Reading 1001 discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1352 comments This story of the fabled Zulu chief was a past BOTM which I had failed to read at the time. It was perhaps an ideal holiday read because the chapters were short and the book itself was slender, but it was also a difficult read as it was a cruel and bloodthirsty tale. It was written early last century in the Basotho language in what was called Basutoland at the time. I believe the area is now Losotho. Anyway, it managed to be translated into English, but was something of a rarity. It mythologised the story of how a rejected son gained power and exacted revenge. It used repetition and evocative language most powerfully. It has certainly interested me in finding out more about the historical character.

message 2: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3949 comments Mod
Pip wrote: "This story of the fabled Zulu chief was a past BOTM which I had failed to read at the time. It was perhaps an ideal holiday read because the chapters were short and the book itself was slender, but..."
I don’t remember this being a BOTM read?

message 3: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1352 comments I bought it for some reason, maybe it was a different challenge.