Catholic Thought discussion

Welcome > Book Club Announcements

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 3737 comments Mod
Group, if you go to the Catholic Thought Main page (scroll to the top of the page and click the "Catholic Thought" link) you will find a new picture and icon insert for our book club. The icon insert is St. Dominic with a book from a painting by Fra Angelico and the panoramic painting is called the Dresden Triptich by Jan van Eyck. We had the panoramic picture of St. Peter's Square and the insert of Pope Francis for a number of years, and Kerstin and I thought it was time to refresh our look. It took us a while to settle on the triptich but I think the St. Dominic with the book was an instant decision.

What do you think? I think it looks wonderful. That is such a stately representation of the Madonna holding the child. To the right is St. Catherine of Alexandria and to the left is St. Michael the Archangel and apparently the donor who commissioned the painting. I don't know how all the columns and lines work aesthetically but it really directs the eyes to the Blessed Mother and accentuates her queenly state. You can read about the painting here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dresden...

I've always thought the St. Dominic reading a book was the perfect icon for our book club. It's a detail from a painting by Fra Angelico titled "The Mocking of Christ." You can read about the painting here:
https://aleteia.org/2018/03/03/pictur...

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 182 comments Beautiful!

message 3: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 553 comments The new picture is beautiful, Manny. I'd never before read about the image representing a scene from the life of Christ that was painted on the wall of each friar's cell. What an insight about the power of visual images on the part of the Dominicans.

message 4: by Manny (new)

Lisa, Frances, glad you liked it.

message 5: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 1354 comments Mod
I really like the pensive or reflective pose of St. Dominic. It is such a great reminder to not just consume and read for contents, but try to absorb, contemplate, and pray over what we are reading.

message 6: by Galicius (new)

Galicius | 443 comments I like the new photos and love Renaissance art. The old Vatican panorama had its days.

message 7: by Kerstin (new)

From time to time it is necessary to do a little housekeeping. I looked at our folders to see what we could streamline and make more user friendly for everyone.

1) We renamed the "General" folder to "Welcome". From now on it will only contain two discussion threads, "Please Introduce Yourself" for new members, and the rules. All other discussions have been moved to "Gathering Space."

2) We renamed the "General Catholic Chat" folder to "Gathering Space." The title is inspired by the ante room or gathering space many churches have before entering the church proper. We didn't touch any of the discussions already present, plus we've consolidated other secondary discussion threads here which were scattered in multiple folders. This we hope will simplify finding and posting commentaries to existing topics and/or creating new ones within one single folder.

3) No changes have been made to the Moderator Announcements, Book Nominations, and Recommendations folders.

4) We have now four compilation folders separated by topic. The Bible Study and Church Fathers you are already familiar with. In addition there is now a Short Reads and Church Documents folder.

5) There are no changes to the individual book discussion folders.

message 8: by Manny (new)

Excellent. Thank you Kerstin.

message 9: by Manny (new)

Catholic Thought Book Club Members,

A number of our members have had a desire to read some Catholic fiction, but as we get into a vote, a devotional or theological work tends to win out. So we’re considering adding a read that will be specifically dedicated to a fictional work. And if so, how will we incorporate this read into our cycle. There are two ways to do this, but first let me refresh everyone’s memory of our cycle.

Currently we cycle through three different types of reads. One read is any Catholic work of any price that is of reasonable length. Call this A-Read. Second is any Catholic work of reasonable length that is inexpensively priced, around five dollars or less. We do this for those on a budget. Call this B-Read. Third is a Catholic work that is long and too much to do in one read. We break this up into segments and pick it up at the end of a cycle. Call this C-Read. So we do an A-Read, B-Read, and then pick up where we left off on the C-Read.

For the Catholic fiction read, we can just make it a D-Read, and have a cycle of four reads. Or we can specify the Catholic fiction read to a particular time of the year, say as a summer read. Typically we read about six books per year. So if you elect to add to the cycle, a fiction read will be one of four books. If you want the fiction read to be strictly a summer read, it will come up one in six books.

So here is the poll. There are three choices to select from. The “No” indicates we will not create a specific read dedicated to fiction. One “Yes” choice will be to add to the cycle and one “Yes” choice will be to have a fiction read strictly as part of a summer read. The two yes will add up against the no.

1. No, a dedicated Catholic fiction read is unnecessary. Leave things as they are.

2. Yes, I would like a dedicated Catholic fiction and prefer it be every fourth read in the cycle.

3. Yes, I would like a dedicated Catholic fiction read and prefer it be a summer read.

You can vote here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 10: by Manny (new)

I guess this is the best place for this announcement. I received a message here on Goodreads from the publisher Henry Holt (that's the name of the publishing house) offering our book club free editions of the upcoming publication of Things Worth Dying For: Thoughts on a Life Worth Living by recently retired Archbishop, Charles J. Chaput.

I told Maia (the representative for Henry Holt) that we would consider it for our next read, and she responded "just let me know if it's selected and we can discuss ways to partner and book donation to your group." I find this is an extraordinarily generous offer for our humble book club. We should take it up.

We didn't get into specifics as to quantity. I just read over at The Catholic Book Club they received a similar offer and apparently John (their moderator) told their book club they could receive up to 20 hard copies and unlimited ebook quantities. I would imagine if I asked for specifics we would receive a similar offer.

Now here's what I propose. Let's take up the book as our book club read. Archbishop Emeritus Chaput is someone who many people here respect. He is still one of the leading voices in the American Church and was known as an intellectual. I remember reading one of his books previously and it was well thought out and written. I was impressed.

We will be finished with Dark Night of the Soul at the end of March. Chaput's book doesn't make it to the public until March 16th. I don't know when we would have the book by. Our next read in our cycle would be Catholic fiction and the one after that would be a Catholic book of any genre. If we receive the Chaput book by the time Dark Night of the Soul ends, we should start it. If not we can go with the Catholic fiction first.

As to getting copies for the club. How about I submit names of our regular participants for the hard copy. I'll go back several reads and get people's names who have participated. That would be the fair thing. Anyone else that wants to participate can receive the ebook. If anyone of our regulars for some reason prefers the ebook or does not want the hardcopy or participate, let me know.

How does this sound?

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 151 comments This sounds like a great offer and a good plan to me Manny. Count me in for that read.

message 12: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 553 comments Just right. I would like to take part.

message 13: by Casey (new)

Casey (tomcasey) | 85 comments I'm enjoying my first read with all of you and I'm not familiar with Chaput so I'd like to join in.

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments I am not familiar with Chaput's writing either, but am open to this title. How would shipping it work?

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 151 comments https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclu...

This is an excerpt from the book if this helps in the decision.

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine Bengle | 35 comments I would be interested in participating if I could and the e book would be fine with me.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 192 comments I would be interested also Manny. That is a very nice offer. Thanks

message 18: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 602 comments I am interested. Count me in.

message 19: by Manny (new)

Oh great. I thrilled with this response. Let me email Maia with our plans and ask how she wants to send you the book. I would assume she will need your home addresses. What I'll propose is to get her email and provide it to you where then you can email her with your address.

Christine - Let me make sure. You prefer the ebook over the hardcopy? Anyone else prefer the ebook?

message 20: by Manny (new)

I sent private messages to people who may not have seen this note yet. I'll get a final count of those interested shortly. But I got you all down. I've sent Maia an email asking about how to get you books. When I get a response, I will pass it on.

message 21: by Gerri (new)

Gerri Bauer (gerribauer) | 171 comments I just read the excerpt and I'd definitely like to read more. Manny, either hard copy or ebook is fine with me.

message 22: by Manny (new)

OK, I just read the excerpt too. Now how is that for winning my heart? By starting with a quote from St. Catherine of Siena!

Thanks Joseph for providing that.

Will do Gerri.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 55 comments Hi Manny,
I'm definitely interested in reading it. What a gracious offer by the publisher. Looking forward to it. :)

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine Bengle | 35 comments Manny wrote: "Oh great. I thrilled with this response. Let me email Maia with our plans and ask how she wants to send you the book. I would assume she will need your home addresses. What I'll propose is to get h..."

Yes, the e book would be great. Thanks

message 25: by Manny (new)

Gotcha Christine and Kristen.

Here's a lightbulb moment for me: Christine, Kristen, and Kerstin all all variations of the same name. ;)

message 26: by Manny (new)

There's a book review of the Archbishop's book at the National Catholic Register, "Archbishop Chaput’s New Book Addresses Man’s Greatest Spiritual Poverty: Not Knowing How to Die"
https://www.ncregister.com/news/archb...

It's not exactly what I thought it would be about, but still captivating. I want to read it.

message 27: by Galicius (last edited Mar 14, 2021 05:45AM) (new)

Galicius | 443 comments Manny wrote: "There's a book review of the Archbishop's book at the National Catholic Register, "Archbishop Chaput’s New Book Addresses Man’s Greatest Spiritual Poverty: Not Knowing How to Die"
https://www.ncreg..."

Thank you Manny. I read the review and it reminded me of a good work on the same topic that I read last year.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

"Preparation for Death" by Alfonso María de Liguori

message 28: by Kerstin (new)

Manny wrote: "Here's a lightbulb moment for me: Christine, Kristen, and Kerstin all all variations of the same name. ;)"

It is. Mine is the Swedish version, though it has become more popular in Germany. When my parents chose the name it was not common.

message 29: by Manny (new)

OK, my friends. I got word from Maia. She was probably off over the weekend. Here is what she wrote:

"This is such great news, thank you for spearheading this! I'm so excited that your group is interested in the book. We are more than happy to send 18 copies if every member does end up being interested. What works best for me is if you would be able to have a spreadsheet or doc where people put in their addresses or you collect them and then send to me all at once. Then I can handle mailing out the books (or ebooks if there are people who would prefer that format)."

She can provide hardcopies for all of us if we want, and of course ebooks for those that want it. How gracious. She did want me to collect everyone's addresses. I was hoping each could individually send your address to her but I will have to be in the middle.

So send me a private message with your shipping address if you want a hardcopy or your email address if you want an ebook. I'll put that spreadsheet together and get it to her.

message 30: by Manny (new)

Just a reminder. Perhaps you didn't see my message just above this. Please read it. If you haven't done so, I will need your shipping address if you want a hardcopy of the book or an email address if you want a eBook.

Don't post it here. Send me a private message.

message 31: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments Done

message 32: by Manny (new)

Hey some news. I've now got everyone's address that responded to me. It comes out to 11 hardcopies and 3 ebooks. I'll wait one more day to give a few others who did not respond yet.

Now I had given her my address when she first contacted me, and the book has come in the mail today! So it's real. If everyone gets their copy within a week we can read as a book club right after Dark Night of the Soul.

message 33: by Manny (last edited Mar 18, 2021 06:08PM) (new)

I have just sent off sent off the list of addresses to the publisher this evening. She should probably see it in the morning. Total for our book club was 15 hardcopies and 4 ebooks. Let us know when you get receive it. We can then schedule our read.

message 34: by Manny (new)

OK, Maia responded to our list. Here's what she said:

"Thanks so much for collecting these Manny! I'm mailing out the hardcovers now and will email the ebooks shortly....Thanks so much and hope your group enjoys! Happy to pass along the discussion link to Archbishop Chaput's editor to send to him."

I would expect you might receive the book by early next week. That last sentence is in response to my request to pass on a link to our discussion to Archbishop Chaput. I don't know if he would join our conversation (I doubt it) but I thought he might be interested in seeing responses to his writing.

Let me know when you receive the book. If everyone receives the book next week, we'll start that book read after right after we finish Dark Night of the Soul.

message 35: by Kerstin (new)

Great!

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine Bengle | 35 comments Manny wrote: "OK, Maia responded to our list. Here's what she said:

"Thanks so much for collecting these Manny! I'm mailing out the hardcovers now and will email the ebooks shortly....Thanks so much and hope yo..."

I received the e book. I must have received yesterday but didn't see it until today because it went to my junk mail, so if others have not received they may want to check junk mail.

message 37: by Manny (new)

Fantastic Christine.

message 38: by Gerri (new)

Gerri Bauer (gerribauer) | 171 comments Manny, thank you so much for the work you've done on this. It's greatly appreciated!

message 39: by Manny (new)

So how many people have received the Chaput book? Im trying to plan ahead for the next read. I know Christine and Frances. Anyone one else?

message 40: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 151 comments I got mine. I just need to move it to my nook.

message 41: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 55 comments Not yet....

message 42: by Kerstin (new)

Still waiting...

message 43: by Manny (last edited Mar 25, 2021 10:04AM) (new)

OK, I wonder how Frances got it so quick. Christine and Joseph got an ebook, so that was easier. Let me know when you do.

message 44: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 602 comments I'm still waiting, but our Post Office is not the most reliable!

message 45: by Casey (new)

Casey (tomcasey) | 85 comments I waited for today's mail but not yet here either.

message 46: by Manny (new)

Since we're talking about the Archbishop's book here, I'll post this interview in America magazine with Chaput on his book here. Looks like a good read.

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith...

message 47: by Bill (new)

Bill Chapman | 2 comments Waiting

message 48: by Peej (new)

Peej | 37 comments Are we reading Chaput’s book next? Sorry, still trying to figure out how “Groups” works on an iPhone.

message 49: by Manny (new)

Peej wrote: "Are we reading Chaput’s book next? Sorry, still trying to figure out how “Groups” works on an iPhone."

Hi Patrick. We're not sure. Normally we would vote on the next selection but the publisher as you read above has promised us copies of the book. We're still waiting on those copies. We will be reading our current read for this week and next. So we have two weeks for the publisher to deliver them. If they come in within the next two weeks, yes, we will read Archbishop's Chaput's book. If it doesn't then we will go and nominate and vote for our next read. So just hang tight.

By the way, if you had joined a week before you would have gotten on the list for the free book. I can still try if you wish. If you send me your email address in a private message, I will forward it to the publisher and see if she can still give you a free ebook.

message 50: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 602 comments My copy of Archbishop Chaput's book arrived this morning. Yay!

« previous 1