Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Teetotaled: 1 Star

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Teetotaled (Discreet Retrieval Agency, #2) by Maia Chance

Teetotaled, Maia Chance

Wow, what an unbelievably poorly written book.....

So you ask: "Why did you keep reading it?" It was there & I was bored & needed a break from my computer & artwork.....

The main character (M.C., because I can not remember her name) & her former cook, Berta, have opened the "Discreet Retrieval Agency"; these two are anything but discreet.... She just can not keep her mouth shut about her investigations...

M.C., is a former member of society, he husband has died & left her with nothing... His brother has taken over the family home & is about to marry M.C.'s sister.

M.C. & Bertha are hired to retrieve a young woman's diary; which will have serious implications for some rich society man.... M.C. & Berta check into a health farm which is run by M.C.'s brother-in-law. The retrieval of the diary is for naught; the young disappears; and an older society matron is found dead w/ an empty bottle of rum in her hand (but she only drank gin).

M.C. is hot for Ralph Oliver, who has recently returned from Cuba. He too is an investigator, but a very subtle & discreet one, who divulges little or nothing to M.C. about his case, which parallels hers.

The dialog between the characters makes M.C. seem shallow, insipid & inane.

The ending was totally ridiculous and uninspiring.

No matter how much this author strove for cute, she failed.

If you want a better mystery set in the 1920's read: Phryne Fisher, Grace and Favor, or Amory & Milo....

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2211 comments Sounds like I need a new shelf labelled ‘don’t bother’ lol!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments I have one called: I never intend to finish....

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2211 comments Hahaha!

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments KateNZ wrote: "Hahaha!"

actually it is in Book Chat's discussions