Clean Romances discussion

Recommendations > Clean, Wholesome, Secular Romances

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 56 comments The Timeless Romance anthologies are clean, wholesome secular reads. http://timelessromanceanthologies.blo...

They have historical and modern collections. I liked Summer House Party. Georgette Heyer they are not, but the authors are well respected and liked in their genre and pretty good at writing lightish Regency romances with some substance. I also read A Timeless Romance Anthology: Winter Collection that features a variety of short stories from the Middle Ages to early 1900s.

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 146 comments Thanks for the heads-up!

message 3: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 56 comments I also like Proper Romance books published by Shadow Mountain. Not all of them are what I would call secular but the ones I've read are free from preaching.

Regina Scott started her own imprint to publish her clean, secular Regency romances. I haven't gotten around to reading them yet but I enjoy her books very much.

There is a market for these types of books but publishers seem reluctant to take a chance on them. They don't end up selling in drugstores and grocery stores or making the New York Times bestseller lists but I think if they print them, readers will come. I switched to cozy mysteries just to find something nice to read that didn't involve heaving bosoms.

message 4: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Darroch | 4 comments Hi,
I have a novel LOVE IS WAITING on Amazon. It's a mystery romance, secular and clean. You can check it out, it's only .99 right now and free for kindle unlimited.

Love Is Waiting by J.B. Darroch

Love Is Waiting

message 5: by C. (last edited Jul 23, 2018 03:40AM) (new)

C. | 289 comments That is why I created my group. Originally as a group for clean secular romances, but when I noticed so many Goodreads members posting that they wanted clean non-preachy reads in .ALL genres,I decided to become a resource for such books.

For those interested …. check out the bookshelf in my group~
Clean,Non Religious-Reads

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

and for even more titles ,check out my bookshelves on my profile page~C. Hall
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1...

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne Ashby | 21 comments I so agree with QNPoohBear - getting publishers to accept more of "our" preferred sub-genre is whats needed. There are plenty of readers out there who want a clean story. We don't all want to read 50 Shades

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 228 comments How can we get this to happen QNPB and Anne? Ideas anyone?

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 146 comments Well, there are conventions of romance writers. If someone were inclined to form a group for fans of clean romance and then sponsor a table at the conventions, that would give authors and fans alike an identity to gather around, demonstrating the size of the potential market. A lot of work for "someone" to take on, though. And maybe that's an old school solution and some sort of online affinity group might suffice.

message 9: by Jana (new)

Jana Brown (jana_stocks_brown) | 11 comments The other thing you have to do is buy and review the kinds of books you want to read. Publishers and Indie writers all watch the Amazon top 100s in both free and paid. They watch the NY Times lists, etc. Those numbers really inform a lot of what gets picked up going forward. Trad publishing is always further behind the curve because of the time it takes to acquire, edit, etc, but buying and reviewing habits make a difference.

message 10: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Hammond (lindahooper) | 28 comments Hi - if you like clean, historical Regency and historical romance then you might enjoy my Melinda Hammond romances- you can find them all on Kindle - and look out for a free ebook promo coming up soon!

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina Newcomb (tinanewcomb) | 6 comments It's very hard to find clean romance. I was just at the Romance Writers of America conference and running into another sweet "clean" romance writer was rare. Jana is right, reviews really help authors books move up the lists.

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne Ashby | 21 comments Yeah Anna, You've posed the big question. How do we promote clean stories? Abigail's suggestion might help - unfortunately I'm not much help there - I live in New Zealand and while we do have a conference each year, I rarely attend. I'd love us to keep this conversation going as there may be more ideas out there. Anyone participating - please share any thoughts that some or all of us might latch onto and put into practice.

message 13: by Addison (new)

Addison Carmichael | 23 comments Just read a PNR shifters by Lynn Nodima (Wolf's Man) - very clean and appropriate, and a lot of fun. Wolf's Man Texas Ranch Wolf Pack (Texas Ranch Wolf Pack Series Book 1) by Lynn Nodima

message 14: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 31 comments Addison wrote: "Just read a PNR shifters by Lynn Nodima (Wolf's Man) - very clean and appropriate, and a lot of fun.Wolf's Man Texas Ranch Wolf Pack (Texas Ranch Wolf Pack Series Book 1) by Lynn Nodima"

Clean PNR, that's almost like an oxymoron. :D
I see the first one is inexpensive, too.
Goes on my tbr-list.

message 15: by Jana (new)

Jana Brown (jana_stocks_brown) | 11 comments Clean PNR, that's almost..."

It really can be.

Teyla Branton writes clean PNR. Her books tend to have smooching, mild language, and action adventure style fighting scenes/violence. The Change

Melissa McShane has a new contemporary fantasy The Book of Secrets which has mild language and some innuendo. I don't remember if there's any kissing at all in that one. Action adventure contemporary fantasy in Portland. Some of the content gets a little more smoochy in later books, but it's fade to black kind of things. So depends on where your line is for how clean is clean.

It's easier to find clean PRN/UF in YA books versus adult, but there are series out there. :)

((I also have a clean UF series if anyone would like the first book for review I'd be happy to accommodate. Action adventure violence, some swearing - discouraged and one kiss))

message 16: by Addison (last edited Aug 06, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Addison Carmichael | 23 comments Gerd wrote: "Addison wrote: "Just read a PNR shifters by Lynn Nodima (Wolf's Man) - very clean and appropriate, and a lot of fun.Wolf's Man Texas Ranch Wolf Pack (Texas Ranch Wolf Pack Series Book 1) by Lynn Nodima"
Clean PNR, that's almost..."

I know, right? The problem is (and hopefully was) that Trad houses would only publish PNR that were sexually explicit and reject the possibility that the STORY and ROMANCE is what it's all about. I write Fantasy Romance and have a PNR shifters romance series that are completely focused on the story and not on the sex. There's a real audience out there that's been sadly deprived, and I'm proud to be part of the solution.

message 17: by Addison (last edited Aug 06, 2018 12:56PM) (new)

Addison Carmichael | 23 comments Jana wrote: "Clean PNR, that's almost..."

Teyla Branton writes clean PNR. Her books tend to have smooching, mild language, and action adventure style fighting scenes/violence. [book:The Chan..."

Would be happy to review yours. Contact me here on GR or addisoncarmichaelbooks@gmail.com

message 18: by Jana (new)

Jana Brown (jana_stocks_brown) | 11 comments I totally believe that audience is out there. The last couple trad editors I spoke to are still looking for more explicit works and "boundary stretching" works, which annoys me. But the more clean writers and readers show that there's an audience for it (and let's be honest the trad publishers have to see that there's profit to be made) the more that will change.