Reading Works By Women discussion

Year Long Challenge > carissa's Year Long Challenge

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by carissa (last edited Dec 08, 2018 10:40PM) (new)

carissa 1. A book by a woman from Asia.-Sorry to Disrupt the Peace by Patty Yumi Cottrell (born in Korea, raised in USA)
2. A book by a woman from Africa.- Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi (Nigeria)
3. A book by a woman from South America.- .-Die, my Love by Ariana Harwicz (Argentina)
4. A book by a woman from North America.-The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence (Canada)
5. A book by a woman from Oceania.-The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose (Australia)
6. A book by a woman from Europe-Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively
7. A book that is by a Nobel prize winner-July’s People by Nadine Gordimer (1991 for Lit)
8. A biography or memoir- Chronology of Water by Lidia Yuknavitch
9. A short story collection- Our Dead World by Liliana Colanzi
10. A book of poetry.- Life on Mars : poems by Tracy K Smith
11. A book in translation-The Perfect Nanny by Leïla Slimani (French/France)
12. A book that was written in the 18th century or earlier-The Adventures of Rivella by Manley Delarivier
13. A mystery, thriller or crime novel that has won an award-Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
14. A book by an author new to you.-Baise-Moi by Virginie Despentes
15. A book more than 500 pages long.-The Blind Assassin by Margret Atwood
16. A book that was written in the 19th century.-The Rector by Mrs. Oliphant
17. A family saga.- World Of Love by Elizabeth Bowen
18. A book that is about persecution or oppression.-Chasing the King of Hearts by Hanna Krall
19. A book that has a woman's name in the title.- Ladivine by Marie NDiaye
20. A book that has a colour in the title. –The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Read 20/20

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) carissa wrote: "1. A book by a woman from Asia.-Sorry to Disrupt the Peace by Patty Yumi Cottrell (born in Korea, raised in USA)
3. A book b..."

That's one heck of an impressively diverse and wonderful list, Carissa. Top 2 favorites?

message 3: by carissa (new)

carissa Carol wrote: "Top 2 favorites? ."

um um um...they were all good reads, except for The Rector. It was good in a historical/learning sense, but not a fun read for me.

I adore Ladivine, Freshwater, Stone Angel and Chasing the King of Hearts...but, Chronology of Water is in my top reads of the year at this point! I am half-way through my first Tey mystery and it's in the adore pile too.

How about you?

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) carissa wrote: "1. A book by a woman from Asia.-Sorry to Disrupt the Peace by Patty Yumi Cottrell (born in Korea, raised in USA)
3. A book b..."

Great list.

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) carissa wrote: "Carol wrote: "Top 2 favorites? ."

um um um...they were all good reads, except for The Rector. It was good in a historical/learning sense, but not a fun read for me.

I adore Ladivine, Freshwater,..."

Love Josephine Tey

message 6: by carissa (new)

carissa Tracey wrote: "Great list."

Thanks Tracey.
I was just looking it over and am not convinced that Elmet is an actual saga, so need to find something that will qualify.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) carissa wrote: "Carol wrote: "Top 2 favorites? ."

I adore Ladivine, Freshwater,..."

I hasn’t heard of Chronology or Chasing, and Ive owned Ladivine for some time without reading it, so thanks for the introductions and nudge! I should start making a best-of list for 2018, given the rate at which it’s flying past. My challenge lists are all comprised of quirky subsets... Stone Angel will definitely be on my top ten for the year.

message 8: by Tracey (last edited Apr 23, 2019 04:13PM) (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) carissa wrote: "1. A book by a woman from Asia.-Sorry to Disrupt the Peace by Patty Yumi Cottrell (born in Korea, raised in USA)
3. A book b..."

Hi Carrisa, just noticed you completed your list. And pretty impressively. What would you say are your favourite two books on th list?