Play Book Tag discussion

Red Clocks
This topic is about Red Clocks
July 2018: Dystopian > (Decathlon) Red Clocks by Leni Zumas - 3.4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sushicat | 804 comments While I get why this is tagged dystopia, I would not have used the tag myself. The only difference I found between our present and the world we're introduced to is the one at the center of the book: the change in law that removes the options for a woman who wants to be or finds herself pregnant or wants to adopt a child.

The novel is told in shifting points of view by four women who find themselves affected by this change in different ways. While this makes for interesting shifts in perspective and showcases the effect of the change in laws on different situations, I found it reduced my engagement with the story. It took me a long time to actually get into the book and I probably would not have pushed on beyond the first couple of chapters if it had not been for the buddy read. Only in the second half where the connections between these women becomes evident did I start to appreciate the story more.

Anita Pomerantz | 6305 comments I have to agree that in the rear view mirror, I'm not totally sure dystopia is how I'd tag this book. It's really just a slightly alternate universe and though most of us would find this law to be untenable, there's a significant minority of Americans who would be jumping up and down with happiness about it. However, I loved it as a thematic book on feminism . . .