Hooked on Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > August 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Aug 04, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Having trouble getting through your to read shelf? Can't decide what to read next? Would you like someone to choose a book for you to read? This is a monthly challenge where participants get paired up randomly and their partner picks a book for them to read. If this sounds like fun to you, welcome to this month's Pick It For Me challenge!

Sign ups end on the 24th. Partners will be assigned shortly thereafter. Book choices for your partners are to be given on or before the 1st. Please check back often during that time to be sure that you don't miss anything!

Guidelines
** Sign up below with your to-read shelf (or the shelf you prefer your picks to come from). Please do this so I will not have to guess which one.
* Please be sure that your profile is set to public, or that you friend your partner so that they can see your shelves. - IF YOUR PROFILE IS NOT SET TO PUBLIC, PLEASE PROVIDE A LIST FOR YOUR PARTNER TO CHOOSE FROM

If you do not plan to participate or are unsure if you can pick a novel for your partner, PLEASE, PLEASE do not sign up. It is very difficult to re-pair individuals once we are underway.

After your partner selects a book for you, be sure and check back in each week or so to let us know your progress. Tell us if you like the book, love it or think it is just so-so.

Participants:

Alex picks for Swaroop Message 55

Bre (Pick 2) picks for Leticia Message 50

Carrie (Pick 2) picks for Sheridan (Pick 2) Message 37

Christine picks for Carrie (Pick 2) Message 36

Hermione (Friend and Pick 2) picks for Kathy Message 39

Jen picks for Susan Message 31

Jesa picks for Jen Message 48

Jess picks for Hermione (Friend and Pick 2) Message 32

Kat picks for Sara

Kathy picks for Kat Message 42

Kendra picks for Christine Message 46

Leticia picks for Jess Message 34

Nancy picks for Jesa Message 35

Sara picks for Nancy Message 40

Shea picks for Bre (Pick 2) Message 54

Sheridan (Pick 2) picks for Shea

Susan picks for Alex

Swaroop picks for Kendra Message 30

message 3: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) This is my first time giving this a shot so i'm in.
Here is my TBR list: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen (catlady1981) | 103 comments I'm in.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 1587 comments I would like to play along please
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 7: by Sheridan (new)

Sheridan Renae | 9 comments I am in with my to read shelf. Please pick 2

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara Wortman I'm in. :) Please pick from my to read list

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Nancy85 wrote: "This is my first time giving this a shot so i'm in.
Here is my TBR list: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list..."

Happy to have you join us! I'm sure you'll love it as much as I have! Let me know if you need anything or have any questions!

message 11: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) Nicole wrote: "Nancy85 wrote: "This is my first time giving this a shot so i'm in.
Here is my TBR list: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list..."

Happy to have you join us! I'm sure ..."

Thank you Nicole

message 12: by Jesa (new)

Jesa Burgoyne | 49 comments I’m in!
My shelf below.

Check out my to-read bookshttps://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 215 comments I'm in. I apologise for the immensity of my TBR!

message 15: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookworm2017) | 172 comments I'm in, from library list please

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) My birthday is August 15th. I'm considering letting anybody who wants to pick a book for me this month pick. I'll also pick for anybody who requests as well. I'll let you know my final decision on this after we pick partners. Is everybody okay with me picking partners the 26th?

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1159 comments I’ll pick a book for you Nicole and I hope have a great birthday

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Christine wrote: "I’ll pick a book for you Nicole and I hope have a great birthday"

Awe thanks :)

message 20: by Alex (new)

message 22: by Bre (last edited Jul 23, 2018 12:21PM) (new)

Bre Dang | 19 comments I'm in!! Please pick 2 :)

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1159 comments Your welcome Nicole

Do you want me to pick a book on here?

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Christine wrote: "Your welcome Nicole

Do you want me to pick a book on here?"

I'm waiting until I see how many people are participating to decide. I am giving everybody until the 28th this month since I waited so late to open the post. If there's an odd number, I'll be throwing my name into the list. If there's an even number, I'll be throwing my list in comments for anybody to pick for me. :)

message 25: by Hermione (last edited Jul 25, 2018 07:21AM) (new)

Hermione (hermionegrner_) | 49 comments I'm in! Please pick 2 books only from this list

message 26: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Everybody ready for me to pick partners? Or do you still want to wait until the 28th?

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 516 comments Now is good :)

message 28: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Since there was an even number of sign-ups without me signing up, anybody who wants to pick for me can. If you'd like for me to pick for you too, let me know! Everybody enjoy your August reads!!!!

My list:

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen (catlady1981) | 103 comments For Susan, I choose An Ember in the Ashes. I read this last month and absolutely loved it. I hope you do too.

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 215 comments For Hermione I pick

Room - One of my favourite books
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Hoping to get to this soon so I'd love to hear your thoughts

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 215 comments Hi Leticia,

I've made a pick it for me shelf to make it easier for you! Link is here

message 32: by Leticia (last edited Jul 26, 2018 03:03AM) (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 416 comments Hi,

from your list I read Brave New World Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and liked it a lot, it's one of the best original sci-fi I ever read, so I would recommend this.

Jess wrote: "Hi Leticia,

I've made a pick it for me shelf to make it easier for you! Link is here

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list..."

message 33: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) @Jesa

I picked Fifty Fifty (Detective Harriet Blue, #2) by James Patterson loved this book
I also picked Campfire by Shawn Sarles
Another book i picked Because You Love to Hate Me 13 Tales of Villainy by Ameriie heard this was a good book

Hope you like what i picked for you

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1159 comments Nicole - I picked A Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena
I read that book and it was so good

Carrie - I picked The Sound of Glass by Karen White
I have that book but I didn’t read it yet

message 35: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 155 comments For Sheridan,

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness & Blindsighted (Grant County, #1) by Karin Slaughter

I gave both of these books 4 stars

Happy Reading

message 36: by Hermione (new)

Hermione (hermionegrner_) | 49 comments Jess wrote: "For Hermione I pick

Room - One of my favourite books
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Hoping to get to this soon so I'd love to hear your thoughts"

Thank you, Jess! I'll let you know about what I thought of The Ocean at the End of the Lane!

message 37: by Hermione (new)

Hermione (hermionegrner_) | 49 comments Kathy, I pick for you A Clockwork Orange! Happy reading!

message 38: by Sara (new)

Sara Wortman For Nancy, I pick "Waiting for the Moon"
by Kristin Hannah. Sounds like a great read, enjoy!

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 516 comments Hermione wrote: "Kathy, I pick for you A Clockwork Orange! Happy reading!"

Good! Thanks I've moved it over to my read in August shelf!

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 516 comments For Kat, I have selected Forgotten by Cat Patrick because it sounds interesting. I might have to add it to my wish list :)

message 41: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 215 comments Leticia wrote: "Hi,

from your list I read Brave New World Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and liked it a lot, it's one of the best original sci-fi I ever read, so I would recommend this.

Jess wrote: "Hi Leticia..."

Thanks Leticia, I've been meaning to read it for a while but sometimes I think I need a bit of a push to read classics because I think 'well they'll always be there' thanks for giving me the push!

message 42: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) @sara I just ordered the book from amazon. It does sound good. Thanks for the suggestion

message 43: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) I do have a question. This is my first time doing this so do we usually have pick 1 book for our partners or can we pick more for them?

message 44: by Kendra (new)

Kendra maidment (kendra_maidment) | 36 comments For Christine I pick The Lying Game

message 45: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 516 comments Nancy85 wrote: "@sara I just ordered the book from amazon. It does sound good. Thanks for the suggestion"

Just pick one unless it says to pick 2 by their name.

message 46: by Jesa (last edited Jul 26, 2018 03:47PM) (new)

Jesa Burgoyne | 49 comments For Jen I pick, Furyborn, Neverworld Wake, and To Kill a Kingdom. Enjoy!

message 47: by Jesa (new)

Jesa Burgoyne | 49 comments @Nancy85, I will rate them on goodreads.

message 48: by Bre (new)

Bre Dang | 19 comments For Leticia I choose The Name of the Wind, its quite a chunk of a book but I really enjoyed it!

message 49: by Leticia (last edited Jul 27, 2018 02:51AM) (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 416 comments Thanks! I was meaning to read this for awhile, I even picked it in the library.
Bre wrote: "For Leticia I choose The Name of the Wind, its quite a chunk of a book but I really enjoyed it!"

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Nancy85 wrote: "I do have a question. This is my first time doing this so do we usually have pick 1 book for our partners or can we pick more for them?"

Some people request that we pick two from their list. When they do, we pick two. But I'm sure if you ask, some won't mind you picking more than one.

@Christine thanks for the pick! I forgot to take that down from last month but I still need to read it so it works! Would you like me to pick you one out?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.