Play Book Tag discussion

Us Against You (Beartown, #2)
This topic is about Us Against You
Archive: Other Books > Us Against You by Fredrik Backman 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (last edited Jul 20, 2018 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 6919 comments You might say this is a story about hockey and violence, and if you read only on the surface for the action, you wouldn't be wrong. But it's not just a story about hockey and violence. It's the story of people, largely the people in Beartown, a hockey town deep in the woods. If you are from Canada or a hockey town, you might understand just how important hockey can be, but then if you are from any small town or area where sports can sometimes be a way up and out, then you can also understand. But even if you aren't interested in sports, and I definitely am not a sports fan, there is still a great deal about people, about love, about emotions, about politics, about life that you can get a lot from this book.

This isn't Beartown all over again, and yet it is, because it is still set in Beartown. This isn't a story about rape, but then it rather is since how does someone ever recover from rape, or if that is even possible, how can a teenager recover as quickly as this book follows on the heels of the next? But it is about other struggles and other ways of being different, too, and trouble ensues when secrets are revealed, or at least one secret. And how quickly will those angry at the arrest of the rapist, star of the hockey team, which ruins Beartown's chance of winning and are concerned about the scandal, stop being angry?

I didn't give this five stars because there is violence in the book and I'm not a fan of violence, but I did give this four stars because this book is very good. Just don't read it expecting it to be exactly like Beartown, because it isn't. But it is still written by Fredrik Backman and still keeps that same sort of writing style he used in Beartown. And I still care about so many of the people in the book.

I was raised in a family with 4 hockey players and used to watch parts of hockey games sitting on my dad's knee on Hockey Night in Canada. My dad played for most of his life, (he hasn't played since he was somewhere in his 70s), two of my brothers, and, starting when she was around age 40, my sister, who plays in a women's league and also a doctor's league, I do sometimes ask, "if it doesn't have a puck, is it really a sport?"

But you don't have to know hockey to understand the most important parts of this book. You just have to know people.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Just finished this book. Backman is an amazing writer and understands humans and their emotions and actions so well. I can't get enough of his snapshot writing style.

This story, these people, this town, had me emotional, both with happiness and sadness.

message 3: by annapi (last edited Jul 23, 2018 11:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

annapi | 4903 comments Waiting till I'm in the mood for this, especially after Beartown, and also I just read Indian Horse. But I'll read it soon enough.

message 4: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I’m really looking forward to this. It will have to be post Man Booker now.

Karin | 6919 comments I'm glad others agree with me as I've read a few who either didn't like this or didn't want to read it!

Ellen | 2083 comments Just finished this today. Loved it!

message 7: by Karin (last edited Jul 25, 2018 03:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 6919 comments Ellen wrote: "Just finished this today. Loved it!"

I'm glad :). After reading a few negative things about it, I wasn't sure if I'd like it.

Joni | 606 comments Looking forward to reading it!!!!!!