Play Book Tag discussion

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
This topic is about Scythe
July 2018: Dystopian > Scythe by Neal Shusterman - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments It's an unknown time in the future, life has been good for so long that people have stopped counting. In 2042 death was conquered and once immortality was a thing, passing time no longer was an issue. The world is perfect and is being run by what people in the past used to call "the cloud" but is now known as The Thunderhead. Since The Thunderhead knows everything it has made the world a perfect place, no more poverty, hunger, death, even pain is more easily dealt with. But just because death has been conquered doesn't mean that people have stopped populating, and so Scythes are appointed to help with population control. They have a certain gleaning quota to meet every year to help the earth from being overpopulated.

If I were to describe this book in one word it would be gripping. Scythe was a weird mix between a utopia and a dystopia but I honestly loved every second of it. If you are looking for a fast paced read, this isn't the book for you. It is more contemplative than anything else, but I appreciated that because even though this is a book about death, Shusterman didn't deal with the deaths irreverently. I thought his writing was as good as his story, I did not see the twists and turns coming and the ending wowed me. Would definitely recommend this book, even if you don't particularly like dystopia.

I have promised myself that I will not buy another book until I read 5 of my current Kindle books (of which Scythe was the first) but after that I will probably be purchasing Thunderhead.

message 2: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2505 comments Wow. This sounds right up my alley. And it’s part of a series, too

message 3: by Hebah (new) - added it

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I keep hearing great things about this book, not the least of which is from a friend and former coworker who wants somebody, anybody else to read it so she has someone to talk to about it.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I've enjoyed other works by Neal Shusterman, and have been considering Scythe. You've convinced me to add it to my lists; thank you!

message 5: by Magdalena (new) - added it

Magdalena | 414 comments I kept hearing about this but I was always confused as to what it was about exactly. Thanks for the review you've convinced me!

message 6: by Idit (new) - added it

Idit | 1028 comments Ooh cool. I was noticing at the book shop. They were pushing it and it looked tempting.

They put it in the young adult area. Would you read it with a young tweenager? (We are reading Nevermoor now

message 7: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments I personally wouldn’t read it with a tweenager, at least not without reading it myself first. The deaths can be quite gruesome. If it were a movie it would probably be rated 13, perhaps even 16, for violence. I think it pushes the YA boundaries.

message 8: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments This sounds interesting, but it is part of a series that is not yet complete...

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Sushicat wrote: "This sounds interesting, but it is part of a series that is not yet complete..."

Oh dear. Thanks for the heads-up!

message 10: by JoLene (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I’ve been noticing this one ....so thanks for the review, I’ll add to the TBR.

message 11: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8645 comments Missed this review initially. Sounds really good!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Scythe (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Neal Shusterman (other topics)