Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager 2.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meli (last edited Jul 20, 2018 03:15PM) (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3391 comments This is Riley Sager's sophomore effort, following his best-seller Final Girls. I thought Final Girls was 'meh' but gave his second a try anyway through the Book of the Month club (my first).

It was equally 'meh.'

It's kind of a run-of-the-mill thriller, not really doing anything particularly creative, just a good ole suspenseful mystery you can burn through then forget about.

I don't think that is all bad, I would lump BA Paris into that category as well, and they have their place on my TBR for a reason. For me, and I would say the same to anyone I would potentially recommend this book to, it is good if you want an entertaining read that you don't have to think too much about. Just go along with the story, see where it leads, and try to figure out whodunit until the ultimate conclusion.

There were many red herrings, and luckily a surprising twist, not mind-blowing but went in an entirely different direction than where the reader is led.

If not for the little twist at the end I may have written this book off completely.

It was entertaining, but I give it below 3 because I wouldn't recommend because there are better things we can be reading. If a reader told me they loved Final Girls I may recommend though.

The other thing I find odd about this writer is the female pseudonym... It seems insincere. Of course, female authors have used male pseudonyms so they can be taken more seriously and not lumped into "chic lit," but as a male author does he need to have a female pseudonym to be successful in suspense? I don't think so... I can't decide if it's that important that he uses a female name, or harmfully disingenuous, but something I have been thinking about.

Despite saying all that, I suspect Sager's third book would likely end up on my TBR, haha. I'm not necessarily going to recommend his books, for the reasons I mentioned, but I like that mindless entertainment and I know what to expect from this author now which can be comforting.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I liked Final Girls enough for entertainment value- but not enough to reccomend it to anyone. Sounds like this one wasn't that much better.

Interesting thoughts on the authors pseudonym- maybe he is trying to be part of the 'psychological thrillers written by women' trend? But he's not female- so this was his attempt at being approachable to the female reader without being intimating? Ugh, that makes me not like him.... Who knows what his reasoning is.

message 3: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 10 comments I feel the same. It was a surprising twist but the book was just okay.

message 4: by Meli (last edited Jul 26, 2018 12:26PM) (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3391 comments Joi, I agree with your assessment of Final Girls, and that is true for The Last Time I Lied as well.

I feel the same about the pseudonym.
I find it irksome and it makes me like the writer less.
A pseudonym is fine, but why make it sound intentionally female?
JP Delaney is a similar case. I think his pseudonym is intentionally ambiguous, but mean to lead the reaser to assume the writer is female....?

Jillian, yep, agreed!

I am glad you both feel the same way because with all the accolades for Final Girls and excitement about his latest, I was wondering if it was just me or if I was missing something.