Blazing Readers & Wordy Writers discussion

The Hobbit
This topic is about The Hobbit
Buddy Reads > The Hobbit - Starting August 4, 2018

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine (catherine_mooncakes) | 1797 comments Mod
Blazing Readers: Post at least four comments related to the book here (spoiler tags preferred) to earn your bonus points.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

Written for J.R.R. Tolkien’s own children, The Hobbit met with instant critical acclaim when it was first published in 1937. Now recognized as a timeless classic, this introduction to the hobbit Bilbo Baggins, the wizard Gandalf, Gollum, and the spectacular world of Middle-earth recounts of the adventures of a reluctant hero, a powerful and dangerous ring, and the cruel dragon Smaug the Magnificent. The text in this 372-page paperback edition is based on that first published in Great Britain by Collins Modern Classics (1998), and includes a note on the text by Douglas A. Anderson (2001). Unforgettable!

message 2: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (last edited Jul 21, 2018 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anyone reading this that is not Coralie: You may not want to join in on this one because I just finished reading it and we're going to discuss as Coralie reads it, but if you've read the book before, feel free to add to the discussion.

message 3: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 1249 comments Mod
We'd be glad to have you along for the ride!!

message 4: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

How's the new date sound, Coralie?

message 5: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (last edited Jul 21, 2018 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine wrote: "How's the new date sound, Coralie?"

Oh that's plenty of time! I feel so bad for making you wait so long. Especially since I kind of invited myself along for the LOTR anyway. XD I'll do my best to get to it asap!!

message 6: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

No need to feel bad! Like I said, I wasn't originally planning to read this one for a couple weeks anyway until I didn't request the library books soon enough. xD And it's not like LOTR picks up where The Hobbit leaves off. It's mostly its own story, I think.

message 7: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine wrote: "No need to feel bad! Like I said, I wasn't originally planning to read this one for a couple weeks anyway until I didn't request the library books soon enough. xD And it's not like LOTR picks up wh..."

Yes, that's true. LOTR tells a story which focuses on Bilbo's nephew, many, many years after the events of the Hobbit.

message 8: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Are ya ready to start tomorrow? If you're not, that's okay.

message 9: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Girl, I musta got my days mixed up. I thought I was supposed to start this past Monday. That said, I'm only on like, page 6.

message 10: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ah. Well, that works just fine. What edition are you reading?

message 11: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 12: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read this one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... Came in a set with LOTR. My dad has had that set since fifth grade (a long time :p), so I have to be super careful with them. They're so fragile!

message 13: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

That's really cool! What an experience! I love old books (and brand, spanking new ones!). They always smell so amazing. This is such a treasure. So cool!

message 14: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes, the smell! I just bought one of my bookish friends an old-book-scented candle for her birthday, and it smells uncannily like an old book. My dad has a bunch of books from his childhood that he's held on to. They fill a whole bookcase! That'll be me in 30+ years. It's not hoarding if it's books!

message 15: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

WHAT?!?!? THEY HAVE THOSE?!?! NO WAY!!! WHERE?!!? I WANT ONE!!! COME HITHER BOOK SMELLING CANDLE!!!!

I'm a...bit of a candle fanatic. And...that is like a little piece of heaven...SERIOUSLY?! YOU FOUND A BOOK SCENTED CANDLE?!!?!?

Hahaha, yes! I have a box full of my childhood books that I now read to my baby brother (just turned 6). It's kind of cool. He loves that box.

message 16: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's on Etsy. $7 (plus shipping, which varies according to where you live). I love it! Etsy is just awesome for all sorts of bookish things. Clothing with books on it, book-scented candles, bookmarks, bags that look like books, book jewelry, stickers, pins, wrapping paper... It's heaven. Well, except for your wallet.

message 17: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

That is AMAZING! I'm a huge Etsy fan. You're right. XD My wallet suffers!!! I have an Etsy shop, but I haven't sold anything yet :/ Sadness. Oh well. :) I keep making the stuff anyway XD

message 18: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

What's your shop?

message 19: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's called gracebought. I'll have to look at the link if you want it, or there's a link on my blog that'll take you there.

message 20: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just typed gracebought into Etsy. Wow! How long did that blanket take you? xD Those coasters are cuteee! Since you keep declining my birthday present offers, maybe I'll buy one of the coasters and leave a review to help get you started. :-)

message 21: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aw, that would be super sweet of you! The blanket took...uh...I think that one took a few months. Maybe three?

message 22: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nice! Yeah, I'll probably buy a coaster or two. :-) This probably isn't the *best* time for me to buy something from your Etsy shop, huh? In the process of moving and everything. Probably not much of a good birthday present at the moment. I'll order it in a couple weeks.

message 23: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haha, so true! I'd have to find the right box to mail it to you! XD I'll let you know when I get settled in.

message 24: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alright. xD