Support for Indie Authors discussion

Physical Book Publishing > Where is the Canadian Blurb/Ingram/createspace alternative?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Walker (jetplague) | 33 comments I'm tired of having to order a book and getting those darn extra fees just fo get ONE proof copy for twice the price! I get that there's duty fees and taxes (Governments love their money), but there must be something closer to home with the same sort of set up like these companies.
I love Blurb's Bookwright program and wish there was something just like that on other sites. If I could take that and have it on an online Canadian publishing site....I'd be golden. Costs would be within reason and not worry about 'border costs' to ship one book.

There must be something like that here -are there any northern alternative suggestions?

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Walker (jetplague) | 33 comments Yes, of course...Kobo Writing Life. But they cater more to just the EBooks rather than Print. Not that I'm not saying it is one of the alternatives...cause it is Amazon like in terms of global sales, but for printing...they sell you a separate service for that.

Thank you for that example.

Is there one that can do it all online, without having to contact a team or extra services to charge you even more?

How about any other canadian authors out there - what did you find was the better way to keep the cost and the print of the book 'in country'?

message 3: by Noor (new)

Noor Al-Shanti | 147 comments I would be very interested in responses to this. There must be enough Canadian authors and readers to make this a feasible business plan for someone, but I have yet to see such an option.

message 4: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Genevieve wrote: "KOBO Writing Life.
"

No link please :(

message 5: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Montcombroux | 66 comments Sorry for the link - I forgot :(

Kobo 's list of authors is international, not just Canadian.

message 6: by Lori-Ann (new)

Lori-Ann Claude | 76 comments When I saw the set up fee with Ingram Spark and how difficult it was to get an author copy with KDP, I googled where I could get my book available in Canada. The place I got an estimate from is Canambooks.

They have 2 models: author can sell from their website or readers can buy print directly from Canambooks' online store (shipping is $5 anywhere in Canada). Like Ingram, there's an annual fee. To get a batch of books shipped to me, the unit price was pretty high. For the print cost to go down to less than $7 CAD (excluding shipping) I would have had to order 400+ copies! The option to sell POD from my website was higher.

Are there other places like Canambooks but less expensive? I don't know.

I ended up going with KDP over Ingram and Canambooks.

I ordered 5 author copies (I didn't bother with a proof) but didn't tell anyone it could be ordered. 5 copies of a 6x9 329 pages trade paperback cost me 54.50 (converted to CAD including shipping). I did take a chance that my 5 author copies would be disappointing and was lucky they weren't. Ordering more than that would have been too much of a risk (if they were bad) but if the copies were fine, 5 copies was a good start (I would have been mad had I ordered only 1 copy). I didn't find that much of a saving on shipping the more author copies are bought.

The point is, to get more sales, it's better for the reader to buy from Amazon or other known retailers. It helps with ranking. Selling from my website would have been a hassle and wouldn't have helped my Amazon ranking. Getting people to Canambooks would have been a hassle too. Going with Ingram for the first book wasn't worth the set up cost.

There is Lulu which is similar to Ingram but without the set up cost (so closer to KDP). I would consider them if I wanted to get my book available in hardcover (since KDP doesn't have that option). The set up is free and they will make the book available to various retailers (but profit is less). They seem to be Canadian friendly and will print "premium" paperback from Canada. They show an example of a 200 page book for what it costs (but it doesn't show how much shipping would cost). For sure, the profit for distribution to Amazon is a lot less than going straight with KDP.

message 7: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Montcombroux | 66 comments Check with Writers Beware. Lulu is not recommended. Apparently their print books are not very good. Some bloggers have reported hidden costs.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela Maher (angelajmaher) | 43 comments I'm in Australia and use CreateSpace and Lulu. IngramSpark does print books here, but I couldn't set up an account with them without a business tax number.
CreateSpace has been pretty good although postage more than doubles the books cost. Apparently KDP won't allow Aussie authors to order proof copies of print books any more (Amazon is having a tantrum over our GST).
I've used Lulu for hardcovers. I thought the paper was perhaps a little thin, and images print darker than the same file with CreateSpace, but I haven't come across any hidden costs. Again, postage is high to here, but when a shipment was damaged, they replaced the books for no charge.

message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Walker (jetplague) | 33 comments Angela wrote: "I'm in Australia and use CreateSpace and Lulu. IngramSpark does print books here, but I couldn't set up an account with them without a business tax number.
CreateSpace has been pretty good although..."

Haven't tried Lulu yet....I was reading up on some writers bad reviews of their shipments. But the company is more then happy to replace if the shipping damage is to blame. I have no clue about Lightning Source....although they are Ingram as well.

message 10: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Montcombroux | 66 comments "As of April 20, 2018, CreateSpace stopped offering self-publishing services. CreateSpace continues to provide print-on-demand services and is a gateway to publishing your paperback on Amazon. They also continue to provide a platform for authors to manage their Amazon sales of paperbacks and to be paid royalties."
And:
Amazon’s self-publishing service, Createspace, is laying off workers in its editing, marketing and design division in July because the company is getting out of the business of offering services to writers.

Additionally:

“After a thorough review of our service offerings, we’ve made the decision to discontinue Createspace’s paid professional editing, design and marketing services,” Amazon said in a statement. “We will work closely with impacted employees through this transition to help them find new roles within the company or assist them with pursuing opportunities outside the company.”

This announcement came on the heels of CreateSpace shuttering its e-store in the fall of 2017.

Beware. When everything can be transferred to KDP it will be closed. Too bad, I thought it was a good service and served me well. I transferred all my titles to KDP and I have had no problems. A plus: getting royalties every month!

message 11: by Lori-Ann (new)

Lori-Ann Claude | 76 comments So I don't know if this was always like this but my KDP print book is visible on the .ca site. And it's eligible for free shipping on orders over 35$. But when someone orders, it does show up in my report as a purchase from the .com marketplace.

Anyone hear if anything changed? I don't see the .ca marketplace available to set a price but when I first published the print, I don't remember being able to see the print version from the .ca site. I still have to order author copies from the .com site.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Abigail (melissaabigail) | 58 comments I'm really wondering this too. It would be so nice to have something local. I'm not worried about shipping so much as the visibility and being able to tap into the Canadian market in particular. It's painfully difficult doing this through KDP which is very U.S. focused, and leaves no control over Amazon.ca advertising/pricing at that. I'm really stunned no one has done a good equivalent to Createspace or Ingramspark yet.