SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Members' Chat > Whatever happened to... ?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Is there a book you've heard is in the works, or just teased that it's going to happen... and then it sort of just disappears?

Is there an author you liked who seems to have dropped off the face of the planet... but not really?

Share your lamentation here! (Topic stolen borrowed from another group.)

I'll start off the sequel to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell which was teased way back in 2004.

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments Probably the most famous example, but "The Last Dangerous Visions" by Harlan Ellison. He accepted stories from over 90 authors to be printed in 3 volumes and basically did nothing with them from about 1975 till his death this year. I'm hoping something will be released in regards to it, although many of the writers withdrew their stories and published them elsewhere.

Probably his biggest black mark on his creative/literary career, since he was always one to bluster about taking care of writers as an anthologist.

message 3: by Rosina (last edited Jul 20, 2018 12:38PM) (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 56 comments The Door Into Starlight

The concluding book of the Tale of the Five, which I have been waiting for since the publication of The Door into Sunset in 1992,

message 4: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Jul 20, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
More by Erin Morgenstern (of Night Circus fame) and Katherine Addison (Goblin Emperor)!

There's like, a photo book beyond their debuts. Not really the same thing for me.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Allison wrote: "More by Erin Morgenstern (of Night Circus fame) and Katherine Addison (Goblin Emperor)!"

I'd love more from Morgenstern as well!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Rosina wrote: "The Door Into Starlight

The concluding book of the Tale of the Five, which I have been waiting for since the publication of The Door into Sunset in 1992,"

O_O

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike Same with David Gerrold’s War Against the Chtorr. The series is unfinished and the last book was published in 1993. 25 years and counting. Makes the 7 years since GRRM’s last ASoIaF novel seem paltry.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2610 comments My issue isn’t so much books that “disappeared” but books I want to read that aren’t for sale here. James Wilde released one called Pendragon awhile back but sadly I can’t read it.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments Seressia Glass

She was writing a UF series I'd started which was pretty good:

Shadow Blade - 2010
Shadow Chase - 2010
Shadow Fall - 2014

I haven't seen her published since 2015 and her site is dark. But someone mentioned she accepted a friend request a few days ago.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2285 comments Surprised to see nobody mention Patrick Rothfuss's Doors of Stone.

message 12: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments same time schedule as George R.R. Martin

message 13: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Surprised to see nobody mention Patrick Rothfuss's Doors of Stone."

Trying not to think about him and GRRM! If I don't wonder what happened, maybe whatever they're doing is *still happening* and everything's fine.

It's fine!

I'm fine.

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 314 comments Anybody else still waiting fruitlessly on Darkbane? It's Book 3 in the Legendsongs fantasy series. Darkfall Darkfall (The Legendsong, #1) by Isobelle Carmody was published 1997. Darksong Darksong (The Legendsong, #2) by Isobelle Carmody came along in 2002. And then...... nothing.

Ms Carmody has published numerous other books during that time, but has not yet completed this trilogy. It's so long now since I read the first two that I've almost forgotten them, but I do remember really liking them at the time. Darkbane is still listed on her website as 'forthcoming'. Uh huh...........

message 15: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments also, at least we're only due for one more book to finish a trilogy with Rothfuss, supposedly Martin's series will take 2 more books

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 314 comments Sarah wrote: "My issue isn’t so much books that “disappeared” but books I want to read that aren’t for sale here. James Wilde released one called Pendragon awhile back but sadly I can’t read it."

Have you tried a secondhand hard copy through abebooks.com? I've had some luck that way with hard-to-get books.

message 17: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments Yeah Darkbane is eagerly awaited in our house too.

message 18: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Cheryl wrote: "The sequel to The Host."

This is the one that I thought of immediately!

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 314 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Yeah Darkbane is eagerly awaited in our house too."

:)

message 20: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1018 comments Jan130 wrote: "Anybody else still waiting fruitlessly on Darkbane? It's Book 3 in the Legendsongs fantasy series. Darkfall Darkfall (The Legendsong, #1) by Isobelle Carmody was published 1997. [book:Darkso..."

Ooh, I want that one, too!

message 21: by Jain (new)

Jain | 92 comments Allison wrote: "More by...Katherine Addison (Goblin Emperor)!"

She and Elizabeth Bear have co-written a historical mystery novel coming out this September, if you're interested in non-SFF by her: The Cobbler's Boy (I'm super excited!)

Also, if you haven't checked out her work as Sarah Monette, I recommend it. It's very different from The Goblin Emperor, but very good. I especially love The Bone Key: The Necromantic Mysteries of Kyle Murchison Booth and her and Bear's Iskryne World series.

message 22: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Thanks Jain! Those do sound interesting!

message 23: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments Mine is The Captal's Tower by Melanie Rawn. It would be the conclusion to her Exiles Trilogy.

The last book came out in 1997 I believe. I don't blame her at all because she went through some personal issues and depression. Authors are human, and we all have our issues, so I can't really be mad about a book not coming out when someone's mental health is involved.

It seems like every few years I hear something about her saying she still intends to write it. If it comes out I'll be happy, but I'm not really expecting it.

message 24: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) J.V. Jones —- she’s four books into her latest series but there hasn’t been a peep out of her or her publisher in over eight years.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellehartline) | 1776 comments James Clemens' Godslayer trilogy. Book two came out at least 10-11 years ago, and I guess that was it. Stina Leicht's Fey and the Fallen series has the same problem...no third book on the horizon.

message 26: by Donald (new)

Donald | 240 comments GRRM: Tick.
Rothfuss: Tick.
Carmody: Tick.
Rawn: Tick.

The third and the fourth were so long ago that I'd actually forgotten all about them and given up. I still have the Ruins of Ambrai on my bookshelf, notice it from time to time and wonder "whatever happened to those characters"... never thinking it was still unfinished.

message 27: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1018 comments Donald wrote: "GRRM: Tick.
Rothfuss: Tick.
Carmody: Tick.
Rawn: Tick.

The third and the fourth were so long ago that I'd actually forgotten all about them and given up. I still have the Ruins of Ambrai on my boo..."

I have to confess not starting GRRM because of the lack of completeness of the series. (And because I'm not sure I really want to read what I hear is a lot of graphic violence and sex.)

But...

I have read the other three. Sigh...

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 35 comments I love both of Naomi Kritzer's series but she hasn't written a novel since 2006. I really want her to make a comeback!

message 29: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller CBRetriever wrote: "same time schedule as George R.R. Martin"

Book 6 has had publication pushed back 3 times already! We are now at possible 2020...... *cries*

message 30: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments Alondra wrote: "CBRetriever wrote: "same time schedule as George R.R. Martin"

Book 6 has had publication pushed back 3 times already! We are now at possible 2020...... *cries*"

at least with the Rothfuss series, whenever the next book is released, it's the final one in the trilogy

message 31: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments By contrast Mark Lawrence already had Grey Sister and Holy Sister (I believe that’s the final book in the series) finished and at the publishers when Red Sister was published last year. All three were finished and submitted at the same time. The only reason we are waiting for the final one is that the publishers are releasing them a year apart.

message 32: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

CBRetriever wrote: "Alondra wrote: "CBRetriever wrote: "same time schedule as George R.R. Martin"

Book 6 has had publication pushed back 3 times already! We are now at possible 2020...... *cries*"

at least with the ..."

Although Pat says now that Kingkiller is just a 3000 page prologue to the real story so I remain in a state of fugue-like depression.

https://www.tor.com/2018/03/07/patric...

message 33: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Jacqueline wrote: "By contrast Mark Lawrence already had Grey Sister and Holy Sister (I believe that’s the final book in the series) finished and at the publishers when Red Sister was published last year. All three w..."

Yes, authors, look at Mark! Mark gets a gold star for timeliness of his works.

message 34: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 444 comments One of the very first e-books I read, when I bought my Kindle, was supposed to be the first book of a trilogy. It came out in 2015 yet there's still no hint of the sequels and I pretty much consider it abandoned. The fact that it can work as a standalone (it seems the sequels would delve into a bit different part of the world) is a small consolation, it looked promising.

I guess such are the risks of reading self-published books where the lack of visible success can cause writers to give up.

message 35: by Jan (last edited Jul 31, 2018 12:57AM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 314 comments Yeah I read a kindle published in 2016 that I presume was a self-published/indie. It was 'supposed' to have a sequel published in 'early' 2017, but no sign of it so far. Strictly speaking it's a paranormal romance rather than a fantasy novel, but I really enjoyed it actually, and I'm sorry there's no sign of the sequel (yet). A pity.

The SnowFang Bride The SnowFang Bride (Snowfang #1) by Merry Ravenell

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Leonie wrote: "I have to confess not starting GRRM because of the lack of completeness of the series. (And because I'm not sure I really want to read what I hear is a lot of graphic violence and sex.)"

This thread, in general, sort of does beg the whole "to start or to wait" question.

I know quite a few people who have stated that they don't read ongoing series anymore precisely because of these series that peter out and never seem to finish...

For me it seems to depend on how keen I am on the series, whether I wait or steam ahead.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Also waiting for The Returned by Victoria Schwab - book the third, and presumably final, in The Archived series.

She's written other stuff, and this series seems to have just been backburnered or abandoned...

message 38: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller CBRetriever wrote: "at least with the Rothfuss series, whenever the next book is released, it's the final one in the trilogy ..."

This is true and I have not even started this series, yet. Hopefully book 3 comes out before I read the first two.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Allison wrote: "Although Pat says now that Kingkiller is just a 3000 page prologue to the real story so I remain in a state of fugue-like depression.

https://www.tor.com/2018/03/07/patric... "

I remember this was theorized awhile back and is one of the reasons why I bailed on the series after being underwhelmed by the first massive tome...

message 40: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller What I am really hoping for is a conclusion to the alphabet series with Kinsey Milhone. For those who are fans of Grafton's only series; then you know she passed away and did not leave hint of the letter Z. Family statements says that there will NOT be a letter Z and that is final.

This almost seems weird to me, because the author knew she had cancer and did not have a final conclusion or outline for the last book with a beloved character.

I still recommend the series, because Kinsey does a lot of growing through the series.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "Allison wrote: "Although Pat says now that Kingkiller is just a 3000 page prologue to the real story so I remain in a state of fugue-like depression.

https://www.tor.com/2018/03/07/patric... "

I..."

I feel you on that! Though I do like his style of writing.

message 42: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Yeah, Kvothe seems to be a love or hate character. Idk that I'm in for a 20 year wait for the full story, so Door of Stone better blow me away.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments Alondra wrote: "What I am really hoping for is a conclusion to the alphabet series with Kinsey Milhone. For those who are fans of Grafton's only series; then you know she passed away and did not leave hint of the ..."

oh shit!!!!!!!

I want to say I didn't know she died but then again I *think* I heard about it. I didn't know she had cancer and I didn't know she didn't even leave an outline!

I haven't read this series in years and years but it is my only mystery series (besides The Cat Who) and I adored Kinsey - even with her bad boyfriend decisions and terrible hair.

Wow.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Allison wrote: "Yeah, Kvothe seems to be a love or hate character. Idk that I'm in for a 20 year wait for the full story, so Door of Stone better blow me away."

I kind of feel the same way about Dresden.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't love Dresden and I can't say my enthusiasm was exactly stoked back on Book 13 when Butcher is saying there's going to be 10 more...

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments I'm pretty over series that have more than 3 books.

message 46: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 883 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "I kind of feel the same way about Dresden"

If he continues writing them at his current speed he will be a very old man by the time he has done 10 more. I wish he would stop writing back stories and get on with the real books

message 47: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Phrynne wrote: "colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "I kind of feel the same way about Dresden"

If he continues writing them at his current speed he will be a very old man by the time he has done 10 more. I w..."

Yes, this. Finish the main story!

I like Dresden enough for a couple day read every year or so. But as always, I can see character traits/writing style choices that would irk people. I like that there are consequences for him and the one time he (view spoiler) But yeah...23 books is so many books.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments He can kiss my ass on 23 books, lol. My favorite authors had it right: want to write a billion books in the same world? CHANGE characters and make shorter stories.

Andre Norton pretty much wrote stories all over her world but she did it in smaller series. Mercedes Lackey does the same.

message 49: by Donald (new)

Donald | 240 comments Dresden, to me, isn't really that different from Bond or these crime novel series where it's basically the same thing over and over again with a bit of built-up universe around them. It's just that genre expectations require a traditional series set-up whereas there wouldn't be that same expectation in others.

message 50: by Donald (new)

Donald | 240 comments Oh, one I forgot:

- the Shadow Police/London Falling series by Paul Cornell.

Book 3 left plenty of unanswered questions and then a year after its release Paul blogged that Tor has declined to pick up any more books in that series. While it at least provides clarity, the series itself needs one more book (at least) to close off some of the stuff left hanging.

« previous 1