Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
This topic is about Throne of Jade
Previous BOMs - Authors; M - P > Novik, Naomi--Throne of Jade informal buddy read starts July 24, 2018

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik.

Synopsis
When Britain intercepted a French ship and its precious cargo–an unhatched dragon’s egg–Capt. Will Laurence of HMS Reliant unexpectedly became master and commander of the noble dragon he named Temeraire. As new recruits in Britain’s Aerial Corps, man and dragon soon proved their mettle in daring combat against Bonaparte’s invading forces.

Now China has discovered that its rare gift, intended for Napoleon, has fallen into British hands–and an angry Chinese delegation vows to reclaim the remarkable beast. But Laurence refuses to cooperate. Facing the gallows for his defiance, Laurence has no choice but to accompany Temeraire back to the Far East–a long voyage fraught with peril, intrigue, and the untold terrors of the deep. Yet once the pair reaches the court of the Chinese emperor, even more shocking discoveries and darker dangers await.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

re

Lexi | 2647 comments Started today. Temeraire is so feisty.

Lexi | 2647 comments Finished. I didn't like it as much as the first one. (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2737 comments Checking in for Team Flitwick and starting today.

Karishma (karishmanewar) I didn't like this one either. And the blurbs and reviewsv for the others are not that great.
I'm just going to pretend the first book was a standalone and keep it at that!

message 8: by Deanna (last edited Jul 24, 2018 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deanna | 2737 comments Chapters 1 - 7

Historic credibility - (view spoiler)

Both governments - (view spoiler)

Temeraire - (view spoiler)

Laurence - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2737 comments Lexi wrote: "Started today. Temeraire is so feisty."

I agree. Temeraire has his own ideas of right and wrong that are sometimes different from human ones. He is such an intriguing character.

Deanna | 2737 comments Finished!

China - (view spoiler)

Temeraire - (view spoiler)

Overall - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2737 comments Lexi wrote: "Finished. I didn't like it as much as the first one. [spoilers removed]"

I agree. It was still good, but not as good as the first due to poor pacing, and none of the new characters were really well developed enough to replace all the characters missing from book one.

message 12: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 2647 comments Deanna wrote: "Lexi wrote: "Finished. I didn't like it as much as the first one. [spoilers removed]"

I agree. It was still good, but not as good as the first due to poor pacing, and none of the new characters we..."

Are you going to read the next one? I think I'm done with the series.

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1102 comments So I just finished this one while on my vacation. I'm a little in the minority since I still loved this book as much as the first, but I do understand where some of the frustration comes from. Then again this my second reading of the early books in the series and I remember things getting a little crazy once they get back to England.

(view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Throne of Jade (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Naomi Novik (other topics)