Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Need a book to creep me out like Rosemary's Baby did!

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Hope I've come to the right place for some help! To provide some context, I read Rosemary's Baby a short time ago and it's quickly become one of my favourite ever books - hence I urgently need something to scratch a similar itch. I guess I'm after a scarily plausible speculative/chiller-inflected book dealing with similar themes of devil worship, cults, or the second coming of the antichrist, either in a domestic milieu or with apocalyptic implications (contemporary settings preferred over historical). Being scary as hell is a good thing, being badly written is not (I just can't hack naff writing and plotting). What are the classics of the genre that I might have overlooked? As a tangential offshoot, any good chillers about sentient babies who might or might not be the antichrist? I suppose what I'm saying is, I loved loved LOVED Rosemary's Baby and although it might be peerless, I'm after the next best thing (or in the unlikely event you know of something even better, do spill the beans!) I like being made to think, I like feeling a shiver down my spine, and although agnostic, I have an appetite for plausible religious horror (if that's not an anachronism). Be fascinated to hear any thoughts you might have...

message 2: by Upender (new)

Upender Reddy | 9 comments Hi Pls check my first novel, you will not be disappointed

Beneath the Eyes by Upender Reddy

message 3: by David (last edited Jul 21, 2018 01:28PM) (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1612 comments Hello, Itchy. I agree with you that Rosemary's Baby is a classic.
If you haven't already read it, then I'd draw your attention to The Omen by David Seltzer by David Seltzer. It fits your niche.

From a similar period, my all time favorite 'creep factor' book is Hell House by Richard Matheson by Richard Matheson.
It's definitely a book I'd recommend, and it comes with a huge sense of lingering evil. Although, it's not quite fitting with what you're looking for, it's still worth a look.

message 4: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Thanks David, just the sort of thoughts I'm after - particularly The Omen. I've always shied away from it since technically it's a novelisation of a film, however I see it's written by the screenwriter - so gains back some legitimacy. I'll certainly fast-track that one. Is The Exorcist worth hunting out, do you know?

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5086 comments Mod
The Exorcist novel is quite good. I think the movie is much better as it better develops some things that were only touched on in the book, but it's still pretty solid.

You might want to check out Ania Ahlborn's The Devil Crept In. It has some similar themes to RB.

message 6: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Thanks all. Any ideas gatefully welcomed. It's been so long since a book genuinely creeped me out, I miss the sensation. Originality often helps (and is so rare). Despite its slightly arch tone, I found The Last Days of Jack Sparks unsettling in several parts - an offbeat pick but a worthwhile read. Please keep 'em coming!

message 7: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Anyone know if Dean Koontz's Servants of Twilight is any good, or just the usual Koontz claptrap?

message 8: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 786 comments The Servants of Twilight was written by Koontz under the name Leigh Nichols, and it is an older book, probably from the early nineties. I read it back then and I liked it but I also think that his older work is better than his new stuff ( just my opinion).

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 911 comments Read The Haunted by Robert Curran about the Smurl family and the real events that happened to them. Very very creepy. Deliver us from Evil is also excellent about Ralph Sacchi. A New York cop who gives that up to help people plagues by demons and evil spirits. Miles batter than the movie starring Eric Bana. I like him but the movie was poor. Nothing like the book and a horrible mess. The book is good enough to make an excellent movie and I wish somebody else would give it a go.

The Exorcist is great and the sequel Legion is superb. Exorcist III was based on Legion and directed by Blaty the author who is sadly no longer with us. Excellent book.

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 911 comments Whats happening to my spelling!!!

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 911 comments Exorcist 2 has NOTHING to do with anything Blaty wrote and is a hideous mess. Why Richard Burton? Why man!

message 12: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1913 comments Itchy wrote: "Hope I've come to the right place for some help! To provide some context, I read Rosemary's Baby a short time ago and it's quickly become one of my favourite ever books - hence I urgently need some..."

'Salem's Lot. Vampires, enough said.
The Exorcist. Religious fervor, atheism and good old evil.
Carrion Comfort, which is more psychological. mind control scare me.
House of Leaves. Not particularly creepy, until you get to the house portions. The whole thing is just "OFF". This book takes a commitment and your first born, so don't go in lightly.

message 13: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Thanks Alondra. Not sure about Salem's Lot (vampires aren't really my bag) but that Carrion Comfort is absolutely going in my list. Any more, folks?!

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5086 comments Mod
Are you looking for books in general to creep you out, or more like you mentioned about the devil/cults/etc.?

The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons will get deeply under your skin, though it's about an evil house, no cults or devils. But it's utterly unsettling.
Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon is another creepy book, and is about a religious cult, though again, not devil worship.
The Fisherman by John Langan is fantastic and gets deep into the themes of loss, depression and places no one should venture, lest they become lost to powers they can't fathom.
The Ritual by Adam Nevill - more creepiness when four men get lost in a foreboding forest with hidden lore and a bizarre cult.
Song of Kali by Dan Simmons the seediest of seediness in the dark pit of Calcutta and it's forbidden lore and creepy cults.

message 15: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Thanks Alan - yes, what I'm ideally searching for is sinister yet subtle Satan inspired stuff like Rosemary's Baby. You've anticipated my tastes well though because I have read and enjoyed Fisherman, Ritual and Song of Kali. Your top two suggestions I'll have to investigate further - so, thanks.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh, I loved The House Next Door!

Come Closer is in that demonic vein, and quite creepy. It's also pretty short so a fast read too.

message 17: by Debbie (last edited Jul 24, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Debbie | 35 comments I highly recommend Seed by Ania Ahlborn.

message 18: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Thanks Andrea and Debbie - more meat for the grinder! All sound excellent. It's so hard to be scared by books as you get older (and it's a long time since my old favourite Stephen King has frightened me).

message 19: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 603 comments I would recommend (all feature a cult, or demon):

No One Gets Out Alive

Within These Walls (this one really creeped me out)

Angel Manor

message 20: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Thanks Kelly - that's a couple of mention when now for WTW and NOGOA - looking promising on those fronts :-)

message 21: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 30 comments I recommend you another classic :The Exorcist. I have seen the movie a couple of times, but the book is so much better

message 22: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Thanks Silvia - if it's as scary as the film - or even scarier - it'll be a nerve shredding experience...

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 31 comments I would recommend Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

It's seen more as a thriller than a horror but there is a cult. Don't be put off by the hype of Gone Girl, this book was all kinds of sick and twisted and gave me a physical reaction of horror like no other book has. It seriously lives up to its name.

message 24: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 911 comments Itchy wrote: "Thanks Alondra. Not sure about Salem's Lot (vampires aren't really my bag) but that Carrion Comfort is absolutely going in my list. Any more, folks?!"

Carrion Comfort is great

message 25: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Thanks Jess and Steve. Jess, I've read and enjoyed Dark Places - two thumbs up. Steve, thanks for the second vote for Carrion Comfort. This query is producing some great suggestions.

message 26: by Peter (new)

Peter | 58 comments I would highly recommend Midnight Voices by John Saul. Once the story takes off you can't stop reading. Even more compelling than Rosemary's Baby in my opinion...

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Peter wrote: "I would highly recommend Midnight Voices by John Saul. Once the story takes off you can't stop reading. Even more compelling than Rosemary's Baby in my opinion..."

Thanks for the rec, gonna check that out

message 28: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1913 comments Itchy wrote: "Thanks Alondra. Not sure about Salem's Lot (vampires aren't really my bag) but that Carrion Comfort is absolutely going in my list. Any more, folks?!"

You are welcome :)

message 29: by Peter (new)

Peter | 58 comments Carrion comfort is one of my alltime favourites. I can only recommend that. Salem's Lot is very good as well, especially the first part.

message 30: by Kel (new)

Kel Midthnaetitulla | 39 comments Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe

I'm not easily creeped, disturbed, or even entertained. This book effectively did all three.

message 31: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Cheers Kel - another tempting recommendation. Creepy and disturbing sounds promising. At <200 pages it must be pretty tightly written too.

message 32: by April (last edited Aug 01, 2018 07:49AM) (new)

April robinson (aprillost) | -2 comments Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill Joe Hill

This book is just creepy and I loved it!! very creepy and a easy read !

message 33: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Thanks April - I'll check out the synopsis now :-)

message 34: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Dodd (jdizzle619) | 38 comments Off Season by Jack Ketchum.

message 35: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Thankd Joshua. Is that one genuinely creepy or just sick as hell? I remember it being withdrawn from circulation for a while due to extreme violence (though that's only by reputation - I obviously haven't read it with my own eyes yet!)

message 36: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Dodd (jdizzle619) | 38 comments Honestly I'd say both, it filled me with this impending doom that made my heart race and created an uneasiness that I found hard for authors to match tbh. The violence is a little extreme but isn't out of place imho, it fits well and reads even better.

message 37: by Itchy (new)

Itchy Eyes | 14 comments Super - thanks for the extra context. Onto my santa list it goes! I certainly found The Hills Have Eyes disturbing and unsettling back in the day...

message 38: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11047 comments Mod
there is some great suggestions here! if you ever want to do a buddy read, hit me up. some of these I've read but not all that has been suggested.

message 39: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Dodd (jdizzle619) | 38 comments I actually have two copies of the 35th Anniversary of Off Season the unexpurgated novel from Dark Regions Press its amazingly detailed with some bad ass short stories that tie in to the novel and actual notebook material from the original work. They are signed as well 411 and 441 out of 500 Shoot me a message Itchy Eyes

message 40: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis | 28 comments Definitely "The Omen" and "The Exorcist". They both have the occult vibe "Rosemary's Baby" did.

message 41: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 276 comments I'd certainly agree with The Exorcist and after you read that, follow up with A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay and, for the lighter side of possession -- sort of -- My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix.

There's another one that I haven't read that several writers and critics claim as better than Blatty's novel and was published earlier, The Case Against Satan by Ray Russell. I read his story collection, Haunted Castles a few years ago and loved it. I should pull out the novel ...

RM

message 42: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis | 28 comments I loved "My Best Friend's Exorcism," but it was more for the friendship part. The book never really scared me.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Itchy wrote: "Anyone know if Dean Koontz's Servants of Twilight is any good, or just the usual Koontz claptrap?"

I actually liked that one quite a bit, and I'm not a huge fan of his. May be my favorite so far from the author.