..."

Dorothy,
Thanks for the list. There is a lot to do before we leave. Have to see about the wagon,

message 29: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Valri wrote: "Unfortunately, I will be in Florida on vacation during this trip! Rats! You ladies have a great time! I have been all along the Oregon Trail (since I LIVE in Oregon...ha ha!!!) since I have always ..."

Valri,
Enjoy your vacation but we will miss you.

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 558 comments Sadly, I am not going to be able to make the trip out west.
My husband will be having his second cornea transplant later in August. I will be taking him for pre-surgical tests and procedures.

I wish you all the best on your journey!

message 31: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments I'm sorry you can't make the journey with us, Andrea. We understand, but we'll miss you. :-(

Best wishes for your husband's surgery and quick recovery.

message 32: by Dorothy (last edited Aug 01, 2018 08:34AM) (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Ladies, are you planning how you will pack your wagon? Don't forget you can sew pockets on the sides of the inner cover to hold small items. And you can hammer hooks into the underside of the bows to hold a lantern, etc.

And don't forget to have the story of your reason for wanting to make the journey with our wagon train of WOMEN ready for when you register the first week. You ladies have such wonderful imaginations, I can't wait to read them!

I'm getting excited!!!

message 33: by Melinda (last edited Jul 24, 2018 11:44AM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments I have pickles and a lot of the vegetables from what came in and have some from last year canned so I have more than I can put in the wagons for my family so I will trade with you . Does any one have an extra harness?

message 34: by Melinda (last edited Jul 24, 2018 11:44AM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments I found a picture o f the ruts on the OREGON TRAIL, Here is the link:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?vi...

message 35: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Melinda, I have an extra harness I will be happy to trade for some pickles and a variety of dessicated (dried) vegetables. I'm afraid the new-fangled process of canning them in jars would make them too heavy and prone to breakage. Do you have any dried vegetables in sacks?

message 36: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments I have been able to precure some dried fruit (apples, apricots, and a few others) Also some dried peas, beans and carrots for us in a couple of air tight sacks Dorothy. Bring them with me.

message 37: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Dorothy wrote: "Melinda, I have an extra harness I will be happy to trade for some pickles and a variety of dessicated (dried) vegetables. I'm afraid the new-fangled process of canning them in jars would make them..."
We have plenty of fried vegetables to trade so that works. I have peaches and grapes dried as well as the vegetables. How many sacks do you want for the harness?

message 38: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I have been able to precure some dried fruit (apples, apricots, and a few others) Also some dried peas, beans and carrots for us in a couple of air tight sacks Dorothy. Bring them with me."

Jenny,
You are keeping busy.

message 39: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Melinda wrote: "Dorothy wrote: "Melinda, I have an extra harness I will be happy to trade for some pickles and a variety of dessicated (dried) vegetables. I'm afraid the new-fangled process of canning them in jars..."

That's wonderful, Melinda! The harness is in very good shape. It's well-oiled and supple. Would you consider four-ten pound bags a fair trade? One bag of the fruit and the other three of vegetables. I would love it if one of the bags was dried onions. Is that possible?

message 40: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Jenny, procuring those dried vegetables and fruits is wonderful! You are really thinking ahead! And making my job easier! :-) I'm so glad you agreed to drive my wagon! I, am negotiating with Melinda for even more dried vegetables and fruit. I want to be sure and have enough in case of a problem.

Our wagon is finished and loaded. I've left space for your things. And for any last minute items we feel we will need. I've planned two beds, one is atop two chests with drop down fronts fastened at the side of the wagon, and one is a sling bed that hangs from the bows--it holds a mattress for warmth and comfort. This way the beds do not take up space on the wagon floor.

I had the wagon builder make the bows extra wide of strong white oak, and the wheels are made of Osaage orangewood which he assures me is very strong and does not shrink in the dry heat. I, also, had a fold-down work table added to the side of the wagon beside one of the water barrels. If you can think of any other convenience that has escaped my attention, please let me know.

I will buy oats for the mules tomorrow. I am going to fill the wagon seat with them. If we save them for when we reach the mountains and the grazing gets scarce, that should be enough.

I am watching for the mule team you ordered delivered. It will be good if they get familiar with our other teams before we leave.

I am talking with two cowboys who have guided wagon trains to Oregon to glean information about the land.

Let me know if you think of any addition or change you want made to the wagon.

message 41: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Ladies, have you thought of any clever ideas for packing your wagon that you care to share with others?

I am so disappointed that I cannot take along my many books because of limiting weight to make pulling the wagons easier on the mules. I will leave all but my Bible behind.

message 42: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments I won't have a lot with me (you will learn more later) just one small chest with some clothing personal bible, note paper and writing equipment to sent a note if needed, a couple of special quilts and a couple other items which I will show you when I get there. The Mules should arrive today along with a package with the dried fruits and veg.

message 43: by Dorothy (last edited Jul 25, 2018 05:56PM) (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Jenny, A cowboy brought the mules late today. He ran into some trouble on the trail which delayed him.

The mules are very healthy and mild mannered. When he put them in the stock pen with our other teams there was no trouble at all. The dried fruits and vegetables are in muslin bags, well sewn. I am going to add a gutta-percha cover to them to protect them from moisture.

I'm looking forward to your arrival and your story.

message 44: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments my chest should also be arriving ahead of time I will just have my carpet bag with me and maybe one or two other things

message 45: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Dorothy wrote: "Melinda wrote: "Dorothy wrote: "Melinda, I have an extra harness I will be happy to trade for some pickles and a variety of dessicated (dried) vegetables. I'm afraid the new-fangled process of cann..."

Dorothy , that sounds fair to me since I am doing two wagons. A bag of dried onions.,one bag of dried carrots, a bag of dried peas and one of dried beans if that sounds good to you. The harness is really nice, Doorthy.
My Mules are here . We had a few but had to get enough for both wagons. The oats in the wagon seat sounds good. I am taking extra thread and material but like you am taking my Bible and the Farmers Almanac. I am hoping to be able to open a store to sew and sell clothes but at first it will be out of the wagon probably. I am driving one wagon. Selling the homestead has been hard but everyone is in Oregon and I will tell you the rest of the story later when we are on the trail.

message 46: by Melinda (last edited Jul 25, 2018 09:49PM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I won't have a lot with me (you will learn more later) just one small chest with some clothing personal bible, note paper and writing equipment to sent a note if needed, a couple of special quilts ..."

Sounds like an interesting story and maybe a mystery to help the time go by on the trail.

Jenny, I hope your trip to get here goes well and is quiet.

message 47: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments Melinda I would hope its quiet but I think it will be anything but quiet but that's another story.

message 48: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Melinda, do you have a driver for your second wagon? Or is that part of your story about the reason you want to make this trip with our wagon train? If so....shh...don't spill the beans (no pun intended) until you register.

message 49: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Melinda I would hope its quiet but I think it will be anything but quiet but that's another story."

That seems to be our normal when we all do something.

message 50: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Dorothy wrote: "Melinda, do you have a driver for your second wagon? Or is that part of your story about the reason you want to make this trip with our wagon train? If so....shh...don't spill the beans (no pun int..."

Dorothy,
I have a driver but I will tell who when I register so I will not spell the beans.
Do you and Jenny need butter as I am putting the finish touches on the butter we have. I hate getting rid of the cows but can not take them so this morning a neighbor has bought the herd . Churning the last of the butter and will finish with the rendering, then sealed with wax in tins.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8